Kevin Sinfield: Leeds Rhinos legend returns as director of rugby

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Kevin Sinfield: Leeds Rhinos legend returns as director of rugby

Post by josie andrews »

Ex-England captain and Leeds Rhinos legend Kevin Sinfield has returned to the Super League club as director of rugby.

The 37-year-old will take charge of his first game on Sunday when struggling Leeds face Castleford, while James Lowes has been named first-team coach.

Leeds won seven Super League titles while Sinfield was their captain.

Sinfield spent 18 years with Leeds before crossing codes to play for rugby union side Yorkshire Carnegie in 2016.

Ex-England captain and Leeds Rhinos legend Kevin Sinfield has returned to the Super League club as director of rugby.

The 37-year-old will take charge of his first game on Sunday when struggling Leeds face Castleford, while James Lowes has been named first-team coach.

Leeds won seven Super League titles while Sinfield was their captain.

Sinfield spent 18 years with Leeds before crossing codes to play for rugby union side Yorkshire Carnegie in 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44736932
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Kevin Sinfield: Leeds Rhinos legend returns as director of rugby

Post by josie andrews »

Didn’t think it would be long, must have been in the pipeline for it to be announced so soon!

Will this mean he gives up his job at the RFL? Or is it another way for Gary Hethrington to be in control if he doesn’t ??
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I believe he keeps his England role. Forget the job title, Sinfield is de facto head coach with Lowes as assistant. With the job titles given, Leeds can avoid sacking Sinfield if it doesn't work out. I bet Saints wish they had thought of this with KC.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Opportunity to come home was too good to resist, says Leeds director of rugby Sinfield

New Leeds director of rugby Kevin Sinfield has admitted the chance to come back to the Rhinos was too good an opportunity to ignore, after being appointed as the club’s first-ever director of rugby in a momentous shake-up of the reigning champions’ senior management.

Sinfield has returned on a permanent deal to head up Leeds’ rugby operation following the sacking of Brian McDermott on Monday; former Rhinos player James Lowes will take charge as first-team coach, with both appointments in time for Sunday’s game with Castleford Tigers.

And despite previously saying he had no interest in a coaching career, Sinfield said the chance to return to Leeds was too good to resist.

“I don’t think you get many opportunities to join the biggest club in the game,” he said. “I’m delighted to be back; the role is everything I want it to be. It’s a dream job.”

Sinfield will continue in his role as the RFL’s rugby director, though he will scale down his responsibilities in that role to one day a week.

But despite the Rhinos’ recent woes – they are now in the bottom four ahead of Sunday’s trip to Cas – Sinfield is confident he and Lowes can inspire a turnaround in fortunes.

“I know the expectations here; I’ve lived and breathed it since I was 13 and I understand what it’s about, this place,” he said. “I’m confident we can turn things around.

“In my time here the support has been incredible. I hope that remains behind the team and they give me everything they gave me for my 19 years as a player. I’m sure the lads will turn things around very quickly.”

Sinfield returns as a permanent member of staff at Leeds, but interestingly, Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington has revealed that Lowes and the other coaching staff will be subject to a review for 2019 which Sinfield himself will be heavily involved with.

“There’s an element of risk involved, of course,” Hetherington said of the appointments. “There will be no changes to the staff for the rest of this year but an announcement will be made in due course as to what the make-up of the group is for 2019.”

http://www.totalrl.com/opportunity-to-c ... -sinfield/
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It’ll end in tears I think Cunningham type mistake in a Leeds jersey
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Sinfield may be defacto head coach but does his title give it away?
Up to now Hetherington made the signings at Leeds.
Does the DoR title mean that Sinfield will be responsible for scouting, signing and retention?
A lot of big name and big game players have left Leeds and not been replaced. Only one person to blame for that state of affairs and that's Hetherington.
Sinfield has a lot on his plate right now starting at Cas who themselves had a thumping in Perpignan last week and looking to put matters right.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Fans at our club calling the "mates" culture that appears endemic at the club must be rolling around in laughter at Leeds.

That club needed a top to bottom clear out and what do they do? Appoint someone who left 2 years ago with fandom at ridiculous levels- another failure ala Cunningham, beckons
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:Fans at our club calling the "mates" culture that appears endemic at the club must be rolling around in laughter at Leeds.

That club needed a top to bottom clear out and what do they do? Appoint someone who left 2 years ago with fandom at ridiculous levels- another failure ala Cunningham, beckons
Hopefully, could do with a good laugh :wink:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:Fans at our club calling the "mates" culture that appears endemic at the club must be rolling around in laughter at Leeds.

Hope you are right but Sinfield does appear to have brain unlike KFC so he might do better. Still think it's too soon for an ex-player to be given such a role.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I wish him well. How much say he'll have, though, remains to be seen.

Do Wigan fans really want to see Leeds go under? I can't imagine so. We want to triumph over good sides, not beat hapless ones.