19-Man Squad: Vs Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: 19-Man Squad: Vs Wakefield

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cherry.pie wrote:To be fair Williams' form doesn't seem as bad if you assume that he's playing under the mistaken belief that Liam Farrell is our number 1 playmaker.

Another woeful performance with clueless attack. I noticed at some point the coaching staff must have tried to shake things up a bit. At times we had Williams chiming into the line like a fullback on the right edge, Lockers as the last man on the left edge, Powell attacking on the left edge. The problem is they've never really done that before and so it's probably no surprise that some of the passing and timing was dodgy.

There seems to be no one taking any control of our attacking game when we're close to the line. We'll try to put on some moves and attack from deep but get anywhere near the 20 and we seem to be clueless.

Bateman and Davies our best players once again. I might as well save that sentence and just copy and paste it after every game.
Nearly seemed interested at one stage!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Williams needs to be dropped for all the stick Powell gets Williams has played worse for several weeks
This. Powell hasn't been great by any means, but he's been more effective than Williams for the last few games. And I find it pretty hard to buy the "it's all SW's fault that Williams is playing poorly"; I can't see that Wane tells Williams to take the wrong option, any more than he told FPN to keep dropping the ball.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ve thought and said for a good few weeks williams isn’t in any sort of form but you then get the “stats” being thrown about as if they’re the be all and end all,
bertina

Post by bertina »

moto748 wrote:
Williams needs to be dropped for all the stick Powell gets Williams has played worse for several weeks
This. Powell hasn't been great by any means, but he's been more effective than Williams for the last few games. And I find it pretty hard to buy the "it's all SW's fault that Williams is playing poorly"; I can't see that Wane tells Williams to take the wrong option, any more than he told FPN to keep dropping the ball.
Yeah, and it's Wanes fault that his passing is all over the place, his kicking game is garbage, he goes missing time and again on the last tackle, and generally creates zilch.
Been crap all season. Wane might be to blame for a lot of things, but don't blame him for someone elses shortcomings.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

bertina wrote:
moto748 wrote:
Yeah, and it's Wanes fault that his passing is all over the place, his kicking game is garbage, he goes missing time and again on the last tackle, and generally creates zilch.
Been crap all season. Wane might be to blame for a lot of things, but don't blame him for someone elses shortcomings.
i agree he hasnt been good...... too
many times he stops the movement and runs across field in the opposite direction from where we are attacking...... my questions are ..... if hes doing this...1 is he told to do this?if not why hasnt SW stopped it......2.if it doesnt work , why hasnt SW changed it? ......3 if hes so bad why hasnt SW dropped him?.......4... If he prefers escare at half instead ov sam then why cant george have a try at fullback?........ like i said in another post...... you have to go forward before you can go sideways.......we have no go forward....... whether that is because we send our threequarters to gain yards/our pack is too small or our tacticts are terrible( who knows)..... one thing is for sure....... our play will look ugly until we go forward imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

bertina wrote:
moto748 wrote:
Deffo, im sure not even Wane would tell him to go missing completely when it comes to last tackle plays leaving farrell to kick the ball what 6-7 times in the last 2 games alone?

Thing is with the Powell vs Williams debate, no-one could ever question Powells effort - even in the last two games he is one of the few that try - Powells issue is he just doesnt really have the talent to be in a top end squad. He's limited as a player but he is playing to his limits and at the moment is the better of our halves as a result, lets get this straight though thats more a diss on williams that it is a compliment to powell. The issue with williams being so dire it makes our attack completely toothless. Powell just isnt a line breaking half back, so with Williams out the mix too its down to Sam who players 3rd or 4th receiver so rarely gets involved in running plays, in fact its escare that causes most issues because he is a threat to the line

Williams is nothing short of abysmal in the last 2-3 games, has provided absolutely nothing! and goes completely missing for long periods of time.

Our pack is full of stunted "wane" like 2nd rowers, there was nothing clever about what wakey did last night they simply ran harder with bigger men and did the basics right

exit sets using props going forward, not wingers going sideways. Offloads and half backs who shared the work out and both looked threatening, simple.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
BriH

Post by BriH »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:The great Jonathon Thurston would be useless behind that pack, they couldn't break through our U16 team! Wane has let the cat out of the bag re his decision and he should now be removed from his duties before our season dies. The players clearly don't want to play for him!
I also think SW should go now. The whole team needs shaken up. SW is stale and that's how the players came across last night: bored stiff, no enthusiasm, dire, etc. etc.
We absolutely need a no-nonsense coach in the John Monie mould.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Even Mark Bitcom looked depressed last night! No zip in anyone’s stride to be fair!
There is definitely something mightily wrong behind the scenes.

We’ve got backroom staff leaving ( http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... ng-manager )

People just seem to be going thru the motions & can’t be rectumed about it ????

(Notice the play on words ???? )
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Just seen the Wane interview from last night.
He said they weren’t very good but better than last week and was encouraged by the performance, and that there wasn’t a lack of effort.
Either hes watching a different game to me or he’s in denial
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Barney841 wrote:Just seen the Wane interview from last night.
He said they weren’t very good but better than last week and was encouraged by the performance, and that there wasn’t a lack of effort.
Either hes watching a different game to me or he’s in denial
Notice a couple of players are on holiday in Italy atm not saying that’s wrong but shows he deffo isn’t panicked about the situation. Williams Bateman and Gildart all posting pictures with beers/wine etc

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure