19-man squad: vs Warrington Wolves19-man squad: vs Warrington WolvesI

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: 19-man squad: vs Warrington Wolves19-man squad: vs Warrington WolvesI

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We are as good as Wire and proved it at Magic.
The Cup loss was in our three weeks of turmoil.

I don't think Kibula looks ready but if there's a game to find out then this might be it. Some of the Wire forwards aren't that big when Sammy is huge. I'd be more worried if he was to face the Wakey pack or the Hull FC forwards. They're both massive and battle hardened.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote:
Probably not but then what is the point of naming him in the 19 if he is has no realistic chance of making the 17?
But you could say that about *anyone* who was named as 19th man, couldn't you?
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

moto748 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Probably not but then what is the point of naming him in the 19 if he is has no realistic chance of making the 17?
But you could say that about *anyone* who was named as 19th man, couldn't you?
Don't think its a matter of he plays or not he is there to gain experience as part of first team squad.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Exactly. And if someone is injured in the warm-up (which seems to be not uncommon), then he is an option.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:Exactly. And if someone is injured in the warm-up (which seems to be not uncommon), then he is an option.
Only if he's the 18th man? Or has that changed to allow for two potential replacements?

My point was picking someone who you have no intention of playing is a waste of time. I think the "experience" gained from that is going to be practically zero.

I'd like to think anyone named in the 19 is there because they have a genuine chance of playing because they are indeed deemed ready.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I am happy to go with that squad. There is only Williams who is a big loss that I can see.
Our cup defeat was so horrible, in every respect, that the team really needs to show they are in the same class as Wire.
Don't you think Sutton is a loss? Personally, I would also include Greenwood as a loss given that he is Joel's replacement in the squad.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash wrote:
DaveO wrote:
moto748 wrote:Exactly. And if someone is injured in the warm-up (which seems to be not uncommon), then he is an option.
Only if he's the 18th man? Or has that changed to allow for two potential replacements?

My point was picking someone who you have no intention of playing is a waste of time. I think the "experience" gained from that is going to be practically zero.

I'd like to think anyone named in the 19 is there because they have a genuine chance of playing because they are indeed deemed ready.
Can't agree with this Dave. Experience is not only about on-field experience but being comfortable in a given environment. Just think back to your own first days at work and how it felt. Anything that eases the transition is good experience and if it helps him put in the sort of performance he is capable of down the track, then I think it is a good use of the match day squad system.

In addition he may well be named in the team or as 18th man. We don't know yet!
I felt great because I was ready for it and the reason I did was because I was 21 and as you do at that age felt bullet proof. That is part of my point I suppose. These young lads are up for it. They don't need treating with kid gloves. Paisley went right into the side tonight without being named 19th man on a regular basis if ever at all as far as I am aware and had a great game. I rest my case.
jobo

Post by jobo »

DaveO wrote:
Flash wrote:
DaveO wrote: Only if he's the 18th man? Or has that changed to allow for two potential replacements?

Can't agree with this Dave. Experience is not only about on-field experience but being comfortable in a given environment. Just think back to your own first days at work and how it felt. Anything that eases the transition is good experience and if it helps him put in the sort of performance he is capable of down the track, then I think it is a good use of the match day squad system.

In addition he may well be named in the team or as 18th man. We don't know yet!
I felt great because I was ready for it and the reason I did was because I was 21 and as you do at that age felt bullet proof. That is part of my point I suppose. These young lads are up for it. They don't need treating with kid gloves. Paisley went right into the side tonight without being named 19th man on a regular basis if ever at all as far as I am aware and had a great game. I rest my case.
It's not a one size fits all scenario though. What works for one player doesn't neccesarily work for the other. Your case is still conjecture, not proven.