Vuelta a Espana

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
SJ

Vuelta a Espana

Post by SJ »

Congratulations Simon Yates. ????????????????
Sutty

Re: Vuelta a Espana

Post by Sutty »

I First got into cycling in 1986, watching Greg Lemond win his first Tour de France. In 1987 when Stephen Roche won the Tour, such was the lack of a British presence at that level at that time, I remember trying to twist his Irish nationality into somehow tenuously counting him as British.

Yet now, 30 years later British riders have won 9 out of the last 20 Grand Tours, they've won the last 5 consecutive Grand Tours and this year 3 different British riders have won all 3 Grand Tours.

What a great time to be a cycling fan ????????‍♂️????

SJ

Post by SJ »

Couldn't agree more
I only got into cycling 2008/9. Whilst in Italy my late Son in Law let me read a book by Lance Armstrong over coming cancer. I hadn't appreciated the tactical technicalities of the Sport and it's unbelievable physicality. I came to be a fan and went to a stage of the Tour of Britain when it came to Devon and my interest coincided the the burgeoning popularity of the spot. Now I never miss a grand tour and go to them especially Italy. I remember getting a bollicking off you for posting a stage win on this forum som time ago now. Happy Days :D
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Lance's book "It's not about the bike" is still one of my favourite books, if I ignore his doping and the way he's treated people and ruined some lives. As a standalone read, it's one of the most inspiring books I've ever read.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Nice to see a Lancastrian win! If you overlook the fitness and quality in this years Vuelta he is still a deserved winner! Well done to him.

Now to hope that the World Champs are brutal and That the Spring Classics come ASAP!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
SJ

Post by SJ »

ancientnloyal wrote:Nice to see a Lancastrian win! If you overlook the fitness and quality in this years Vuelta he is still a deserved winner! Well done to him.

Now to hope that the World Champs are brutal and That the Spring Classics come ASAP!

Yes it's down to the black pudding they eat up there. By the way I seem to remember your fro N. Ierland. When I was a ST holder I sat in the West Stand and a little lower from where I sat a family used to wave the Ulster flag was it u by any chance?Enjoy the cycling and rugby ????Cheers
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I am a Wiganer.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I'd like to see them get up Parbold hill without stopping.

Or even up to top lock from Lower Ince.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Parbold is fine until you get to the church, then you just dream of having an ice cream at the top whilst suffering. Bang half way on Strava must do better meself (although I always go up to dalton and back beforehand so already tired)

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Parbold isn't too bad and only has a short steep section. Shaley is probably the toughest climb on that side of Wigan. Bank Brow is steeper, but is too short to be a proper test. Anglezarke and some of the hills over that way are a good test too. People rave on about Sheephouse, but it's not all that steep, just quite long. I don't think it's any worse than going up Ashurst, from Newburgh.

We were doing a hill reps session on Crow lane last week and finished off with Shaley, that was a nice sting in the tail, lol.