All goes wrong with players out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
catman

All goes wrong with players out

Post by catman »

Having watched last night's game I would probably give them 10 out of 10 for effort and defence, but about 2 out of 10 for attack.

I would have thought that in training the team would run through the sets with different players in the key positions so that if there are injuries the pattern of play is not disrupted too much. However from the evidence of last night this is not the case. Our ball movement was slow and erratic and the half backs didn't look for inside runners, I would hope that if we suspect there will be players out next week then we go through the attack beforehand so we don't look like the disorganised rabble like we did with the ball last night.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: All goes wrong with players out

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

catman wrote:Having watched last night's game I would probably give them 10 out of 10 for effort and defence, but about 2 out of 10 for attack.

I would have thought that in training the team would run through the sets with different players in the key positions so that if there are injuries the pattern of play is not disrupted too much. However from the evidence of last night this is not the case. Our ball movement was slow and erratic and the half backs didn't look for inside runners, I would hope that if we suspect there will be players out next week then we go through the attack beforehand so we don't look like the disorganised rabble like we did with the ball last night.
The problem is largely Sam Powell - and i can hear the groans of "scapegoat" but its true he causes us a huge issue.

He plays 7 - which means our attack 'should' go through him and it does and thats the problem, he is just not good enough so our attack inevitably stumbles. The only time it shapes up is when Sam T inevitably gets frustrated and takes the reigns however he is a full back so the attack is not meant to go through him so its inconsistent which is why at the end of the sets we often dont have a kicker in place because Powell isn't dominant or good enough for everyone to be looking to him, so if Tomkins or another hasn't presented themselves as an options it often winds up in a forwards hands.

Woods can't be expected to run the game and williams isn't that kind of player either, neither is escare or any of the other people wane keeps jiggling around to accommodate Powell.

I sincerely hope the first thing the new coach does is drop Powell out the team, he seems to get a complete free ride
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
catman wrote:Having watched last night's game I would probably give them 10 out of 10 for effort and defence, but about 2 out of 10 for attack.

The problem is largely Sam Powell - and i can hear the groans of "scapegoat" but its true he causes us a huge issue.

He plays 7 - which means our attack 'should' go through him and it does and thats the problem, he is just not good enough so our attack inevitably stumbles. The only time it shapes up is when Sam T inevitably gets frustrated and takes the reigns however he is a full back so the attack is not meant to go through him so its inconsistent which is why at the end of the sets we often dont have a kicker in place because Powell isn't dominant or good enough for everyone to be looking to him, so if Tomkins or another hasn't presented themselves as an options it often winds up in a forwards hands.

Woods can't be expected to run the game and williams isn't that kind of player either, neither is escare or any of the other people wane keeps jiggling around to accommodate Powell.

I sincerely hope the first thing the new coach does is drop Powell out the team, he seems to get a complete free ride
Well said. I have been saying that Powell is not a Scrum Half and never will be as long as his arse faces downwards. His ability as Hooker is also suspect. Every half reasoable hooker I have ever seen makes brakes from dummy half, as Robbie did on Thursday night. Powell breaks are as rare as rocking horse s**t.

It can only be hoped that when Wane eventually does leave, hopefully sooner than later, he takes Powell,his favorite, with him.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

The simple answer to the question is swap powell and escare around and make Tompkins play scrum half,this would leave powell to come on at replacement hooker and escare to play in his rightfull position.It is an obvious change and i cannot think why the coaching staff do not make this change.If we do not address this problem very quickly our season and many more season ticket holders will be finished.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

BECAUSE TOMKINS DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY ANYWHERE BUT FULLBACK SO HE CAN GET AWAY WITH HARDLY BEING TACKLED
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

On thursday when clubb took a knock (and should have been taken off) saints targeted him and make some very good metres.

later on in the game Swift took at hit and spent 5-10 minutes unable to run properly. We didnt attack swifts side once during this time.

Is this players fault or bad coaching?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote:BECAUSE TOMKINS DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY ANYWHERE BUT FULLBACK SO HE CAN GET AWAY WITH HARDLY BEING TACKLED

What my shouty friend said. :D

Plus the fact that Tomkins is a much, much better full-back in both attack and defence than Escaré, whose only beneficial attribute is his pace, and, worryingly, that seems to be deserting him now, considering the occasions lately when he's declined to pin his ears back and go for the line.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote:On thursday when clubb took a knock (and should have been taken off) saints targeted him and make some very good metres.

later on in the game Swift took at hit and spent 5-10 minutes unable to run properly. We didnt attack swifts side once during this time.

Is this players fault or bad coaching?
Players

A coach can set up a game plan and train fitness but inevitably you need rugby brains on the field to exploit weaknesses as the game shifts

Top players play what’s in front of them - top coaches understand players can read a game better when they are in it and empower players to make the calls.

I fear at Wigan we tick neither box - our major rugby brains are lockers, who plays 50% of the time and Tomkins who isn’t always in a position to influence play at fb. I do think there is also an is issue with wane being a bit my way or highway and I don’t think that players feel comfortable deviating from the plan even if it’s needed

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wes

Post by Wes »

moto748 wrote:
medlocke wrote:BECAUSE TOMKINS DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY ANYWHERE BUT FULLBACK SO HE CAN GET AWAY WITH HARDLY BEING TACKLED

What my shouty friend said. :D

Plus the fact that Tomkins is a much, much better full-back in both attack and defence than Escaré, whose only beneficial attribute is his pace, and, worryingly, that seems to be deserting him now, considering the occasions lately when he's declined to pin his ears back and go for the line.
Really?!

Personally think Sam is shot at! He’s ok but nowhere near where he used to be. He is no longer a match winner, he’s bread and butter at best.

Genuine question, when was the last time he did a chip over the top? His kick returns p me off now too as let’s be honest, none existent!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree he's way past his best, but that doesn't alter the fact that he's much better than Escaré.