Farrell out for 4 months

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Farrell out for 4 months

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Looks like Lammy will have changes to the side forced on him

Wigan Warriors forward Liam Farrell will be sidelined for around four months with a torn pectoral muscle.

The 28-year-old England second row is to undergo surgery on the injury he sustained in Sunday's World Club Challenge against Sydney Roosters.

"Liam has unfortunately torn his pectoral muscle and will go under the knife in the 24 hours to reattach it," said head coach Adrian Lam.

"It's a blow, as Liam is a quality player and he is part of our leadership group, but injuries are part and parcel of a sport as tough as rugby league and his misfortune presents another member of our squad with an opportunity to contribute.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/47298646
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
widdenoldboy

Re: Farrell out for 4 months

Post by widdenoldboy »

A big loss and its not clear who will slot in - perhaps an opportunity for a youngster to step up.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Didn’t Isa stand in for him last season?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

ISA will or should fill in against Hull but it gives some youngsters a shot at the bench... and with Clubby seemingly needing to get better time for someone like Kibula to have a crack
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Isa seems almost certain to replace Farrell. He's not a bad replacement, but I do think it's just very uninspiring. I like the anticipation of a young player getting an opportunity when a big name player gets injured but instead we get a steady journeyman who just plays anywhere. It's probably the safe choice, so it's hard to be too critical though. I just wish we had Jack Wells (all has gone quiet on him again) or Liam Paisley in the side to provide a bit of intrigue.

A spot opens up on the bench, but I get the feeling Lam won't make many chances and that Sammut will replace Farrell in the starting line up and then potentially Tautai coming in to replace Clubb or Navarrete. Personally I'd be leaving Clubb, Navarrete and Isa out of the side but coaches rarely make wholesale changes and that decision usually ends up being justified in the long run.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I feel bad for the guy, but, based on form, I don't see this being an issue for us.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

:)
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:40 am I feel bad for the guy, but, based on form, I don't see this being an issue for us.
On Form? Sure he hasnt been his usual self after moving sides but his form hasnt been poor.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We need someone with experience on the right, someone who has respect of his fellow players, a captain perhaps, someone with international experience and has won trophies his whole career...

...someone like Joel Tomkins
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Too injury prone to be depended upon. What is his injury record over the last 3 seasons? From memory he has had a number of 3-5 month injuries.

He hasn't been the same for 2-3 years now. I remember a time where he was one of the first names on the team sheet, had devastating pace, handling, hitting gaps and breaking lines regularly and was scoring for fun. He wouldn't even make the England squad anymore never mind starting 13.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:34 am We need someone with experience on the right, someone who has respect of his fellow players, a captain perhaps, someone with international experience and has won trophies his whole career...

...someone like Joel Tomkins
Rather play Escare in second row!

Eddy Pettyborne is playing well at Toulouse, Mossop's doing well at Salford too. How many players do you want to give second chances too? Tomkins has already had his second chance and blew it on his dreadful performances walking around the pitch . No more chances for him!!!!
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: