New coaches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yokozuna

Re: New coaches

Post by yokozuna »

Edwards knows nothing about winning though...
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan Watcher wrote:No moaning here just a balanced opinion.
Wigan Watcher wrote: Terrible decision!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

bertina wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: What a Joke for Lam unless he has had a say in it sound likes a massive slap in the face.

Edward may be part of the golden age but we have basically given a head coach job to someone with no coaching experience in rugby league. Someone will no doubt say its what we need and it will be refreshing but for one moment just remember he is Wales defence coach!!!! Not attacking coach.
I remember an interview with the Wasps players when he was head coach in the Daily Telegraph and more than one, including a lad in the third team, praised Edwards and all agreed that he got the last ounce of ability that they possessed out of them
He had very little experience of rugby union when he went to wasps and won everything. Both Matt Dawson and Lawrence dalagglio have frequently said he was the best coach they ever played under, and they were both World Cup winners under Clive Woodward.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

yokozuna wrote:Edwards knows nothing about winning though...
Haha only Smaug has a greater plunder
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mary from Wigan

Re: He’s Coming Home!

Post by Mary from Wigan »

Welcome home Shaun Edwards, wonderful news, dream come true. ????
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:What a Joke for Lam unless he has had a say in it sound likes a massive slap in the face.
Such as slap in the face Lam agreed to it! Why on earth would he agree to this if he was not OK with it? I hope your not suggesting it has come as a complete surprise to Lam he's only here for a year :lol:
Edward may be part of the golden age but we have basically given a head coach job to someone with no coaching experience in rugby league. Someone will no doubt say its what we need and it will be refreshing but for one moment just remember he is Wales defence coach!!!! Not attacking coach.
He had no RU coaching experience before he got the coaching job there either. That worked OK. On the other hand since IL took over we have had two coaches who despite being steeped in decades of RL both lost the plot. Noble won nothing in four years and served up some dour rugby and the further away from Madges coat tails Wane has got, he seems to be on a mission to out-dour Noble. RL experience has not prevented either of them being poor.
bertina

Post by bertina »

I am anything but a happy clapper as regular posters on here will know, but I honestly think this is the best bit of business the club has done for a while.
I am certain Edwards must have been given some kind of assurances re recruitment or he wouldn’t have taken the post.
He will definitely put numbers on the gate, and that can only be positive.
Every credit to Adrian Lam, as he has obviously known all along what the long term plan was. It must suit him in the short term.
I for one am happy to applaud the club for this appointment, instead of criticising them as has been the norm recently.
PS.!! Just watch the season ticket sales take off now.!!!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:What a Joke for Lam unless he has had a say in it sound likes a massive slap in the face.
Such as slap in the face Lam agreed to it! Why on earth would he agree to this if he was not OK with it? I hope your not suggesting it has come as a complete surprise to Lam he's only here for a year :lol:
He had no RU coaching experience before he got the coaching job there either. That worked OK. On the other hand since IL took over we have had two coaches who despite being steeped in decades of RL both lost the plot. Noble won nothing in four years and served up some dour rugby and the further away from Madges coat tails Wane has got, he seems to be on a mission to out-dour Noble. RL experience has not prevented either of them being poor.
Its more with Lam what can we expect if a team come knocking for you on a interim basis are you going to 100% into it?

I have no doubt Edwards has done well at wasp but i find it strange that thats his only head coach job? If he comes and it goes wrong it will just be the jobs for the lads story again?

Im not old enough to have watched edwards play so despite me being aware of his calibre and having seem some important matches and youtube clips im looking at this without the sense of awe or prodical son view some others may be.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
billy's pineapple ring

Post by billy's pineapple ring »

Wales have games in November, February and the World Cup in September, that leaves big gaps inbetween. Obviously he will be doing some preparatory work for Wales, but surely there must be some windows of opportunity for SE to spend some time with Lammy and get to know the staff and players ready for taking over full time.
catman

Post by catman »

Excellent!!! best good news the club has had in a long time, I know Shaun has had no recent RL experience but the days of the bigman coach in RL have gone with SW. Coaching now is all about a successful team and hopefully Shaun can get to work building his, if there is a place for Adrian Lam so much the better.
This is the shot in the arm our club and our sport needs it is essential that everybody gets behind these appointments and we move our club and sport forward into a new successful era.
Even if this move is not 100% successful things just feel better, we have better days ahead, more entertaining days, our club is heading in the right direction, we have more to look forward to than good completion rates and high intensity, we might actually attract some better players and play some attractive football.

Here's to the future, it might just be cherry and white.