Whitehaven launch appeal to save the club

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Whitehaven launch appeal to save the club

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Re: Whitehaven launch appeal to save the club

Post by BriH »

Thanks for the info Josie.

I'll get in touch with my brother in law who has been helping out with raffles etc. and see what we can do.

I know Haven have been struggling for a number of years. Perhaps they might amalgamate with Kells RL.
If my memory serves me well, I think The Recre is owned by Kells Miners Welfare. RL was played at the Recre before Whitehaven was created in 1948(?)

Obviously it would be a very sad day for me if my hometown Club packed up. This is where my love for The Greatest Game started nearly 65+ years ago!
Knew a lot of the Whitehaven greats e.g. Dick Huddart
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Surely the RFL should be bailing them out, they've done it for Bradford 14 times
jobo

Post by jobo »

I've been told that a couple of Wigan lads, business owners have offered financial help and W'haven will be okay for the time being.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

medlocke wrote:Surely the RFL should be bailing them out, they've done it for Bradford 14 times

They'll be too busy financing the women's game instead of looking after it.
BriH

Post by BriH »

jobo wrote:I've been told that a couple of Wigan lads, business owners have offered financial help and W'haven will be okay for the time being.
My brother-in-law told me that following last Thursday's announcement they raised £25k within 24 hrs!
When Haven were relegated I think their money from the RL went down by 50%. A hell of a drop when you have very limited income to start with.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Josie's friend wrote:
medlocke wrote:Surely the RFL should be bailing them out, they've done it for Bradford 14 times

Hiya 'Josie's Friend'! Any friend of Josie is a friend of mine!!

The trouble is that Super League "rules OK?" Our beloved Chairman, IL, advocates this approach.
I don't. But............we operate in a very competitive world.
We - RL - need to generate more investment/sponsership revenue.
Watching the NRL it's very evident: even KFC with the video ref!! (Pass the nuggets!!!)
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

BriH wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:

Hiya 'Josie's Friend'! Any friend of Josie is a friend of mine!!

The trouble is that Super League "rules OK?" Our beloved Chairman, IL, advocates this approach.
I don't. But............we operate in a very competitive world.
We - RL - need to generate more investment/sponsership revenue.
Watching the NRL it's very evident: even KFC with the video ref!! (Pass the nuggets!!!)
As a wigan fan I was ashamed of Lenegans take the money and run approach,his way will end our sport once and for all
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: As a wigan fan I was ashamed of Lenegans take the money and run approach,his way will end our sport once and for all
And dividing the money more widely will end it as well as a professional sport.

I am surprised it has taken as long as it has to get to this stage. As soon as the sport as a whole went full time in the 1990's all this was inevitable.

I said when Wigan went full time a few years before the rest and Ian Lucas sold his antique business to go full time himself if you want full time players like that you have to pay them wages that makes being a full time RL player viable. The trouble with this is there never has been enough money in the game to finance all the teams we have where players are paid to play the game even before RU and the NRL inflated wages.

Given the amount of money there is available to the game if you want lower league clubs financed directly by the RFL as in they receive a larger chunk of the TV revenue you have to accept you have seen the last of players as good as Lockers and if you are lucky your top star player will be Willie Isa standard if that.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

Have to agree with Dave there.

And, in fact, a lot of people look to the NRL as an example of how we should carry on, but in fact the NRL have sacrificed ruthlessly to arrive at an elite pro comp. No P & R there! Plus, forced mergers, whether the fans like it or not. And plenty didn't!

Sometimes you need a bit of Stalinism to get things done! :lol: