Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont on 'grim' picture for club

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont on 'grim' picture for club

Post by josie andrews »

Leigh Centurions’ owner Derek Beaumont has claimed the RFL are ‘nervous’ about him withdrawing financial support for the club.

With no coach in place and only a handful of contracted players ahead of the release of next season’s Championship fixtures, the club’s professional status is still at risk.

https://www.leighobserver.co.uk/sport/l ... -1-9434672
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southernpie

Re: Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont on 'grim' picture for club

Post by southernpie »

Am I being thick here, but it appears to me he is saying the club will go down the pan because the club (he) cannot afford to honour the contracts of 2 players, but he is blaming the players as they will not reconsider their deals.

So he offered all this money to entice the players to Leigh, but when the going gets tough he wants them to take a wage cut and it is all their fault if the club folds because they want what they signed a contract for
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

southernpie wrote:Am I being thick here, but it appears to me he is saying the club will go down the pan because the club (he) cannot afford to honour the contracts of 2 players, but he is blaming the players as they will not reconsider their deals.

So he offered all this money to entice the players to Leigh, but when the going gets tough he wants them to take a wage cut and it is all their fault if the club folds because they want what they signed a contract for
I'm not disagreeing with you, SP, but I guess his pov is that "I've paid all this money to make Leigh a SL club, the players (especially the expensive ones), let us down. Now 2 of them are insisting on being paid 40% of the cap/available funds, and I'm expected to cough up."

I don't know enough about the details to know who I agree with, but can see both sides?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

another example as to why salary cap does not work.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jaws1 wrote:another example as to why salary cap does not work.
How is this a reflection on the cap. If he ca not afford the cap at its low rate how would a non cap make the situation easier for him.

This proves for me promotion and relegation relegation needs looking at to stop teams with minimum income frim going under inside a seaon or 2.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

thegimble wrote:
How is this a reflection on the cap. If he ca not afford the cap at its low rate how would a non cap make the situation easier for him.

This proves for me promotion and relegation relegation needs looking at to stop teams with minimum income frim going under inside a seaon or 2.
From my understanding its not to do with not being able to afford, the two players will take up 40% of the cap space for the championship meaning he doesnt have enough left to build a squad to compete (including coaching staff)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

thegimble wrote:

He is not saying he cannot afford the cap its because 2 players are contracted and there salary takes up 40% of their cap space so the rest will be on peanuts. He built a team to gain promotion and went bust with it when promotion did not come.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Ahh Thank you, that makes more sense
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jaws1 wrote:
thegimble wrote:

He is not saying he cannot afford the cap its because 2 players are contracted and there salary takes up 40% of their cap space so the rest will be on peanuts. He built a team to gain promotion and went bust with it when promotion did not come.
Can he not put them on marquee?

Think they have same cap as SL clubs. Or has that changed again since last season.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

They take up 40% of central funding, not cap space. Beaumont has decided to stop funding the club and is blaming others for the this and his past decisions. He was the one that gambled all or nothing IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