Tomkins exclusive: “I’m deeply ashamed”

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Tomkins exclusive: “I’m deeply ashamed”

Post by moto748 »

I agree, cherry, but of course Hardaker was well on train when this affair happened. He will have to kept on a very short leash.

But what to do with JT next season?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

cherry.pie wrote: I think it's important that the club doesn't act in a way that leaves them wide open to accusations of double standards, and tolerating poor behaviour based on value to the team.
That's what I mean: you or me or any us could be accused of hypocrisy or double standards or illogicality (is that a word?). And batting that back and forth on the internet is part of the fun of being a fan.

But the club has to be seen to be acting in the right way. A much more serious matter.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

I'm not 100% happy about Hardaker but he will have served his punishment by the time he plays.

Bateman/Mossop was reported as pretty serious but the evidence was largely hearsay?

Tompkins incident is not good but the evidence is there for all to see.

Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I do like how some of the sack JT comments are down to a dislike of the player.

Contacting the club doesnt mean the video is sent in so potentially no one could have seen the video until saturday (i personally dont think its true)

Its out in the open now and i trust the club will deal with it correctly (its in the medias eyes now) as long as that happens i will be happy even if he still a wigan player after.

Wigan should put a drinking ban in places during the season.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Maybe we should give him a 2 year deal like Albert Kelly got after not an a overly dissimilar incident
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: I do like how some of the sack JT comments are down to a dislike of the player.

Contacting the club doesnt mean the video is sent in so potentially no one could have seen the video until saturday (i personally dont think its true)

Its out in the open now and i trust the club will deal with it correctly (its in the medias eyes now) as long as that happens i will be happy even if he still a wigan player after.

I think so too on both counts.

We have given second chances to many players previous who have brought disrepute to the club, luckily they weren’t plastered all over social media. We are even employing a player next season on his fourth chance.

One grave mistake in a 14 year career!

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: I do like how some of the sack JT comments are down to a dislike of the player.

I think so too on both counts.

We have given second chances to many players previous who have brought disrepute to the club, luckily they weren’t plastered all over social media. We are even employing a player next season on his fourth chance.

One grave mistake in a 14 year career!
I think thats the fact though Josie,this IS plastered over social media, the harm thats maybe, maybe not been done to the (and I hate the term)"brand" of wigan warriors by this foolish man,hes not a boy either he's a bloke of what 31,he cant even hide behind the youth excuse that,perhaps can be added to Bateman at the time of mossop-gate,and with the release of that second video its hard to see a way back for him.

A drinking ban..not sure how you can enforce that but yes theres clearly a drinking culture at the club and in the sport in general but needs sorting.

Bateman..I would have sacked him,im always lukewarm towards him whenever I talk on here about him, the club acted, wrongly in my opinion (for whats its worth) and as far as I know he hasn't put a foot wrong, indeed I noticed a nice article on facebook the other day about him giving to charity, good on the lad, it doesn't change my mind on things or him.

The club, not the players is the constant,that will (hopefully) always be here,I said that to my nephew before he made his debut, his time as a professional is small but the club will be here long after he's left, and so it goes, but the focus now is coming down on the club this is the second time in a couple of years or so a nasty public incident has occurred involving drink, they have to act and given the nature of the incident and the fact he was harassing a woman makes, for me his position untenable, id expect Lenegan has fielded a few calls from sponsors in the last day or two as well.

The Hardaker situation is an odd one, he was not our problem when his troubles started, he has been punished, at a national level no less so I suppose he could argue he's paid for his crimes' supported the move to sign him, on a rugby level its a no brainer but its going to end badly isn't it?

So for me, personally you don't ever raise a hand to a woman, move menacingly towards her at ally have zero tolerance towards that sort of thing,ive never met Joel,our paths just haven't crossed tbh so I don't know him,im sure he is sorry, so are countless other celebs that have been caught down the years.

jao711

Post by jao711 »

cherry.pie wrote:What Bateman did was worse and now he's a fan favourite and nobody wants him to leave. What Flower did was worse and he's been at the club for several years now.

I find Joel's behaviour in that video to be pretty vile. However, it doesn't seem like he's had disciplinary issues off the field before. Anyone I've spoken to who knows him has been shocked by this. I'm happy for the club to give second chances. They did with Bateman and he now seems to have made changes and is a leader on the field. I don't see how the club can give several people a second chance and not another, especially when there are people still at the club (and being brought into the club) who have done worse.

I think his form on the field affects what some people want to happen to him. I was happy for him to pack his bags when I first found out about this, but to sack him would just suggest that it depends more on ability that what deserves punishment.
. What did Bateman do,in your opinion.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Josie's friend wrote:I think this is the culmination of years of letting players get away with murder (not literely murder ofc)
If Flower was sacked you wouldn't of had his second punch to the back of the head when he returned or his shthouse move at Wire. Manfredi's fight during training, Micky's incident at the night club with that girl, Bateman & Mossop, numerous issues with Sarge and Sam plus this latest with Sam & Joel this list could go on. A domino effect of bad behaviour without even mentioning rumours.
. Sounds like you mentioned a few rumours there.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

ancientnloyal wrote:Observer paid him £10,000 for the piece... Imagine.
. Another lunatic rumour I think.Having worked for the local papers I will tell you that is rubbish.