George Williams is rubbish! Waste of a marquee player!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Williams is rubbish! Waste of a marquee player!

Post by pedro »

The booze hound wrote:Williams has all the tools except a rugby brain.
said it for months couldnt agree more
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

He came into the side with alot of potential and has not played with any half back to learn from! He's been by far the best half back we've had for a while but he won't go forward when he's learning off planks!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wandering Warrior wrote:He came into the side with alot of potential and has not played with any half back to learn from! He's been by far the best half back we've had for a while but he won't go forward when he's learning off planks!
no he hasnt
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

cherry.pie wrote:Don't know what it is with Williams as he's already shown what he's capable of in Super League. Up until he signed his marquee contract he seemed to be developing his game, adding some smart passes in there and was the most dangerous short kicker in Super League.

And since then it's all just...gone! Struggles to put those good kicks in, I don't think he's created a try with a smart cut-out pass in over a year and doesn't seem to want to get involved in organising plays.

I don't know whether this is as a result of signing such a bit contract and he can't handle the pressure, whether he's been sussed out and now can't improve or adapt his game, or whether our game plan is just structured so rigidly that we don't see any deviation from a stale, predictable pattern.
Or maybe it is Wane telling him how he wants him to play and taken the heart out of him.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

pedro wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:He came into the side with alot of potential and has not played with any half back to learn from! He's been by far the best half back we've had for a while but he won't go forward when he's learning off planks!
no he hasnt
You're right, silly me, both Smith and Powell are/were better and both derided on here!
Tell me Pedro, who has been the best half back that has played when Williams has?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

To borrow a horse racing term, Williams and Powell are "fully exposed". They have no more improvement in them, and their weaknesses are there for all to see.

Powell's momentary hesitation before passing from dummy half is not going to go away; and Williams has developed the same habit with his kicking - for example the high kick in the second half when he allowed his chasing players to run offside.

Warrington's quick play the ball and their players' ability to offload had us on the back foot throughout. The effective response would be to do it back to them, but with halfbacks like our and forwards who are coached not to offload what do we expect?
gaz72

Post by gaz72 »

Off the current topic.As an fc fan thought Wigan were well off it today made Wire look better than they are.
Wigan still have a great team and will still be in the GF mix.
Like to just say how sad to see SW leave.
A true passionate Wigan ex player and current coach who wears his heart on his sleeve.
Will miss his professional attitude and dignity he showed.

bertina

George Williams.

Post by bertina »

Just watched the game on tv after returning from Warrington.
Didn’t think it could look any worse than it did live. IT WAS.
I don’t really like to pick out 1 player after such an abysmal performance, but George Williams was absolute garbage.
Kicked the ball dead god knows how many times giving them 20 metres & seven tackles.
Created nothing (again)
Whoever got him this marquee deal played an absolute blinder.
He’s been comprehensively outplayed by almost every half back we have seen this season.
With the exodus of players for next season, if we don’t sign a decent play making half back we are in deep trouble.
Wire were so called desperate to sign Williams so we gave him marquee status. They must be laughing their bloody heads off.
Hanley the God!

Re: George Williams.

Post by Hanley the God! »

I totally agree Bettina and have been saying so for a long time. I agree with everything you say but unfortunately the cherry and white tinted spectacle wearers always disagree and defend him! He's absolutely rubbish and a hurried (Wane prompted) marquee player. What a waste of money!! Or is he being coached that way by waste of space Wane??
jasonnlouise

Re: George Williams.

Post by jasonnlouise »

He's been abysmal since getting marquee status it says everything when he couldn't get in England's starting line up for world cup instead of taking a look at himself he's just rested on a big contract I'm not a fan of Powell at half back but he's been better than Williams and that says it all