Sam & Joel, The Video

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Josie's friend

Re: Sam & Joel, The Video

Post by Josie's friend »

Mike wrote:My only problem with the club is that its treated as if a different punishment is required if the public know vs the public not knowing.

If they'd have come out and said the incident was dealt with in the past to the satisfaction of all involved, they wouldn't have an issue from me.
This is exactly right, we didn't need to know about fines etc. It's the cover up that's the issue for me, clearly they only acted once it was leaked
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Flash wrote:
Mike wrote:My only problem with the club is that its treated as if a different punishment is required if the public know vs the public not knowing.

If they'd have come out and said the incident was dealt with in the past to the satisfaction of all involved, they wouldn't have an issue from me.
Mike, while I get your sentiment, no sporting club does this. In fact, no organizations be they political, business, entertainment or anything else do this. Why do you feel Wigan should be the only exception?

Look at some recent examples such as the Oxfam scandal, political cover-ups, pension mis-handling, Carillion, the Grenfell Tower fire, Hillsborough or any number of other incidents both small and large. Things are only ever dealt with once they become exposed or in the public domain.

I'm willing to guess you didn't turn yourself in the last time you drove over the speed limit or did anything else you really shouldn't have. I'm equally willing to guess you would have expressed your remorse had you been caught. That's the way the world works, for better or worse. Wigan, as an organization, is no different and it's completely unreasonable to expect otherwise.

The issue was dealt with to everyone's satisfaction judging from the information we have from all the parties involved. That's as far as it needed to go had it not made it's way into the public domain.

If there is any fault it's in the clubs naivety in taking it on trust that the video had been deleted or that it wouldn't find its way on to social media.
I dunno, Rangi Chase was sacked at least twice without anyone knowing exactly why. And recently Case have let their PNG signing go for an off field incident that has not been released to the public fully yet. I'd say it's pretty common in sport for players to be disciplined for things that aren't in the public domain. If they do it right you only find out they've been banned later on - they're usually "injured" or just not selected.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

I've just read through five pages of this topic on Redvee. By and large, they are not being anywhere as severe as we are over this mess. Generally, their posters think that the club has acted honourably in the punishments doled out and they accept that people get bladdered and do daft things. no-one says "what do you expect from Wigan" etc etc which I'm sure we would be saying had it been, say, LMS in this situation.
Their last poster, for me, has it right when he says it's time to draw a line under this, they got drunk, got a massive penalty, time to move on.
We've got half a season to play, a Grand Final to win on October 13th and a new coach and re-structured team to put together.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bill.inger wrote:I've just read through five pages of this topic on Redvee. By and large, they are not being anywhere as severe as we are over this mess. Generally, their posters think that the club has acted honourably in the punishments doled out and they accept that people get bladdered and do daft things. no-one says "what do you expect from Wigan" etc etc which I'm sure we would be saying had it been, say, LMS in this situation.
Their last poster, for me, has it right when he says it's time to draw a line under this, they got drunk, got a massive penalty, time to move on.
We've got half a season to play, a Grand Final to win on October 13th and a new coach and re-structured team to put together.
I think the response from Wigan fans over this has been admirable and correct you do not ever under any circumstances threaten or intimidate a woman simple as that it’s cowardly at best and in my drinking days the barmaids word was lore if she said out it meant out.

Wigan have become a joke through Joel and as long as he plays for the side that picture will follow him and this club around like a Beady eyed albatross.

The drunk defence in this less tolerant age doesn’t wash for a lot of people I hope the club realise this.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Sorry but what relevance does the redvee forum have in all of this?
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

I agree with Bill.inger, time to move on.
There does seem to be a lot of complaint on here that the club hasn't acted appropriately in some way, and only got prodded when the video became public knowledge.
But that assumes the public has a right to know every detail of every going on, and that isn't really true.
"Of interest to the public" is not the same as "being in the public interest". The club should be able to conduct matters in discretion.
The club has acted, miscreants punished, victims compensated. Time to move on.
Stevethegas
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Seen on facebook, Indiana Joel and the Rectum from Wigan. :lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I find it disheartening how many people feel like this is "a bit of nothing". Might be a reflection of modern society but i find this video utterly abhorrent. Joel is a big fella and for him to push/threaten and abuse a female member of staff who was simply asking him to leave due to intoxicated nature cant be anything than a sackable offence to someone earning probably 7-10 times the average wage.

If this was me i would expect to be sacked by my employer. The "he's just a bit drunk" argument doesnt cut it

if this standard of behaviour is accepted by Wigan then that sets the stall out on the values of the club
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I find it disheartening how many people feel like this is "a bit of nothing". Might be a reflection of modern society but i find this video utterly abhorrent. Joel is a big fella and for him to push/threaten and abuse a female member of staff who was simply asking him to leave due to intoxicated nature cant be anything than a sackable offence to someone earning probably 7-10 times the average wage.

If this was me i would expect to be sacked by my employer. The "he's just a bit drunk" argument doesnt cut it

if this standard of behaviour is accepted by Wigan then that sets the stall out on the values of the club
Well said.

I used to work part time as a barmaid in the 80’s at the Griffin. Thursday night the majority of Wigan players used to do the ‘Lane’.

By the time they got to the Griffin they were nearly all drunk. The worse thing I heard then was swearing, which wasnt used as publicly as it is now.

I would tell them regularly to either stop or move out of the ‘lounge’ area & go into the games area, where it was mainly men anyway.

They would all stop! One of the more sober players would come & apologise & that was that.

The only other thing which has me confused, is why were the police not sent for as soon as it could be seen that trouble was starting & being asked to leave was being ignored? As far as I’m aware, that is the first thing the police tell you to do!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I nearly got thrown out of the Railway on Saturday night for singing the Sean O'Loughlin song along to the artist on stage, but as soon as someone told me to stop I did. And I'd had more than Joel after hammering the 2 pint pots at the game.

The thing that gets me is the ban he's been given. Fair enough fine him, but then giving him a month off is better for him than us. He should play each game without pay, and prove to us he's worth keeping.