Wigan v Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Wigan v Leeds

Post by Southern Softy »

Well, it wasn't perfect but it was much better, although we still don't seem to have much of a clue when we are battering the oppo's line. Leeds were awful but in a way it didn't matter - you can only beat what's in front of you.
I was delighted to see us scoring from kicks - it's always been our best and most likely way of scoring but tactical kicking on the sixth is still dreadful, as is our kicking to touch from penalties.
What I hope the coaching staff will take notice of was how effective our left side was when Gildart moved to left centre and linked with Marshall (who had another good game) Williams, Greenwood and Lockers. They also need to get Morgan on the bench if they're not going to play him. Isa was a real weak link (not his fault, he's not a centre) when he moved there at half-time.
And who wold have thought we'd have our very own try-machine - Ben Flower?! God, he's impressive.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm Now up to zero points. Can see a big improvement on attack but thought our defence tonight in the middle especially was quite easy to get through.
Zero points but up to 7th in the league on point difference! (Even if only temporary having played a game more than three of those below us). Leeds now prop the table up. :lol:

I thought it was a bit of a strange game. I thought we ended the first half well in control but then despite several sets of six on their line in the 2nd half our attack was as bad as anything seen in recent seasons culminating in Williams letting the ball go backward for them to pick up. The clever kicks had vanished from the repertoire and nothing else was on offer and there was a danger we'd let them back in it. If some of those short balls they kept trying had stuck we'd have a had a game on. The last Wigan try was very good with Hardaker making the break and Faz scoring. Thought Faz had a good game.

We didn't see it in attack much but we have got pace to burn. The chase back when they made the interception break was great. I know it was a forward but he'd got a huge head start.

As to Leeds, well how many unforced errors did they make? I know it was windy but to put was it two (or was it three) kicks out on the full was poor. If the wind takes hold of your first one, don't do a second.

Crowd flashed up as 11,200 and something. Gone are the days of Leeds filling the North stand it seems (though granted the weather warning for a bit of wind won't have helped).
It wasn't a forward it was their International stand off Tuimoala Lolohea.
Well there you go, it looked like a forward from the east stand as he was a bit ponderous. Must clean my contact lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

I was a little disappointed with both attack and defence, but I suppose we need to be patient.

I liked Lam's post match comment, when he said the players "reverted to type" when under stress at St Helens, and this in effect meant they defaulted into playing in the "old style" which they have had ingrained into them by the previous coach.

That being so, we can expect to wait several months before he can get them completely converted to his own philosophy?

The big question now is can Sammut provide the attacking inspiration which Sam Tomkins used to?
SJ

Post by SJ »

The Yonner wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 am I was a little disappointed with both attack and defence, but I suppose we need to be patient.

I liked Lam's post match comment, when he said the players "reverted to type" when under stress at St Helens, and this in effect meant they defaulted into playing in the "old style" which they have had ingrained into them by the previous coach.

That being so, we can expect to wait several months before he can get them completely converted to his own philosophy?

The big question now is can Sammut provide the attacking inspiration which Sam Tomkins used to?
Re- Sammut I really hope so. I listened the game on Wish Fm and felt the frustration of Bilko and Mills for our inability to convert pressure and chances into points. We won tho' that was the main thing. Things will improve over time. We have the talent and a new playing philosophy
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The Yonner wrote:I was a little disappointed with both attack and defence, but I suppose we need to be patient.

I liked Lam's post match comment, when he said the players "reverted to type" when under stress at St Helens, and this in effect meant they defaulted into playing in the "old style" which they have had ingrained into them by the previous coach
Lam’s post match interview on Wigan TV was interesting as he said we can expect to see Williams operating more on the right. So an end to the rigid application of the split half back formation maybe?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I enjoyed it, even thought Lockers had a good game and it's also great to see the the back of that god awful free play crap
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I appreciate that most of the comments on here are about overall team performance, but I'm still surprised that there's so little mention of George Williams' performance.

Like many, I've been slightly disappointed that he didn't seem to have fully realised his massive potential. But if he can keep playing like he did last night, we should all be shouting his name from the rooftops.

Luke Gale rated him the best kicker in SL (referring to short attacking kicks, I think). If we signed an Aussie with identical skills, many Wigan fans would be raving about him (Meds??).

Is it a case of "a prophet has no honour in his own country"?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:59 pm
The Yonner wrote:I was a little disappointed with both attack and defence, but I suppose we need to be patient.

I liked Lam's post match comment, when he said the players "reverted to type" when under stress at St Helens, and this in effect meant they defaulted into playing in the "old style" which they have had ingrained into them by the previous coach
Lam’s post match interview on Wigan TV was interesting as he said we can expect to see Williams operating more on the right. So an end to the rigid application of the split half back formation maybe?
Hopefully. My view is that the best players should have the lions share of the ball.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:35 pm I appreciate that most of the comments on here are about overall team performance, but I'm still surprised that there's so little mention of George Williams' performance.

Like many, I've been slightly disappointed that he didn't seem to have fully realised his massive potential. But if he can keep playing like he did last night, we should all be shouting his name from the rooftops.

Luke Gale rated him the best kicker in SL (referring to short attacking kicks, I think). If we signed an Aussie with identical skills, many Wigan fans would be raving about him (Meds??).

Is it a case of "a prophet has no honour in his own country"?
I'm not sure that any other half back in the competition could have scored his try. George is a massive talent and he is going to get better.
shaunedwardsfanclub

The Yonner wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 am I was a little disappointed with both attack and defence, but I suppose we need to be patient.

We definitely need to revert to type in defence.