New coaches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jasonnlouise

Re: New coaches

Post by jasonnlouise »

Great news, for those saying why Lam for 1 season in my opinion if he doesn't win anything he can claim not enough time if he does then a NRL team will probably snap him up ,most NRL assistants that come over who are successful don't stay in Super League too long and Maguire won the Grand Final in his 1st season. As for Edwards he was the popular choice that we never thought possible I'm sure he'll be a great coach he loves to win.I'm looking forward to the coming years and for once the club should be applauded on delivering what the fans want.
Longstanding

Post by Longstanding »

Well done Ian Lennagan. Hope Lam has the players to make it a good season.
Interesting times ahead.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

CANT see Edwards NOT being involved in the coaching set up in the background IMHO he will be heavily involved with recruiting etc .Maybe Lam is caretaker coach for 2019 and assistant to Edwards in 2020
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fan4Fifty wrote:Absolutely tremendous news. It’s been a long time coming but now worth the wait. It must go that Lam & Edwards will be in constant touch from here on. And he’ll watch and analyse every game from here. Shaun will give Super League a boost, he’s now got a worldwide profile, and is an out and out winner. Can’t see him having any favourites or best mates. He’ll attract players too. And if Hardaker thinks he’ll get away with anything........ Some excitement at last- just need some players now!!
The bit in bold can't be understated. It's all over the national press online already.

Any player isn't looking forward to being coached by both Lam and Edwards is just daft.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:CANT see Edwards NOT being involved in the coaching set up in the background IMHO he will be heavily involved with recruiting etc .Maybe Lam is caretaker coach for 2019 and assistant to Edwards in 2020
No, Rads has said Lam is definitely off after a season.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Maybe Lam has an inkling of a promise from the NRL for 2020?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:As stated earlier I am over the moon with this announcement but I'm a bit disgusted that the club insult our intelligence by announcing this hours after the bad news of Bateman leaving.

Do they think we are idiots and not realise they are conning us? It's not the first time either they have announced bad news closely followed by the good stuff.
Jesus H Christ, of course they announced these two things on the same day. Why wouldn't they? If you've got good news and bad news you give the bad news and then soften the blow with the good news. In life, in business, in sport, in anything.

Did you not want some good news? Does it not make it easier to accept the inevitable loss of Bateman by announcing probably the most exciting coaching appointment in the clubs history?
I think the point is simply few are fooled by this and it's a bit tiresome. If they had said Bateman was off weeks ago we'd have got over it by now so is there really any need to try and stage mange things like this? I mean people have got really fed up about the "will he - won't he" speculation over Bateman so I am not sure it is productive to keep schtum until you can announce this.

Which is, I agree, probably the most exciting coaching appointment in the clubs history. Let that bask in its own glory!

It's sport not politics.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I have 2 issues with this:

1. Where does it leave us next season? Write off already?

2. Edwards has been a long time out of RL. Can he really step right in and hit the ground running?

This would leave us at least 2 years of "rebuilding".

I hope it doesn't come to this, but I am worried.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wintergreen wrote:I have 2 issues with this:

2. Edwards has been a long time out of RL. Can he really step right in and hit the ground running?

1. with a coach that needs to prove himself and a bunch of players that are playing to keep their spot to be coached by one of the best coaches in international sport. I'd expect an extremely competitive season under those circumstances.

2. He went to RU and was successful with no experience except schoolboys. He's got a whole year to get up to speed before stepping in.

I'm extremely excited.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:I have 2 issues with this:

1. with a coach that needs to prove himself and a bunch of players that are playing to keep their spot to be coached by one of the best coaches in international sport. I'd expect an extremely competitive season under those circumstances.

2. He went to RU and was successful with no experience except schoolboys. He's got a whole year to get up to speed before stepping in.

I'm extremely excited.
So am I.