widdup

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO
Posts: 13961
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: widdup

Post by DaveO » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:42 pm

morley pie eater wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:38 pm
Dave O: We have a club making a loss, a chairman who says we are cost cutting as a result and so has us signing championship players and not chasing world class players. So the losses are affecting the first team.
Similar to what you said last year, Dave. It affected the first team so badly that we won the GF :D
Sooner or later if Wigan start spending in the same bracket as Castleford as opposed to Leeds, Wire, Saints you know as well as I do we will start to have as much success success as Cas and Wire will start to win things.

That Grand Final winning team has lost Sutton, Bateman and Sam T. IL probably hopes he got Sam T's replacement on the cheap in Hardaker but picking up the odd former star player who blotted his copybook is not what Wigan would do in the past and it's not a long term strategy is it?

morley pie eater
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: widdup

Post by morley pie eater » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:56 pm

DaveO wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:42 pm
morley pie eater wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:38 pm
Dave O: We have a club making a loss, a chairman who says we are cost cutting as a result and so has us signing championship players and not chasing world class players. So the losses are affecting the first team.
Similar to what you said last year, Dave. It affected the first team so badly that we won the GF :D
Sooner or later if Wigan start spending in the same bracket as Castleford as opposed to Leeds, Wire, Saints you know as well as I do we will start to have as much success success as Cas and Wire will start to win things.

That Grand Final winning team has lost Sutton, Bateman and Sam T. IL probably hopes he got Sam T's replacement on the cheap in Hardaker but picking up the odd former star player who blotted his copybook is not what Wigan would do in the past and it's not a long term strategy is it?
I'm not sure that there's a direct correlation between spending and success, if that's what you're implying.

It seems to me that all the evidence points to the fact that Leneghan wants Wigan to be successful. He has put a lot of money into the club and we have won more in his era than possibly any other time apart from the 80s/90s (a truly exceptional period which can never be repeated).

Being fair about this, Dave, it also seems to me that you have been a "prophet of doom" throughout these years. Maybe it's your Hindley Green upbringing - I managed to get away after just 10 years there, which perhaps saved me from the same fate? Whatever the reason, sometimes us supporters need to support the team and the management and hope for the best. I'm more than willing to speak out when I think they get it wrong (as with Joel Tomkins), but carping about lack of spending by IL flies in the face of reality.

Accept that you said the same last year and were wrong. Maybe . . . just maybe . . . you could wrong again?

Wes
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: widdup

Post by Wes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Cas are asking for salary cap dispensation to sign a half why Gales our for the season sooooo they have spent the cap as do we year on year, we win stuff they’ve won the shield once in the last god knows how many years.

We don’t do too bad under IL. Just saying.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[url]http://www.treetechsolutions.co.uk[/url]

User avatar
lucky 13
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Re: widdup

Post by lucky 13 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Wes wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm
Cas are asking for salary cap dispensation to sign a half why Gales our for the season sooooo they have spent the cap as do we year on year, we win stuff they’ve won the shield once in the last god knows how many years.

We don’t do too bad under IL. Just saying.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good point re Cas the other point re cap is if you look at wages for NRL and Union the more they rise and the more we stay static the less bang for buck you see. So when we see the squad weaken, is that actually in real terms is all we can expect.
We have been top spenders over the period of Marquee and one of the few with both spots taken. I would love to see another true marquee at Wigan. We would have gone into this season with Bateman if he had agreed terms taking up our second spot?
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/antnmellogan/Wigan010-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wes
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: widdup

Post by Wes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:48 pm

We are some way behind the NRL and Union in terms of salary cap however that’s not IL’s fault, he’s spent the cap or close too it year on year. He’s in a lose lose with our fans, if he signs a big name ie FPN fans are frothing yet when it doesn’t work out they jump down his throat, he upgrades our home grown fans moan as we haven’t signed an NRL superstar. We watch Wire sign Hill, Saints sign Walmsley and wander why we can’t find hidden talent yet when we sign Bullock it’s a cheap signing yada yada yada

I’d say we are a fickle bunch who don’t appreciate how good we currently have it in regards to the trophies won under IL and let’s face it before him we where dire with a dire record, you had to go way back. In fact the 10 years before IL we won 1 CC and 1 GF in the 10-11 years IL has owned us we’ve won 2 CC’s 4 GF’s and a WCC.

Kind of not bad eh?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[url]http://www.treetechsolutions.co.uk[/url]

morley pie eater
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: widdup

Post by morley pie eater » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Wes wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:48 pm
We are some way behind the NRL and Union in terms of salary cap however that’s not IL’s fault, he’s spent the cap or close too it year on year. He’s in a lose lose with our fans, if he signs a big name ie FPN fans are frothing yet when it doesn’t work out they jump down his throat, he upgrades our home grown fans moan as we haven’t signed an NRL superstar. We watch Wire sign Hill, Saints sign Walmsley and wander why we can’t find hidden talent yet when we sign Bullock it’s a cheap signing yada yada yada

I’d say we are a fickle bunch who don’t appreciate how good we currently have it in regards to the trophies won under IL and let’s face it before him we where dire with a dire record, you had to go way back. In fact the 10 years before IL we won 1 CC and 1 GF in the 10-11 years IL has owned us we’ve won 2 CC’s 4 GF’s and a WCC.

Kind of not bad eh?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly! And well said.

Wandering Warrior
Posts: 3204
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: widdup

Post by Wandering Warrior » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Wes
Spot on!
We had some great success under IL. Nobody with half a brain can argue against.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield

User avatar
Fujiman
Posts: 2810
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: widdup

Post by Fujiman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 pm
Wes
Spot on!
We had some great success under IL. Nobody with half a brain can argue against.
Wanna a bet 😀
This quote is no longer available because the person is deemed not fit enough to provide it!

josie andrews
Posts: 23869
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: widdup

Post by josie andrews » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 am

Fujiman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am
Wandering Warrior wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 pm
Wes
Spot on!
We had some great success under IL. Nobody with half a brain can argue against.
Wanna a bet 😀
😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

josie andrews
Posts: 23869
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: widdup

Post by josie andrews » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Gareth Widdop’s long list of suitors revealed but Warrington Wolves close to deal

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... by-2430358
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

Post Reply