19-man squad to face Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

19-man squad to face Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names unchanged 19-man squad to face Leeds Rhinos

The Champions return to the DW Stadium for the first time since their 2018 semi-final

Manfredi and Burgess miss out to knee injuries

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam has named his 19-man squad to face Leeds Rhinos at the DW Stadium on Friday evening (K.O. 7:45pm)

The reigning BETFRED Super League Champions return home on Friday for the first time since their semi-final victory over Castleford Tigers last October.

As Adrian Lam prepares his side for the first home fixture of 2019, he hopes that they will make the DW Stadium a tough place to visit this season. “We want to make this place a fortress where we dominate home games so I’m looking forward to a good performance from our side and making sure Dave (Furner) is still without a win after Friday.”

In injury news, Dom Manfredi misses out following a clean out of the fluid on his knee, however Lam explained that he’s well on the road to recovery. “He had a clean out [on his knee] last week so he will be between two and five weeks. Hopefully he will be back in time for the Roosters game, although it doesn’t look likely at the moment.”

Joe Burgess is still on the comeback trail following a knee injury sustained in April 2018. Jarrod Sammut serves the second of his two match suspension against Leeds.

Last week’s injury concerns Tony Clubb and Gabe Hamlin are both confirmed fit to play this Friday.

Wigan’s 19-man squad to face Leeds Rhinos:

Joe Bullock, Tony Clubb, Tom Davies, Morgan Escaré, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Oliver Gildart, Joe Greenwood, Gabe Hamlin, Zak Hardaker, Willie Isa, Tommy Leuluai, Liam Marshall, Romain Navarrete, Sean O’Loughlin, Sam Powell, Dan Sarginson, Taulima Tautai, George Williams.

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... eds-r2.jpg

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... CCFLqAc.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Re: 19-man squad to face Leeds

Post by First Try Tickle »

Think he will go with the same team as last week. I would like to see Escare on the bench, but I can't see him dropping anyone after one game even though a couple were poor.

Need to get the Leeds and WCC games over before he can start to look at other options. Looking forward to seeing Hankinson at centre and Sammut, but I think he'll stick with experience for the next two.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Rhinos make two changes while Warriors unchanged for Friday’s clash

Leeds Rhinos have made two changes to their 19-man squad to face Wigan Warriors on Friday night.

Both Harry Newman, who featured for Featherstone Rovers last week, and Nathaniel Peteru come into the squad for Jamie Jones-Buchanan, who missed the Rhinos’ opener through a chest infection, and Cameron Smith, who wasn’t involved in the matchday 17 against Warrington either.

Meanwhile, Wigan Warriors have named an unchanged side from their opening day defeat to St Helens.

Both Joe Burgess and Dom Manfredi are still missing with knee injuries while Gabe Hamlin and Tony Clubb have both been confirmed as fit to play after injury concerns.

Leeds travel to Wigan without a win since 2013 at the DW Stadium.

Warriors squad: Joe Bullock, Tony Clubb, Tom Davies, Morgan Escaré, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Oliver Gildart, Joe Greenwood, Gabe Hamlin, Zak Hardaker, Willie Isa, Tommy Leuluai, Liam Marshall, Romain Navarrete, Sean O’Loughlin, Sam Powell, Dan Sarginson, Taulima Tautai, George Williams.

Rhinos squad: Jack Walker, Tom Briscoe, Kallum Watkins, Konrad Hurrell, Ash Handley, Tui Lolohea, Richie Myler, Adam Cuthbertson, Matt Parcell, Brad Singleton, Trent Merrin, Stevie Ward, Brad Dwyer, Liam Sutcliffe, Brett Ferres, Nathaniel Peteru, Mikolaj Oledzki, James Donaldson, Harry Newman

http://www.totalrl.com/rhinos-make-two- ... ays-clash/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'll be happy with signs of progress and two points to set us up for the WCC. A loss may affect the crowd for next week. I'd expect the same 17, although he may try Tautai for Romain, and then put Sammut in next week if our kicking game isn't much improved. Glad to see it's looking like they won't rush Dom back. He's far too important to take any risks with at this stage of the season.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We all have bad days at the office, the 17 from last week need another opportunity to prove they are worthy of a place in the side.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I can’t see why there should be any changes the team needs to gel. Leeds are in the same boat don’t forget so if we beat the Rhinos we’re doing ok. Far too early for being unhappy currently... can be unhappy at a loss or performance but as a whole we should be ok over the season
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The squad virtually picks itself because if you look at the first team squad there isn't much depth to it in terms of alternate options even if we have depth on the wings. There is no hot prospect like a young Sam Tomkins pushing for a place.

I think I am right in saying we have 22 (and that includes Bulluck) experienced players then it is into new names. Lam does not have much room to maneuver as in trying different players.

The injuries to Manfredi and Burgess are covered by Marshall and Davis and it's good to be able to do that but it's like for like. Escare or Hardaker would seem to be the choice (don't know when Escare is going to get a game) and there is a potential to change a prop or two but I don't think you will see the sides picked this season vary very much at all injuries allowing. We are looking to Sammut to add the spark and of course he is not available tonight.