Toronto v London

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Toronto v London

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: London aren't ready for SL off the field yet. They have a 3000 capacity "community" staduim where most just stand round the edge of the pitch. They would not have met that criteria for franchising.

The main problem is the old one we've not addressed yet. How are they going to recruit and strengthen for next year now all the players have been signed? They'll have a higher salary cap but no one to sign with it. How are they not just going to go down?
Two issues that show why franchising was the way to go and was kicked out far too soon and why automatic P&R is not right for RL.

Apart from the fact it meant P&R was not automatic the complaints were it didn't work because Bradford went bust despite being given a clean bill of health. That was an issue with those doing the auditing not the idea itself. London needs at least two seasons of guaranteed SL status to make a go of it IMO but they should also be on notice to sort out a proper ground.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:
Mike wrote: London aren't ready for SL off the field yet. They have a 3000 capacity "community" staduim where most just stand round the edge of the pitch. They would not have met that criteria for franchising.

The main problem is the old one we've not addressed yet. How are they going to recruit and strengthen for next year now all the players have been signed? They'll have a higher salary cap but no one to sign with it. How are they not just going to go down?
Two issues that show why franchising was the way to go and was kicked out far too soon and why automatic P&R is not right for RL.

Apart from the fact it meant P&R was not automatic the complaints were it didn't work because Bradford went bust despite being given a clean bill of health. That was an issue with those doing the auditing not the idea itself. London needs at least two seasons of guaranteed SL status to make a go of it IMO but they should also be on notice to sort out a proper ground.
Spot on Dave! I preferred the 3 year franchise system ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Both could end up in strife and immediate relegation as one up one down just creates Yo-Yo clubs.
Neither Toronto not London have enough (if any) Super League quality players and it's now too late to buy in even if the clubs wanted to.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

When Torronto gain promotion and the Billionaire is still pumping in his cash they'll be right for players of that I have no doubts,I noticed on Sky they where hinting at some very big names to go to them suspect that was true, they'll just have to wait 12 months.

I don't like the franchise system,im sorry I just don't another 2 years off it where in place of the dross Widnes served up this year? it creates a nice cosy system where the interest become even more vested than they already are for me sport has to have jeopardy it becomes fairly pointless if its a closed shop.

Its the British way I'm afraid.as for grounds there are one or two in super league that need sorting before fingers start to be pointed at London and the Wolfpack,my nephew has been to the lamport stadium and said its a wonderful atmosphere but clearly isn't up to SL standard, you could argue certainly at Cas the atmosphere can forgive the facilities that date from eons ago?

Who knows, just a few thoughts, looking forward to a London trip at least next season.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:

I dont think franchising helps when this is on sky regarding the stadium and min requirements:

Broncos will receive £1m extra in central funding as a result of promotion and will be given special dispensation by the Rugby Football League (RFL) to remain at the Ealing Trailfinders Sports Ground, which has a current ground capacity of just 3,020.

The team were already planning to erect a new stand in the winter to add a further 1,040 seats - which would will enable the ground to meet the RFL minimum requirement of 2,000 for Super League.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO wrote:

Who knows by next year the SL might have changed its mind next year especially with the link fixtures nobody might be relegated and 14 teams in SL
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jon Wilkin is going to Toronto next year.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

josie andrews wrote:Jon Wilkin is going to Toronto next year.
Wow, how many players lose 2 semi finals and then miss out on promotion all in the same season!! :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Jon Wilkin is going to Toronto next year.
Wow, how many players lose 2 semi finals and then miss out on promotion all in the same season!! :lol:
Fantastic :lol: :lol:
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

jaws1 wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Who knows by next year the SL might have changed its mind next year especially with the link fixtures nobody might be relegated and 14 teams in SL
That was my thoughts too jaws1

Still think when all the dust has settled and we are into the International fixtures that SL will announce something along those lines. I don't like loop fixtures no matter how clubs dress them up and franchising might give you nice facilities but no determination to place a winning team on the pitch. Witnessed the mediocrity of those at the bottom when franchising was the "in thing" and still we have clubs (Cas & Wakey) who have still, after all these years, not met the framing the future criteria.

Game is at a cusp. My sons amateur has not been able to raise a team for almost the entire season, some opposition have had the same problem. This is in the heartlands and with crowds dropping along with viewing figures then so does sponsorship and merchandising. It is a downward spiral and MUST be stopped or we won't have a game.

Teams like Toronto that have not had one single penny that clubs like Leigh and Featherstone have squandered and now have their begging bowls out squealing it's all super leagues fault will not speed this process up. The game needs a major boost in profile and with it exposure. Toronto would give that. To a smaller degree so will London but some could argue they have already missed their opportunity last time they were in SL

Back to the game. Real dogfight and some tenacious defence from London. I am simply not impressed with Toronto's pack. Patterson is/was their best back row and he's retired now. The "one out" fell right into London's hands and the lack of creativity or even even spirit to chance their hand was depressing for a side so determined, we were told, to go up. Quick ptb and solid running from dummy half from Dixon and Pelisier with Walker strong at the back. Tactically I think Rowley was exposed and expect him to be moved on as hinted in the SKY analysis

Brian McDermott for Toronto is what I hear - let's see if that happens :wink:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: