A DISGRACE TO THE GREATEST GAME

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

A DISGRACE TO THE GREATEST GAME

Post by josie andrews »

For many years I have had a great deal of respect for Greg Alexander, Brad Fittler and Mal Meninga, the Australian team, State of Origin and the NRL, but in recent times they have started to really try my patience for various reasons.

Finally I feel, as a journalist and a rugby league supporter, I have to call out these men of very doubtful character about recent comments they have made, which have undoubtedly damaged the integrity of the greatest sport on the planet, due to their childish behaviour, bleating like a bunch of spoilt 5 year olds.

Firstly we had Meninga, who was a great player and is a great coach, labeling 49 time capped Garry Schofield as “The mouth from the north” and stating that Australia were “Not running scared” of playing Great Britain, when the Lions tour down under next year!

Soon after that, former Australian internationals Fittler and Alexander were doubting the integrity of the Golden Boot award, for the best international player of the year, because Englishman Tommy Makinson dared to win it ahead of former Italian, now Australian International James Tedesco!

How arrogant can these people get? Fittler actually went on record saying: “I can’t believe the best player in the world, is a person I’ve never seen play”, while Alexander said the decision “Shatters the integrity of the award.”

Fittler went on further to say: “I watched the highlights of the England game yesterday and just saw him score a couple of tries.

All these statements by these so called legends does, is show how insular and up their own backside, Australian rugby league actually is!

For many years crowds in England, where the game was born, have seen Tommy Makinson, playing many years for arguably the most dominant club in the summer era here, scoring spectacular tries and winning trophies, he is one of a breed of Englishmen who could go over to Australia and take the NRL by storm, it is very much within his capabilities, as I’m sure many of his opposition wingers would gladly testify.

But this bleating doesn’t just come from Makinson winning this award this year, in 2012 when Kevin Sinfield, one of the best of all time to grace Super League, won it, Australians were crying out ‘Kevin Who?’

It seems that, whenever an English player wins this award, the Australians have to behave like a spoilt brat, frankly doubting the integrity of the award has to be seen as a very serious concern, because what it suggests is that they will never accept the integrity of it, unless an Australian wins it every year!

Yes it has to be said that the NRL is the strongest rugby league competition in the world, there can be no doubting that and yes State of Origin started to regain some of its credibility this year, with a tough fought series and, for only the second time in over a decade, a new South Wales win, rather than the usual hype, before Queensland steamrollered their way to victory yet again.

But these are not the only rugby league competitions in the world, and the sooner the Australians learn that, the better it will be for all concerned, there can be no argument that Australia have set the standard for others to aim for over many years, but throwing their dummy out their pram like this, does nobody any good whatsoever and frankly just embarrasses them and the sport they have dominated for so long.

Yes James Tedesco had a great year in 2018, but this time last year he was only considered good enough for a 3rd tier international side, even brushing that aside, he was on the losing side for Australia against a New Zealand side that Makinson has made a big contribution to beating on three occasions this year already.

Harking back now to what Meninga said about Australia not running scared, let me make it blatantly obvious why Schofield can be forgiven for thinking that. A Great Britain tour down under is in the planning for 2019, but Australia are saying no to a 3 match Ashes series against the best of what we have to offer. They complain enough about teams having to come over here for a World Club Series or an international game, yet here are Great Britain, willing to head down under, yet they still don’t want to play us, REALLY?

I’m not saying Australia are running scared, but I believe anybody could be forgiven for thinking that they are, given the evidence so far, for refusing to play a Great Britain team that would, without any doubt, have Tommy Makinson in its ranks.

Maybe the ‘Mouth from the South’ and his other former internationals need to take a long hard look at themselves and realise the damage to the game, that they are absolutely responsible for?

http://www.seriousaboutrl.com/a-disgrac ... 18414/[url][/url]
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The booze hound

Re: A DISGRACE TO THE GREATEST GAME

Post by The booze hound »

Very well said.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

England have beaten NZ rather well over 2 games and Australia lost to them rather easily apart from the last 6-7 minutes when the game was over.

Australia have lost 4 genuine legends of the game quickly and sorry for some on here their aura of invincibility is finished. Some on here put the NRL on a pedestal. It is better than SL but the gap has shrinked over the last 2-3 years. Mainly due to the quality of the NRL dropping. Though I do except the Roosters to beat us.

But Schofield is right they are running scared. Look at the results over the last 3-4 games. Lost the WC final by 6 and in 1 4 nations in OZ Hall was robbed deliberately. Internationally England are now the best side on the planet. They refused to have a 4 nations before the WC and again refused one. They knew after the WC they can not replace the players they lost. with the same quality. JT, Smith and Slater can not be replaced.

