Wigan Rugby Books

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bonbon

Wigan Rugby Books

Post by bonbon »

Hi,

I am slowly collecting some books on Wigan RLFC, but there is one that i cant seem to find? It was the history between Wigan and Stains derbys. I recall seeing it at Smiths Book shop in Wigan, but it must be at least 10 years ago. Am i imagining it?

Any help appreciated.

Jeff
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
mrs_carney

Re: Wigan Rugby Books

Post by mrs_carney »

No my brother has a book called "an illustrated history of saints v wigan derby matches2 so your not imagining it!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yes, the dust cover is reversed on one side it is headed by Wigan, on the other by Saints. Smiths of Wigan supported a lot of books back in the day. There are not actually as many Wigan Rugby League books as one would expect.

Graham Lowe has two autobiographies that are worth a read. Glory in the Centre Spot (Eric Ashton) can still be found and is a decent read.

Suprised more of the great 80/90 team have not put pen to paper. Shaun Edwards, Ellery (yes I know he never spoke publicly etc), Andy Goodway, the characters like Dermott, Byrne etc From back in the day, Bill Ashurst would be a good autobiog.

I would guess Terry O'Connor will put pen to paper when he retires.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Another one I can recommend is "Central Park Memories" published in 1999 by the Wigan Observer, if it's still available.
Some great pics, and lots of good information.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

The Central Park Memories is good, i have that one i got it from Ebay the inside cover is signed by loads of players :)

If you go and search on Amazon.co.uk and seach for wigan rugby theres about 10 books that come up including the Illustrated History of Wigan Rugby League Football Club
mentioned previously i think some seem hard to get hold of now
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Paul Wilson's 'The Best Years of Our Lives' is brilliant. It charts our rise from 2nd Division to Super League, thus perfectly encapsulating a very special time for me as I was growing up. It is one of my favourite books as I once tried to tell Mr Wilson himself when quite drunk in the toilets of the Bowling Green on Wigan Lane
willie c

Post by willie c »

bonbon posted:
Hi,

I am slowly collecting some books on Wigan RLFC, but there is one that i cant seem to find? It was the history between Wigan and Stains derbys. I recall seeing it at Smiths Book shop in Wigan, but it must be at least 10 years ago. Am i imagining it?

Any help appreciated.

Jeff
there was a book on ebay a couple of month back all about derby games between wigan and stains look on there from time to time
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

Cheers everyone,

I`ll keep my eye open.

Jeff
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872

To do list
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Blood, Mud and Glory and Best Years Of Our Lives are both excellent Wigan RLFC books. Do not forget some autbiogs contains section on wigan like Brett Kenny 'The Natural'

books crop up on Ebay. I have a spare copy of Glory In the Centre spot which I may be listing shortly.

bonbon

Post by bonbon »

Just ordered the wigan v stains derby history from e-bay :)
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872

To do list
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020