Corner shops

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
moto748

Corner shops

Post by moto748 »

I have another question! One thing I haven't seen in Wigan, that has always been there in other parts of the country I've lived in, is what I'd call 'Indian' shops. That is, shops run by people of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi descent and catering for the same, stocking a wide range of all the different lentils for dal. curry spices, fresh coriander, tins of ghee, etc. Does anyone know if there is such a place in Wigan or the nearby area?
doc

Re: Corner shops

Post by doc »

Wigan has never really had a big asian community so I doubt there has ever been a need for one. Even in the local curry houses and on the market most of the asian staff I have talked to live out of town in Bolton / Manchester / Oldham / Rochdale. Goes back to the Indian community settling in mill towns to work in the mills rather than mining towns to work down the pits. Other than Tesco I would resort to Bolton or Manchester. Will ask one of my asian colleagues about the bigger shops round Manchester other than those on the curry mile.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Thanks for that. I did strike me there aren't that many South Asians in the area. As you say, Bolton might be a better bet.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You'll need your passport if you come to Bowton! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
doc

Post by doc »

Hi Moto

my colleague recommends this place in Manchester.

Worldwide Foods

401 Great Western St,

Manchester

M14 4AH

His family does all their food shopping there.

It's just off the curry mile in Rusholme.