New coaches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: New coaches

Post by Wandering Warrior »

SJ wrote:I don't Agee with the characterisation of Edwards being "slippery" all I see is a dedicated Rugby man of both codes mentored by Monie and Bennet. Regarding the Driving force of the team during the 80's Edwards himself gave that plaudit to Ellety in a Tv interview together with Ellety &Martin. Bell too was an heroic player and captain. Happy days :D
It was meant in a positive way, he doesn't open his mouth and get caught like Wane does, as in well trained in the media!
But hey, whatever floats your boat!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Caboosegg wrote:
Im not old enough to have watched edwards play so despite me being aware of his calibre and having seem some important matches and youtube clips im looking at this without the sense of awe or prodical son view some others may be.
And the important thing you have also missed out on (as it doesn't stand out in video clips) was the influence he had and the on pitch coaching that he did as a player. He was a very influential half back as a kid and started his time in the game by bossing around true world quality stars, and believe you me they listened to him. He was basically an on field part of the coaching team when he was still a teenager.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Sorry but he simply wasn't. As a teenager he played all over the back line! No need to rewrite history.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

jinkin jimmy wrote:Sorry but he simply wasn't. As a teenager he played all over the back line! No need to rewrite history.
Yep.

Full back and the halves mainly.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Sorry not being pedantic or trying to rewrite history
The point I was trying to make was how influential he was when still in his teens (actually so was Andy Farrell) he had the general with him (Andy Greg) and learnt to coach on the field from an early age so coaching today will not be a problem.
Also the fact a lot of senior/older fans would welcome him back because of this not just as a prodigal son. Our younger fans of today who didn't see him live wouldn't be able to pick this aspect of his game up, from watching videos
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

There's not many with a brain shaped like a rugby ball!! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

What I really enjoy about this story is that it shows us in a positive light on a national stage. Now how do we build upon that. I noticed that the story on the BBC that took it`s place was about a forty odd year old getting banned for being a d**k. Since when do stories from the local free sheet represent us on a national news platform?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It's what the future holds with Edwards as coach that excites me.
As head coach at his last club, Wasps, they reached eight Cup Finals and won the lot.
If we can move from the win/loss ratio of the last number of seasons to a 100% win record under his coaching that would be exceptional.
That's what I think and hope Shaun will being to Wigan RL.