Wigan v Leeds match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mickh

Re: Wigan v Leeds match

Post by mickh »

A good game, what us supporters have been needing for a while, Woods helped bring a new dimension to our mode of play, a breath of fresh air.

I thought Bateman was MOM by far! He was throwing himself at everything moving in a Leeds shirt.

I wonder what discussions took place in the boardroom after the match? With both chairmen allegedly being at each others throats.

A disturbing aspect for me was the groundstaff, 4 of them were on the pitch with their pitchforks at the corner of the East before Escare had put the ball down to line up that last kick. Who sends these people on? The match had not even finished!

Mick
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Normally you can only beat the side that turns up - last night you had to beat the side that didn't turn up.
That performance should do the team the world of good. No one had a bad match and several were outstanding. Faz's try was quite wonderful and the left side was back to its best. Greenwood's debut didn't look like a debut, he fitted it as if he'd been there all along - very impressive, as was Navarette' overall contribution - that sin-binning was ludicrous - it wasn't even a foul.
The only lesson that we could learn from Leeds is not to let a team grow old together and not have match-ready replacements when you need them.
I suppose my favourite moment was the dawning look of horror from Tony Clubb when he picked up the ball with a clear run to the line and suddenly realised just how far he was going to have to run.
And I thought Bateman was special - apart from his usual tremendous game, he was genuinely delighted when others scored a try (see him leap onto Faz) and he always congratulated those who assisted in scoring tries. I wish he was staying - I think making him captain would be a good move for him and for the club.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good performance, best since Magic?

Woods impressed and Powell seemed more effective as a result - kicking game gone from 99% poor to 99% good. We played as a team, moved the ball really well and kept finding the gaps.
We seemed more up for it and at the same time seemed relaxed.

I suppose hard to judge the opposition, the played a bit like we have been doing over last weeks, lots of individual effort but patchy teamwork.

the pieman

Post by the pieman »

was it just me or is that the worst Leeds side you have seen in a long time

considering they werent that far off full strength, only missing Watkins in backs (1,2,4,5,6&7 all played) and a decent pack out there as well with Cuthberton, Ferres, Parcell, Garbutt, Singleton and not sure about rest to be honest

it felt like there was no-one on the pitch to hate, which has been a long time since i felt that when playing them. at least with Peacock in the side they would never have gone down without a fight like that last night and were completely rudderless without Sinfield to guide them around. i know both of them have been gone for a couple of seasons, but it felt like it has caught up with them last night and they were completely clueless

from a Wigan perspective good solid all round performance, nothing massively spectacular to secure a good win. at times the attack still looks too flat for me and the defence are straight up and in our faces. plus side was Josh Woods as thought he looked confident on the ball and happy to take on the line when he could. The little feint inside to the dummy runner before the long pass out to Marshall for his 2nd try was one of the best pieces of skill i have seen for a good while

moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, that was a lovely touch. I hope Woods builds on that performance.

Is it just me, or is Ryan Hall just massive these days? He looks for all the world like a prop forward out there. I know he's never been exactly skinny, but he's enormous now. I used to think Justin Carney was a podgy so-and-so, but Hall has nothing on him these days!

Anyway, as noted, there was barely a squeak from the WBW!
:lol:
wontoofree

Post by wontoofree »

the pieman wrote:was it just me or is that the worst Leeds side you have seen in a long time

considering they werent that far off full strength, only missing Watkins in backs (1,2,4,5,6&7 all played) and a decent pack out there as well with Cuthberton, Ferres, Parcell, Garbutt, Singleton and not sure about rest to be honest

it felt like there was no-one on the pitch to hate, which has been a long time since i felt that when playing them. at least with Peacock in the side they would never have gone down without a fight like that last night and were completely rudderless without Sinfield to guide them around. i know both of them have been gone for a couple of seasons, but it felt like it has caught up with them last night and they were completely clueless

from a Wigan perspective good solid all round performance, nothing massively spectacular to secure a good win. at times the attack still looks too flat for me and the defence are straight up and in our faces. plus side was Josh Woods as thought he looked confident on the ball and happy to take on the line when he could. The little feint inside to the dummy runner before the long pass out to Marshall for his 2nd try was one of the best pieces of skill i have seen for a good while
I totally agree about the Rhinos. Gutless performance - they're destined for the middle eights and possibly relegation.
Too 'big' to be relegated ? Just ask Bradford.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

another one from last night as well or was it just me

SW announces that he is going to be moving to the Scottish RU and then we take 2 at every opportunity last night :)

i didnt got last week due to work commitments, but from the comments i have read we turned down an easy 2 at Cas which could / would have probably won us the game, but then this week we take the 2 every single time
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

the pieman wrote:another one from last night as well or was it just me

SW announces that he is going to be moving to the Scottish RU and then we take 2 at every opportunity last night :)

i didnt got last week due to work commitments, but from the comments i have read we turned down an easy 2 at Cas which could / would have probably won us the game, but then this week we take the 2 every single time
I know you are joking about the RU thing but I don't think they were going for the two having learned any lessons from last weeks poor game management. I think it was down to plain common sense that in that heat it gave them a rest. Sensible thing to do as well.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wontoofree wrote:
I totally agree about the Rhinos. Gutless performance - they're destined for the middle eights and possibly relegation.
Too 'big' to be relegated ? Just ask Bradford.
Unfortunately I think Widnes are bad enough for them to be Leeds get out of jail card.

Pity really because if Leeds did go down even if only for a season I think IL and the other SL chairmen would value having the thorn in their side that is GH out of the picture for a while.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Having gone to the game last night, I couldn't believe how bad Leeds were. They all looked totally out of shape. Wigan were a good 10 minutes into their warm up before a single Leeds player emerged onto the pitch pre game. I'm hardly a picture of health and fitness myself but then i'm not a professional sportsman. Garbutt was spilling out of his jersey, Cuthbertson looked totally out of shape and they weren't the only ones. Ryan Hall at centre was totally ineffective. The only tries they scored were from our errors. People say we have problems but ours look nothing compared to whats going on over on the dark side of the pennines. Have they finally had enough of Uncle Gary???

Enough of that anyway. Josh Woods was my MOM last night. If there is one thing you cannot fault Shaun Wane for it's is willingness to give the young lads their chance. If they're good enough to have a squad number then they're good enough to play and with Williams out this is Woods chance to step up and put his hand up and with performances like last night hes done just that. Also thought Greenwood looked decent on debut to. Get him fully integrated into the system and he will be a big asset to us. A huge unit and looked like he couldn't wait to get stuck in.