Wigan v Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Wigan v Leeds

Post by ancientnloyal »

Now up to zero points. Can see a big improvement on attack but thought our defence tonight in the middle especially was quite easy to get through.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
medlocke

Re: Wigan v Leeds

Post by medlocke »

Somebody needs to learn how to kick drop goals
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm Now up to zero points. Can see a big improvement on attack but thought our defence tonight in the middle especially was quite easy to get through.
Zero points but up to 7th in the league on point difference! (Even if only temporary having played a game more than three of those below us). Leeds now prop the table up. :lol:

I thought it was a bit of a strange game. I thought we ended the first half well in control but then despite several sets of six on their line in the 2nd half our attack was as bad as anything seen in recent seasons culminating in Williams letting the ball go backward for them to pick up. The clever kicks had vanished from the repertoire and nothing else was on offer and there was a danger we'd let them back in it. If some of those short balls they kept trying had stuck we'd have a had a game on. The last Wigan try was very good with Hardaker making the break and Faz scoring. Thought Faz had a good game.

We didn't see it in attack much but we have got pace to burn. The chase back when they made the interception break was great. I know it was a forward but he'd got a huge head start.

As to Leeds, well how many unforced errors did they make? I know it was windy but to put was it two (or was it three) kicks out on the full was poor. If the wind takes hold of your first one, don't do a second.

Crowd flashed up as 11,200 and something. Gone are the days of Leeds filling the North stand it seems (though granted the weather warning for a bit of wind won't have helped).
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Leeds were woeful,I’ve no doubt once it warms up their imports will improve but that’s a way off.

Wigan did enough though the defence is a worry,Navarette had another poor game while Bullock had another sound game,he is all being well going to be a real find.

The crowd was poor we got there a little early and frankly you’d be hard pressed to know there was a game on really,this usd to be a top drawer tie if it can’t do better then the sport is in trouble,but let’s blame the breeze for now it was a little parky last night.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Decent performance. Think both teams are capable of a lot more though.
Still think we lack that little bit of leadership when lockers is off the field, hopefully Sammut back next week that will change
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I enjoyed that, and really like how we are shaping up. Hardaker and Bullock are great signings. It is great to have pace from the back and a classy strong running big lad. My only slight frustrations so far have been Sammutt’s needless ban, and Manfredi’s knee injury.
It will be interesting to see what we will do if Sarg (what a great catch for his try) can’t make it next week - over to Hankinson I guess, with Gildart possibly swapping wings. Should be a thrilling year, once we really get into the swing of things.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We are defo better in attack and our defence always seems to improve as the season moves on.... greenwood is adding so much more too our attack and will only get better......george was quality but i still think his passing game can improve.....hopefully sammut will improve out right sided attack..... nxt week ide go zak at centre and morgan at fullback...... on leeds i thought hurrell was patchy but will be a threat eventually.... merrin was very ordinary and lolaea( not sure the spelling)was a bad signing...... he was great as a winger/fullback in aus, but hes done nothing as a half..... hes also lost tonnes ov pace...... i thought mylers interview was funny,stating wigan scored off kicks......maybe he needs to work on his own kicks coz that was one ov the worst halfs display ive seen for a long time.......i think tautai will be in for romain soon as he seems to be struggling...... watching on sky i was so annoyed yet agan with wiggy...... anybody would think that we got all our own way...... yes we had two knock ons but leeds early pass was marginally forward......best team won and anybody would think that it was wigan who had spent big bucks on the nrl again.......he stated that bennys try was lucky....wasnt there first? And wasnt that from a kick? Retire eddie ur wigan bias is getting repetitive and boring
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 am Retire eddie ur wigan bias is getting repetitive and boring
I wish they would all retire! They are all repetitive & boring. Terry O’Connor on Thursday needed to get a room with Jamie Shaul after that game cos he never stopped talking about him all thru the game!
They all just love the sound of their own voice! 😩

Wish they would concentrate on the game & not their own dilly dalliances 😠
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Couldnt agree more josie and yes he did rub up shaul far too much
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

DaveO wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm Now up to zero points. Can see a big improvement on attack but thought our defence tonight in the middle especially was quite easy to get through.
Zero points but up to 7th in the league on point difference! (Even if only temporary having played a game more than three of those below us). Leeds now prop the table up. :lol:

I thought it was a bit of a strange game. I thought we ended the first half well in control but then despite several sets of six on their line in the 2nd half our attack was as bad as anything seen in recent seasons culminating in Williams letting the ball go backward for them to pick up. The clever kicks had vanished from the repertoire and nothing else was on offer and there was a danger we'd let them back in it. If some of those short balls they kept trying had stuck we'd have a had a game on. The last Wigan try was very good with Hardaker making the break and Faz scoring. Thought Faz had a good game.

We didn't see it in attack much but we have got pace to burn. The chase back when they made the interception break was great. I know it was a forward but he'd got a huge head start.

As to Leeds, well how many unforced errors did they make? I know it was windy but to put was it two (or was it three) kicks out on the full was poor. If the wind takes hold of your first one, don't do a second.

Crowd flashed up as 11,200 and something. Gone are the days of Leeds filling the North stand it seems (though granted the weather warning for a bit of wind won't have helped).
It wasn't a forward it was their International stand off Tuimoala Lolohea.