Cut our losses

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Yonner

Re: Cut our losses

Post by The Yonner »

I seem to recall something similar happened when Stuart Raper unexpectedly announced half way through the season that he had signed a contract somewhere else for next year - performance on the field dropped like a stone.

When that happened Maurice Lindsay took decisive action. Will Ian Lenagan do the same?
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I said before HKR game that our season may unravel, the last two games have shown nothing to doubt this. We were lucky to get 0 today!
Zidane did it right!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Very disappointing afternoon and a quiet drive home. I am struggling to understand how the team we saw at the Magic Weekend became the team we watched at HKR and this afternoon at Warrington.

I know people on other threads have blamed the fact that Shaun has said he is leaving, whilst other say he hasn't left soon enough. I is not just one thing that this transformation has come about by, though I am struggle to see why.

There are a lot more people on this site that have great rugby league knowledge than me, but nobody can seem to hang their hat on the problem, well down to one cure all.

I do not go to all the away games, like so many like Josie do, but go when I can afford to. It is very depressing to see a team like Wigan get so easily beaten by a team we beat so effectively two weeks ago. As the saying goes "Answers on the back of a Postcard".
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

The weaknesses have been there for a long time. It's only when you come up against the top sides that they are revealed in their true relief.

The good form earlier in the season may have been more to do with having a near fully fit squad while the opposition have conversely had their problems rather than anything pro-actively being done to correct the faults.

It seems hard to believe the Tomkins and Wane leaving announcements are not linked in some way though.

While it should be possible for Sam to apply himself to good effect in the time he has left, I think Shaun Wane will struggle to come back from this situation.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The Yonner wrote:
While it should be possible for Sam to apply himself to good effect in the time he has left, I think Shaun Wane will struggle to come back from this situation.
He didn't apply himself too well yesterday.
BriH

Post by BriH »

The Yonner wrote:I seem to recall something similar happened when Stuart Raper unexpectedly announced half way through the season that he had signed a contract somewhere else for next year - performance on the field dropped like a stone.

When that happened Maurice Lindsay took decisive action. Will Ian Lenagan do the same?
Correct. I remember that! Right thing to do. SW step aside: JT's contract terminated immediately. John Winder acting Coach.
Will be watching for an announcement from IL on Monday.
Need to restore the good name of Wigan RL Club ASAP.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If Shaun Wane truely loved the club as much as he claims he does then surely he should see the damage he is causing and walk straight away allowing a new coach to come in and assess the players so they can decide who stays and who goes, write this season off as a transition and go into next season a more cohesive side minus the jobs for the boys mentality
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote:If Shaun Wane truely loved the club as much as he claims he does then surely he should see the damage he is causing and walk straight away allowing a new coach to come in and assess the players so they can decide who stays and who goes, write this season off as a transition and go into next season a more cohesive side minus the jobs for the boys mentality
He can only walk away straightaway if a replacement is already lined up. Which doesn't seem likely. Otherwise the only alternative will be Winder stepping up to Head Coach for the rest of this season. But if, as suggested, he already does most of the coaching anyway, that's not going to result in any great sea-change, is it?
jao711

Post by jao711 »

stanthemanc wrote:After today’s game I think we should just let Sam go now along with wane ,Sutton and Leuluai give the youngsters a chance like woods ganson
. The last time somebody suggested cutting our losses mid season we won the Grand Final.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

jao711 wrote:
stanthemanc wrote:After today’s game I think we should just let Sam go now along with wane ,Sutton and Leuluai give the youngsters a chance like woods ganson
. The last time somebody suggested cutting our losses mid season we won the Grand Final.
It gets said all the time so do we count every year we never won the grand final also?