Almost half of players in survey believe rugby league has issue with recreational drugs

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Almost half of players in survey believe rugby league has issue with recreational drugs

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby league has an ongoing issue with recreational drugs according to almost half of the players questioned on the subject in the 2018 Rugby League World players poll – while over three-quarters have no confidence in the sport’s hierarchy to drive the game forward.

Almost 250 players responded to the latest annual players poll conducted by the magazine – which is available to read online now and is in stores from Friday – and 46% of those declared that they believe there is a problem with recreational drug use in the sport as part of the results. 32% responded no, while 22% of players said they didn’t know.

Several high-profile players have recently served, or are still serving, drugs bans concerning the use of recreational drugs – including former Men of Steel Zak Hardaker and Rangi Chase.

Meanwhile, a staggering 77% of players surveyed revealed that they do not have faith in the RFL/Super League to take the game forward in the coming years.

Only 10% said that they were satisfied with the way the game was being run by the RFL and Super League.

Elsewhere, 93% of players said the sport does not do enough to market its stars – and two-thirds (66%) of players insisted that the season remains too long in its current format, and that players are simply playing too many games.

The full results and 2018 players poll is available to read in the new issue of Rugby League World.

http://www.totalrl.com/almost-half-of-p ... nal-drugs/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Almost half of players in survey believe rugby league has issue with recreational drugs

Post by moto748 »

Meanwhile, debate continues about the woodland practices of bears...
old hooker

Re: Almost half of players in survey believe rugby league has issue...

Post by old hooker »

If only half the players surveyed think there is a problem then the other half live in cloud cuckoo land.Drugs are a very serious issue in society in general so it is obvious Rugby League is no exeption.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Just go to cafe Stella in Leigh any given weekend, take your pic of Leigh players
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Surveys like this need to be taken with a pinch of salt. When you ask people questions on surveys that ask them to estimate something negative they almost invariably exaggerate the problem by A LOT. They basically guess based on their perceptions and do not use evidence.

Unless RL players know half their teammates and mates from other clubs are doing it I'd love to know on what basis they conclude this is so prevalent.

Other things like RL not marketing its stars I can agree with because the evidence is there before us all, they simply do not do it! I think these other findings are more relevant (though what the effect of the players saying these things will be I have no idea) but then these things don't make sensational headlines while the drugs result does.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote:Surveys like this need to be taken with a pinch of salt. When you ask people questions on surveys that ask them to estimate something negative they almost invariably exaggerate the problem by A LOT. They basically guess based on their perceptions and do not use evidence.

Unless RL players know half their teammates and mates from other clubs are doing it I'd love to know on what basis they conclude this is so prevalent.
I dunno. If I was, say, a brick-layer, and you asked me about the drug-taking habits of brick-layers, and I based my answer on the 20 or 30 that I knew personally, would my estimation of the wider group really be so unreasonable?
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I dunno. If I was, say, a brick-layer, and you asked me about the drug-taking habits of brick-layers, and I based my answer on the 20 or 30 that I knew personally, would my estimation of the wider group really be so unreasonable?
I reckon you'd be right mate! They love the old columbian marching powder in the building trade! :lol: