Joe Blogs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Blogs

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Greenwood writes his first blog of 2019.

Second row set to provide updates from inside the Wigan camp in a new bi-weekly feature called ‘Joe Blogs’.

Greenwood talks Super League triumph, Adrian Lam and pre-season.

Writing in his first blog of the year, Joe Greenwood talks about a successful 2018, life under new Head Coach Adrian Lam and how pre-season is going after he returned a week early than first planned.

Blog 1

Hello everyone!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

As it’s my first blog of the year, I’m going to start by looking back at 2018. It was a roller-coaster year! After moving to Wigan from Australia half way through the season and then going on to win the Super League was crazy. I have to keep pinching myself, as I’ve only just come to terms that I’m a Grand Final Winner. Making my international debut for England against New Zealand was mad too as it was what I dreamed of as a kid. It was great to make my family proud as well as the Wigan Club by representing my country.

I returned to pre-season a week early than planned so I could keep on top with things. I wanted to get back into the grind and it felt great being back with the lads.

It’s fantastic working under Lammy (Adrian Lam). He’s brought in new calls, new plays and new ways of how he wants us to play. As well as his attacking skills from his playing days, he’s been focusing on our defence and brought in his own knowledge that he has gained from his coaching career in Australia.

The new lads Zak (Hardaker), Joe (Bullock), Jarrod (Sammut) have settled in really well, as well as the young ones too including Liam (Byrne) and Harry (Smith). We’re all digging in as one team and there’s no egos. Everyone is buying in to what Lammy and all the coaching staff are saying so hopefully we continue putting the hard work in, as it’s starting to ramp up a bit with it being just over three weeks until the season starts.

Last week, we went up to the Lake District for a two-day pre-season training camp. It was good to spend some time with everyone. We all loved it and were laughing and joking throughout, as well as putting the hard work in at the same time.

One thing that wasn’t so pleasant was the lake! On the first day, we built rafts in an attempt to make it back to the mainland from an island on a lake in Windermere. Everyone was swimming as we all tried to keep the rafts dry, but it didn’t work! Eventually though my team won as we got back first. It was a good team bonding session and we got to know each other a lot more, including the coaching staff too. On day two we hiked up a mountain and it was a long trek, but we all ripped in and got through it as a team.

As we get closer to the new season, I think 2019 is about improving on last year and adding little bits to our defence and attack. We’ve had a decent pre-season and it’s about putting that extra 1% in every game. We have the World Club Challenge coming up next month and its massive for the Club. We want to win those big games and personally I want to test myself against the best players in the world.

For the season, it’s about building momentum and getting wins under our belts. Confidence will rise and when the dry, Summer season comes around we can start to play more fluent rugby. We have to take each step at a time though and not look too far ahead.

That’s it for my first blog of 2019. See you all soon!

Joe

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... Zr9gRks.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan