Should Joel be Sacked?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Should Joel be Sacked?

Post by thegimble »

Flash wrote:
thegimble wrote:
medlocke wrote:I recall at the time Mossop got binned off there was loads of talk on here that he was an arsehole and always causing trouble, Batey reacted in a wrong way, it was also out of the sight of the public eye and iirc, there was plenty on here and elsewhere calling for Batey to go as well, Batey would never of attacked Mossy if it had not been for Mossy being a complete arse, When dealing with problems like these you get rid of the root of problem and not the casualties. the end
One thing I agree club should have dealt with it before it even got onto YouTube.
Whilst I understand your sentiment that assumes they knew the full extent of it before it was made public and there's no suggestion that was the case. From what we know it was reported to the club by the bar owner and both he and the girl in question where satisfied with the club's actions. They both even say as much. Once KR saw the video he realized it needed looking into further, which is now ongoing. I'm not sure how this could be conceived as anything but dealing with the different situations as they arise. Seems like good practice to me.
If as you say is right then the club did nothing wrong. Problem is if they reacted once it hit YouTube then the club is wrong. If everyone was happy is the issue seems the club knew of it but let it go.

I even think the ban is wrong that let's him hide for a month. Joel should play tonight.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
DaveO wrote: I think the comments about it quickly becoming a Terry Newton are ridiculous. People lose their jobs all the time for all sorts of reasons including discipl,inary ones. They do not top themselves and the notion that the club (as some other poster said) need to take into account his personal situation when thinking about any punishment is quite frankly bizarre.

Talk about trying to make a drama out of a crisis!

In fact I think bringing Newton into it is a pretty risible link to make.

Suggesting fans are using this as an excuse to get at an unpopular player isn't much better either.

You are right about one thing, if there wasn't a video of it, it would have been over by now. It certainly would and there would also be no fine nor suspension either which reflects badly on the club and its willingness to brush this under the carpet. But there was a video and that video highlights the bad behaviour. It puts how bad it was into focus. I suspect had there been a video of some other players behaviour we would not be signing him but just because there isn't that doesn't mean it's an excuse to let JT off.

As to RL player snot being role models. Talk to Rads and the club. They say they are.
You say it is ridiculous Dave, but do you have inside knowledge about what is happening in Joel’s private life away from RL?

You never know but something could have triggered the drinking binge!

Because from several people who know Joel well, they have all reiterated that it is totally out of character for him to behave this way.
With due respect, Josie, I think there are 2 issues here which are related but separate:

If Joel has done something to bring the club into disrepute, the appropriate sanction should be applied.

If Joel has personal problems, the club should help him deal with them as far as it can.

One doesn't provide an excuse for the other.

Gaz Hock's case was a good example. He copped the ban, the club supported his rehabilitation. The difference with Joel is that the club should be responsible for both, but this doesn't / shouldn't mean a lesser "punishment".
This is the point I was trying to make.

From my point of view there are four "excuses" being made for JT with the implication that due to these he should be treated lighter than otherwise.

1) RL players aren't role models, so what if got drunk? 2) Related to 1) there is no professional culture (or if you like no Wigan Way), it's all a myth. 3) Some fans want him sacked. 4) and the worst, he might do as Terry Newton did.

I mean just where has 4 come from? There is no reasonably hypothesis to say there is anything wrong with his personal life at all. It's come out of the blue since this happened. It's no good saying people don't know that for sure, the onus is on those suggesting there might be as an excuse for more lenient treatment to back up their position.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Says on Shaun Wane has said on sky sports that he’s known Joel and Sam for a long time, Joel half his life, and there all very close.
THATS THE PROBLEM!!!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

This is all wrong. The key was - should Joel have had a new two year deal based on all the crap he served up in the three years since he returned from union

Now some idiot at the club throws salary cap around like confetti to players well past their prime, this is the reaction when said player steps out of line
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Just a bit off topic but those are massive posts now, maybe trimming would be useful so we don't have just 3 replies a page lol
maximus

Post by maximus »

A lot of varied statements most of which are conjecture have been made on this subject.

The club have stated they will investigate during the 4 week ban to joel including his long term future at the club.

I just think we should wait for the outcome of that investigation before castigating him or the club further
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Not the only one that should be sacked on the first half performance tonight
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Flash wrote: Just for clarity, Dave, could you point to the indicators we all saw in the Terry Newton case please.
I was talking with Terry on the Friday night as he died on the Sunday & he was laughing & joking with me & another friend. There was no way I would have thought he would have took his own life & I was absolutely devastated when I got the phone call on Sunday morning ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Barney841 wrote:Says on Shaun Wane has said on sky sports that he’s known Joel and Sam for a long time, Joel half his life, and there all very close.
THATS THE PROBLEM!!!
Barney I have been saying this for months. Justin Holbrook at Saints the players call him Boss. It's the same at Warrington Price get called Boss by the players

At Wigan the Head Coach is called "Waney". It is the wrong kind of philosophy at the club. You cannot be a Head Coach and be best mates with the players, or with certain players.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

captinjack wrote:
Barney841 wrote:Says on Shaun Wane has said on sky sports that he’s known Joel and Sam for a long time, Joel half his life, and there all very close.
THATS THE PROBLEM!!!
Barney I have been saying this for months. Justin Holbrook at Saints the players call him Boss. It's the same at Warrington Price get called Boss by the players

At Wigan the Head Coach is called "Waney". It is the wrong kind of philosophy at the club. You cannot be a Head Coach and be best mates with the players, or with certain players.
Didn’t the players used to call Maguire Madge?