Wigan v Cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan v Cas

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

morley pie eater wrote:First half great performance from Williams. Harder for him in 2nd half due to poor team performance. Williams and Sutton probably had excuse for tiring, first match back. Sam had migraine apparently. Bateman our MoM by a mile, though a great debut by Partington, I thought.

A 4 pointer. Good to be 3 points clear of Cas, but might play them again in semi?
Mr consistency, Tom Davies.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Massive difference in quality between Sam and Morgan. The club has made a big error in allowing the aforementioned to leave.
There is a big difference in quality but Morgan is a young player being expected to fill big boots when Sam is off because a lot of our play relies on Sam doing what he does from FB.

I do not think Sam is a saint (pardon the pun) and he's lucky he did not get (effectively) sacked with his brother but it does my head in people cannot see what a loss he will be.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't think many people dispute he's a loss, Dave, especially if he is, by definition, replaced by somebody less good. But some might question still whether he has offered VFM since his return.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Has Sam offered value for money since his return then clearly the answer is no,but I also blame the club for signing him while injured,surely given how serious it was there should have been safeguards in place to protect the club,it set the tone that really he could never come back from.

His form this season has been near to his best and yes he will be a loss,but if Hardaker can get his head together then frankly Wigan have signed the best FB in the comp,better than Sam certainly in my opinion,he’s a player I’ve always wanted to see in a Wigan shirt,sad thing is the one person who could have helped him on the straight and narrow leaves at seasons end.

I can 7nderstand why Lenegan didn’t offer Sam another marquee contract and I can u derstand why Sam didn’t sign the lower deal,it’s just one of those things I suppose,we have to look into the crystal ball and hope things go well.

Watching the game back Childs has an excellent game the only one you could question is the try off the post but how could Milner stop himself so a perfectly good try.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Escare wasnt bad last night the first 10 minutes he was on our attack was still great. The second half we got put on the defensive and Cas never looked back it was at this point you saw the part of the game sam is better than Escare and that organising the defence. Escare was where he needed to be but he wasnt organising and as none of our halves do that lockers is out injured and Sam was off our defence opened up. The first thing Tomkins did when he came back on was organise the line and get players in the right position.

I didnt agree with with MoM last night as i thought Isa had a brilliant match he made so many important tackles and he played the game (couple of penatlies on purpose to let the line get back/stop a cas break)

All in all in the first half Wigan played more entertaining than they have most of the year and the difference williams added was obvious, second half we barely got a sniff which made it hard to judge the attack, but a couple of the Cas tries where soft.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

What I dont get is how come tommy was at scrum half and Sam at hooker? Is Wane trying to tell us now that Sam at scrum half isn’t working? About time if it is, bit late though, as most people have know this about five or six games into the season, not the last five or six games of the season.
Better late than never though!!!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Well, at least the new coaches know what and where the problems are now, if they didn't before.

Sides are going to target Marshall repeatedly with kicks, especially now that Sarginson doesn't give him any help ( watch the try scored and see him do nothing.) Isa is a serial misser of tackles and we know what the problems with Powell are.
In short, nothing at all changed last night. George looked very good first half and tailed off (match-fitness, I guess) and the forwards were generally good. Greenwood looks to be a really good acquisition. Navarette needs some coaching to stop him giving away penalties but the overall performance was exactly the same as in other weeks. Partington did well and I expect him to report injured any day now.
It's not about to change until the coach changes.,
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Barney841 wrote:What I dont get is how come tommy was at scrum half and Sam at hooker? Is Wane trying to tell us now that Sam at scrum half isn’t working? About time if it is, bit late though, as most people have know this about five or six games into the season, not the last five or six games of the season.
Better late than never though!!!
i was suprised at this and noticed tommy was knackered inthe second half.....imo we shudda played woods and george..... we really missedwoods kicking gsme in the second half...... i still think sarge is much better at left centre but stillhas faults..... by the way flower was mom by a country mile
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote:Has Sam offered value for money since his return then clearly the answer is no,but I also blame the club for signing him while injured,surely given how serious it was there should have been safeguards in place to protect the club,it set the tone that really he could never come back from.

His form this season has been near to his best and yes he will be a loss,but if Hardaker can get his head together then frankly Wigan have signed the best FB in the comp,better than Sam certainly in my opinion,he’s a player I’ve always wanted to see in a Wigan shirt,sad thing is the one person who could have helped him on the straight and narrow leaves at seasons end.

I can 7nderstand why Lenegan didn’t offer Sam another marquee contract and I can u derstand why Sam didn’t sign the lower deal,it’s just one of those things I suppose,we have to look into the crystal ball and hope things go well.

Watching the game back Childs has an excellent game the only one you could question is the try off the post but how could Milner stop himself so a perfectly good try.
The Club did offer him another marquee contract.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Has Sam offered value for money since his return then clearly the answer is no,but I also blame the club for signing him while injured,surely given how serious it was there should have been safeguards in place to protect the club,it set the tone that really he could never come back from.

The Club did offer him another marquee contract.
They didn’t though,they offered him a contract that would have been in the top 3 contracts ever at the club,given I’d assume Sam was on the highest ever contract it amounted to a pay cut,by the way rightly I might add value for money and all that if I was in IL position I wouldn’t have offered marquee money,they can spin it all they want though it amounted to a pay cut and Sam was off.