Harkaker shines in Salford win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Harkaker shines in Salford win

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam makes it two victories out of two as coach, as Wigan overcame Salford at the AJ Bell Stadium.

28-18 score-line separated them from their Super League Rivals

Hardaker scores on debut to get final try and secure victory

Zak Hardaker shone as Adrian Lam’s side made it two wins out of two in pre-season as Wigan overcame fellow Super League side Salford Red Devils 28-18.

After going into half time with the lead; Wigan’s opponents made it more difficult after the break getting two tries of their own to narrow the Warrior’s lead. But Wigan responded, with tries from Escare and Hardaker adding to the three scored in the first half, to secure victory.

Salford got off to a faster start to the match. Within the first five minutes new signing, Ken Sio, got on the end of a kick to go over in the corner, giving his side the breakthrough.

The Red Devils could’ve made it two, but the Wigan defence stayed strong, holding up Junior Sa’u as he pushed through.

The Warriors then started growing into the game and mounting attacks of their own.

Eventually Wigan’s resulted in their first try of the game, Farrell going over for the four, with Hardaker adding the additional two from the kick. Sam Powell got the Warriors second, forcing himself through the Salford defence to go over the line right next to the posts.

The lead was extended even further just before the break, with an excellent Williams pass allowing Davies to go over in the corner, giving Wigan a 16-4 half time lead.

Salford began the second half as they started the first, with a try, as Lussick went over six minutes after the break, with Chamberlain converting the kick.

That fast start gave the Red Devils confidence, as Jake Bibby went over in the corner for Salford’s third try of the day, to put them within two points of the Warriors.

Wigan then started to grow back into the game once again. After some nice handwork and passing, Morgan Escare was left with a clear run through to score in the 62nd minute.

Zak Hardaker made it a debut to remember as he went over his first try for the club, giving Wigan a 28-14 lead with 11 minutes left on the clock. Salford were still not lying down, as they narrowed the Wigan lead once more with another try.

With only four minutes left on the clock, there was not enough time for the Red Devils to add any more, with Wigan winning the game with a healthy ten-point lead, 28-18, to give Lam his second win at the club.

Wigan Starting Line Up: Zak Hardaker, Dom Manfredi, Dan Sarginson, Oliver Gildart, Thomas Davies, George Williams, Jarrod Sammut, Ben Flower, Sam Powell, Tony Clubb, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Gabe Hamlin

Wigan Interchanges: Joe Greenwood, Romaine Navarette, Oliver Partington, Joe Bullock, Morgan Escare, Jake Shorrocks, Taulima Tautai, Liam Byrne, Chris Hankinson, Liam Marshall, Josh Ganson, Craig Mullen.

Salford Starting Line Up: Niall Evalds, Ken Sio, Junior Sa’u, Ed Chamberlain, Jake Bibby, Rob Lui, Jackson Hastings, Lee Mossop, Joey Lussick, Daniel Murray, Josh Jones, Jansin Turgent, Greg Burke

Salford Interchanges: George Griffin, Tyrone McCarthy, Ben Nakubuwai, Mark Flanagan, Derrell Olpherts, Connor Davies-Aspey, Calvin Wellington

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... TeTeDPD.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Harkaker shines in Salford win

Post by josie andrews »

Great game by all players 😊🏉🍒⚪️
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

How did Sammut perform?
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wormburner wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:30 pm How did Sammut perform?
Didnt look out of place but didnt add much.

To be fair it may have just been wigan tv but wigan seemed a bit flat.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

New Wigan Warriors star Zak Hardaker pleased to tick another box

Zak Hardaker admitted he breathed a sigh of relief as he sat back and reflected on his first game in 16 months

He marked his return from a doping ban - and his first appearance for Wigan - with a personal haul of 12-points in their 28-18 pre-season friendly win at Salford.

"I really enjoyed it, it's been a long, up and down road and I've been training really hard," said the ex-Castleford full-back.

"To get the jersey on and get 80 minutes under my belt... I was a bit nervous beforehand, so I'm really happy now.

"After the game, I sat down in the dressing room and it was just relief, a box ticked - and now I'm just looking forward to training.

"I was quite giddy on the way - I wasn't dancing or anything! - but I was really excited inside. Now I have two weeks to go back on the game and look for areas to improve and work on.

"It's still a bit rusty, because we've got a new coach, a new structure, but that's why you have pre-season friendlies - we'll review the games and look at the things we didn't do too well, and we can right the wrongs."

Hardaker was told beforehand he would play the full game, and he moved to centre in the last quarter, from where he scored a try.

He also kicked four goals from five attempts.

"I've been working on the kicking nearly every day, I enjoy pressure and it's a big responsibility," said Hardaker, who has been working with the Warriors' kicking consultant Charlie Hodgson.

"I was a bit anxious about my match-fitness - I'm up there with the leaders in training - but it's hard to replicate a game, and that side was fine, I was quite comfortable."

This was Hardaker's first game since he was suspended on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final for taking cocaine. Little surprise he had a personal fan club of family and friends at the AJ Bell Stadium to see his return.

A few of my mates went to Kallum Watkins' testimonial game, and fair enough," he added. "But I had nine or 10 here to watch me and they were just as pleased as I was. They've supported me through the tough times and now I can hopefully take them on the good times now."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9547500
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam happy with progress after first outing

Adrian Lam felt Wigan's 28-18 win at Salford was a measured success as they dusted off the cobwebs ahead of the new season. He was pleased to see Zak Hardaker mark his first appearance in a Warriors shirt with a strong, 80-minute display and a personal haul of 12 points from a try and four goals.

And there were other performances which caught his eye, including prop Joe Bullock, who was one of nine players who backed-up from Friday's win at London Skolars.

New coach Lam, who is implementing a different style, says their performance was a work in progress as they build towards their Super League opener on January 31.

"We weren't quite there, but I knew it would take some time," said Lam. "It's a different style, and they did it in parts, but there's some improvement to make. "The result wasn't the priority, I wanted to have a look at some fringe players and make sure some new faces got the cobwebs out."

Hardaker was one of those new faces, and he played 80 minutes, including the last quarter at centre from where he scored a try. "Zak's a big body, he's 6ft 4in and 105kg, and so he's just a machine so he could fill that centre role pretty good and I just wanted to see him play there and that gave Morgan (Escare) a chance at full-back," said Lam.

"I was happy with everyone, there wasn't anyone I was disappointed with." Lam admitted there were still "two or three" spots available for his squad for the Super League opener at St Helens.

Sean O'Loughlin was rested and Thomas Leuluai was unavailable as he served a suspension from the Grand Final.

"It's a long season and we have a squad of 34, so I wanted to see how they fitted into the puzzle - there are two or three positions that are up for grabs and the staff will discuss that," added Lam, who reported no injury concerns.

Salford coach Ian Watson said: "It was exactly what we wanted, with the lift of intensity, playing a champion team like Wigan

A Wigan side will travel to Barrow on Saturday for their third and final pre-season game.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9547449
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Zak Hardaker on: Making his return, playing for Wigan, his past and his future

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/za ... is-future/
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Where did Morgan play when he came on?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 pm
Wormburner wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:30 pm How did Sammut perform?
Didnt look out of place but didnt add much.
Pretty good hit out for both squads without being spectacular.
Thought Sammut's distribution was OK and kicking was pretty good (Williams also kicked well so perhaps the shared load will help both?).
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It would be nice to think that we'd seen the last of the Warriors' bad habit of only gaining 5m or so from a penalty kick. There was none of that today, at least. And Hardaker looked OK as a goal-kicker, missing two kicks only very narrowly from the touchline.