Australians for me are the Southern hemisphere Americans will not play others in sports so they can call themselves the best in the world.

I do agree that the wrong player got the golden boot but that was more due to how they pick a player. After all Australia have not been that great internationally after the WC so it left an English player to win it after England have won the last 3 test they have played. And Makinson has been very good.

If England continue to improve then we will see less internationals against Australia until they know they can win them easily. Bloody whinging cowards that lot.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

thegimble wrote:England have beaten NZ rather well over 2 games and Australia lost to them rather easily apart from the last 6-7 minutes when the game was over.

Australia have lost 4 genuine legends of the game quickly and sorry for some on here their aura of invincibility is finished. Some on here put the NRL on a pedestal. It is better than SL but the gap has shrinked over the last 2-3 years. Mainly due to the quality of the NRL dropping. Though I do except the Roosters to beat us.

But Schofield is right they are running scared. Look at the results over the last 3-4 games. Lost the WC final by 6 and in 1 4 nations in OZ Hall was robbed deliberately. Internationally England are now the best side on the planet. They refused to have a 4 nations before the WC and again refused one. They knew after the WC they can not replace the players they lost. with the same quality. JT, Smith and Slater can not be replaced.

Australians for me are the Southern hemisphere Americans will not play others in sports so they can call themselves the best in the world.

I do agree that the wrong player got the golden boot but that was more due to how they pick a player. After all Australia have not been that great internationally after the WC so it left an English player to win it after England have won the last 3 test they have played. And Makinson has been very good.

If England continue to improve then we will see less internationals against Australia until they know they can win them easily. Bloody whinging cowards that lot.
Great post gimble ????????????????????????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Aussies are known to be arrogant and i suppose as they have beaten us consistently for the last 50 years or so they are entitled to feel superior.As for Makinson winning the Golden Boot it is a disgrace,simply because he played well in 3 international games he is supposedly the best.Absolute nonsense.Schoey is totally wrong that they are running scared,and it is wishful thinking.Our pack can match theirs undoubtedly but in the backs it is no contest they are miles ahead of us even though they have lost players.I think we have a long time to wait before we can beat them and they know it and dont want to play us because they have nothing to prove.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

old hooker wrote:Aussies are known to be arrogant and i suppose as they have beaten us consistently for the last 50 years or so they are entitled to feel superior.As for Makinson winning the Golden Boot it is a disgrace,simply because he played well in 3 international games he is supposedly the best.Absolute nonsense.Schoey is totally wrong that they are running scared,and it is wishful thinking.Our pack can match theirs undoubtedly but in the backs it is no contest they are miles ahead of us even though they have lost players.I think we have a long time to wait before we can beat them and they know it and dont want to play us because they have nothing to prove.
Yet NZ beat them easily last month. Game was over before they scored the last 2 tries. England last 3 games beat NZ. Though i think NZ will win today. Over the series England have been better.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Never been a fan of the NRL since it was proclaimed that any players who sign for SL clubs would not be chosen for origin or international duties, It really does take the pee when they waffle on about SL being second tier yet they constantly try and poach our best talent, are they genuinely interested in them or are they just taking them so our clubs stay at this mythical second tier
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote:Never been a fan of the NRL since it was proclaimed that any players who sign for SL clubs would not be chosen for origin or international duties, It really does take the pee when they waffle on about SL being second tier yet they constantly try and poach our best talent, are they genuinely interested in them or are they just taking them so our clubs stay at this mythical second tier

Not at all cutting off your nose to spite your face, then?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

old hooker wrote:Aussies are known to be arrogant and i suppose as they have beaten us consistently for the last 50 years or so they are entitled to feel superior.As for Makinson winning the Golden Boot it is a disgrace,simply because he played well in 3 international games he is supposedly the best.Absolute nonsense.Schoey is totally wrong that they are running scared,and it is wishful thinking.Our pack can match theirs undoubtedly but in the backs it is no contest they are miles ahead of us even though they have lost players.I think we have a long time to wait before we can beat them and they know it and dont want to play us because they have nothing to prove.
It's an award for best international player is the season. So what else should it be judged on other than performances in internationals this season?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote:
medlocke wrote:Never been a fan of the NRL since it was proclaimed that any players who sign for SL clubs would not be chosen for origin or international duties, It really does take the pee when they waffle on about SL being second tier yet they constantly try and poach our best talent, are they genuinely interested in them or are they just taking them so our clubs stay at this mythical second tier

Not at all cutting off your nose to spite your face, then?
Why would it be?