Sammut signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Sammut signs

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:.,..anyway and we have signed write offs before and they've been top drawer!
Go on then name the write offs who have turned it top drawer. I can't think of one who fits that bill. Back under Mo Lindsay we signed a few unfashionable players who improved at Wigan like Billy McGinty but write offs they weren't and neither were they lower league backs aged 31.

This another signing like Mathers or Pryce.

I think in the modern era Wigan have taken a punt on a few write offs who the club should have realized were past their sell by dates.
Shane Millard, He came in and was slagged off by many yet showed Mickey Higham how to play
ian.birchall

Expectation management?????????????

Post by ian.birchall »

I think myself I would have preferred Lam to not build up my hopes of a top signing before the club announced this, sign a man who has consistently failed in Superleague since he came over in 2010 if you must but please don't build up the excitement before hand.
Leeds Stains and Wire making big signings, we will have 3 new players next season from 2nd and 3rd divisions instead.
Someone at the club needs definite training on raising the fans hope.
Still I like the shirt.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote:
pedro wrote:
medlocke wrote:How is it ludicrous when it has happened so many times

Homesick - Greg Eastwood, Anthony Tupou, Ben Barba, FPN, James Segeyaro, Tyrone Roberts, I'm sure there's others

As for NRL players that have come over here and been shite the list is a large one, No need to mention any names, We've had many at Wigan.

P.S I never mentioned anything about not signing any overseas players, So get your facts right for once unlike in your multi paragraphed bitter Brexit rants

:thum:
dont think they are homesick just get a better deal in a better comp
Does it really matter what the real crack was, they all left early claiming to be homesick and when that happens mid season you are left in the shit, Sammut may not be Wigan Standard according to many but at least he won't do one mid season
course it matters, makes your comment null and void...Sammuts gonna stay as he wont get offered another gig
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan didn't lose a game in 2018 with Williams at 6. Leuluai at 7 and Powell at 9.
I think it was 3 out of 5 losses when Williams was out injured.

I would have preferred to look for a younger half with a bit of experience, someone like Jacob Miller.

I don't like signing average over 30's players, but can see why they've done it. Sammut is experienced, kicks goals and has a good running game. Can he be a controlling halfback? I'm not really sure.

As many of you on here will know Harry Smith is a real top prospect but is only 18 years of age so it's probably too early for him. Josh Woods doesn't have the pace and Jake Shorrocks has had two or three years badly affected by injuries, so basically we needed cover. Time will tell on Sammut, he wouldn't have been my choice, I just hope he proves me and a lot on here wrong, he'll get my support and I hope he doesn't become this coming seasons scapegoat.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I cant see him playing unless its off the bench when the hookers are swapped
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Good point pedro. I thought we may use him from the bench or in rotation with Sam and Tommy like we did with Morgan. I suppose, compared with this time last week, we have a stronger squad for signing Sammut and I hope he does well.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Just thought I’d throw this in the mix:

Sammutt’s playing stats for 2018 at London

Appearances 23
Substitution. 5
Tries 20
Goals 114
Drop Goals 4
Man of the Match 9

Not bad stats!
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Only recently it was widely touted that Shaun Edwards would be consulted on signings and direction, even in the year of Lam's reign.

Could anyone who is firmly convinced that Sammut is not good enough, please explain how they see Giz's role in this? It seems to me that there are 3 possibilities:

1. He wasn't consulted or his mobile battery was dead,
2. He agreed with signing Sammut,
3. He disagreed, but Rads, Lam, Leneghan overruled him.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote:Only recently it was widely touted that Shaun Edwards would be consulted on signings and direction, even in the year of Lam's reign.

Could anyone who is firmly convinced that Sammut is not good enough, please explain how they see Giz's role in this? It seems to me that there are 3 possibilities:

1. He wasn't consulted or his mobile battery was dead,
2. He agreed with signing Sammut,
3. He disagreed, but Rads, Lam, Leneghan overruled him.
Or

4. The Edwards signing was a big ploy to sell season tickets and right at the last minute it will be announced that he isn't coming and Lam will be staying
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

It’s funny how some people have reacted to this signing.
Not so long back it was said that we are missing Matty Smith, so is he better than Sammut.
I don’t think so, he’s got what Matty had and a little bit more he can take on the line for a start.
It’s not the end of the world ok he’s not a big name but I think he Sammut will turn out to be a good signing, don’t know why he hasn’t been coughed up by a top team before.