Saints match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wontoofree

Re: Saints match

Post by wontoofree »

fozzieskem wrote:
Barney841 wrote:Also how fast is Gilbart?!? You forget how quick he is
He is fast but trouble is Marshall is faster we get spoiled I think when he goes off on a run????

Good result Sarge really good tonight as was Greenwood but to single anyone out is unfair they all put in a good show

Thought everyone in a Wigan shirt was awesome last night.
wontoofree

Post by wontoofree »

cherry.pie wrote:Definitely the best performance of the season and a great atmosphere in the stands too.

There was a much greater focus on hitting Saints down the middle and that made a massive difference compared to the previous derby.

All our 'middles' were excellent and far better as a group than Saints. Defensively they strangled the life out of them, reduced their opportunities and put pressure on them throughout which meant that Saints were having to chance their arm more to create opportunities and the pressure got to them.
Hamlin provided real entertainment in his first spell. For those who criticised the signing because of his size before he'd even played a game - if anything it seems to give him an advantage. He's got such strength and a low centre of gravity that when he charges low into the tackle it's hard for defenders to go for the legs without being bumped off. He's the sort of player Eamon O'Carroll could have been with a bit more athleticism.
Flower (great first half and his ability to change the point of attack in an instant is brilliant), Clubb and Sutton were as good as you'd expect but I thought Navarrete had his best ever game for the club.

O'Loughlin made a huge difference as expected. We scored one try mainly through very simple passes across the line but it was all made possible by Lockers taking the ball to the line, drawing defenders and creating the overlap that could be exploited with the simplest of passes (although Greenwood made an excellent contribution to that move too).

I think Leuluai is the best hooker we have but it does seem like Wane has found the best solution to our halfback issue. I think the key isn't so much Tommy playing 7 but Williams being allowed to move across the field and attack down our right edge. Both Powell and Leuluai have had their issues on that side but Williams having the freedom to attack that side takes the pressure off our halfback. Tommy now seems to be playing the same way he did at NZ Warriors, where Shaun Johnson would switch sides at times and Tommy could concentrate on drawing defenders and creating space before the pass and let Johnson run the ball more.
Also, with Powell as an 80 minute hooker it means less disruption - switching him mid-game was always making his job that much harder with him playing a different role for the first 20-25 minutes.

Long term I do think we need a new halfback, and the prospect of Powell starting at 9 and Leuluai coming off the bench is something I'd really like to see

I find it interesting that Adrian Lam visited the club for his inveiling as new coach and presumably met with some of the coaching staff, identified that Williams would benefit from being given the freedom to work both sides of the pitch, and since then that's exactly what's been happening. I do hope both current and future coaches had discussions and shared ideas.

I thought Greenwood was our man of the match. Sure, he might not have the agility and intensity of John Bateman but he's the sort of forward we've lacked for some time - a big powerful runner out wide. Farrell and Bateman worked as a back row because they are both fantastic players but there were always limitations. Greenwood is giving us something different, a threat who can draw in players and slip the ball out the back with an offload. Who plays left and right side next year might be intersting. I hope it's not another Sarginson and Gildart situation.

Speaking of Sarge, he was excellent. It's great to see him back and playing with confidence again. He got a lot of stick from fans (myself included) at the start of the year. My biggest concern was that there was not much to gain by keeping him in the side when he was making errors and carrying an injury and that he needed to be taken out of the firing line. Now he's injury free and getting some good opportunities he's proving to be a useful member of the squad.

Hopefully we don't do what has been very common over the last few years, put in a brilliant performance in a derby and completely fall apart the following week. Wakefield will be a tough test and while finishing 2nd is the only real goal at present - it would be nice to maintain this confidence and excitement over the next few weeks by going on on unbeaten run.
Excellent post. Well said.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I enjoyed it immensely. I think most of the points I would make have already been covered, but a few things really struck me:

- I recall us beginning to play more traditional rugby to great effect the year Flower lost us the grand final. Energy, reaction times, yardage gained and aggression in defence were all fantastic. Certainly better than anything Saints could throw at us. I don’t mind where we finish as I would back us to win the last 2 games of the year;

- I think we are getting the best of all worlds coaching wise with the departing ones (aside from possibly Tomkins who again failed to make it onto the pitch opposite Barba) including Wane will move heaven and earth to leave on a good note, while everyone who is staying knows that 2 legends are watching closely. Perfect motivation;

- it was great having a running full back, though Sam adds other things when he plays well. Escare has his flaws but he always excites;

- I am not just excited by last night but also about next year. Add Manfredi/Burgess and Hardaker and possibly Lam to that team and we can expect a thrill a minute. A fit and firing Manfredi would give us power on the right to balance the footwork on the left. Bateman will of course be a big loss but Faz and greenwood will do a great job; and

- Isa is Panapa!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I

- Isa is Panapa!
Now you have gone too far! :lol:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Was it Cats and inparticular Moa that suggested Stains were soft down the middle?
Greg Bird TBW.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
BriH

Post by BriH »

Fabulous result!! Keep it up!!
SJ

Post by SJ »

Agree B H
Mike1993

Post by Mike1993 »

I’ve watched the game back twice now since Friday and I’m still buzzing about the result, not one player had a bad game but Greenwood, Sarge and Gildart really stood out for me. I really hope we can kick on from this now and get to the Grand Final.

On a side note I’ve been to a family christening today and all of my relatives who where there are Saints supporters.......there was a lot of gloating going on.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

I was in a field somewhere in Warwickshire listening to WishFM, it sounded absolutely brilliant. Waiting now for it to appear on Wigan TV so I can watch it. :D
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Mike1993 wrote:I’ve watched the game back twice now since Friday and I’m still buzzing about the result, not one player had a bad game but Greenwood, Sarge and Gildart really stood out for me. I really hope we can kick on from this now and get to the Grand Final.

On a side note I’ve been to a family christening today and all of my relatives who where there are Saints supporters.......there was a lot of gloating going on.
I hope you smiled a lot at your relatives :lol: :D :lol: :D
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?