Burrell

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
morley pie eater

Burrell

Post by morley pie eater »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47295563

Good to see a RL signing from Union, though I've no idea who he is....
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Re: Burrell

Post by josie andrews »

What did I say about Cas & Wire signing players later in the year with the salary cap dispensation, Warrington have already got a player lined up for the run in to the season!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

He is a decent centre (or at least was, not sure of his form thesedays).

He was an England RU regular but lost out when Sam Burgess took the centre spot.

Ironic that RU are now shipping their old players to RL. The circle is complete.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington Wolves exploit salary cap rule for Burrell move

CROSS-CODE signing Luther Burrell will not cost Warrington Wolves a penny on their salary cap for the first 18 months of his rugby league career.

The Wire have taken advantage of one of several dispensations in the Super League salary cap regulations to snap up the 31-year-old former England centre on a two-and-a-half year contract from July 1.

The league introduced new rules two years ago to allow clubs with sufficient funds to bring in players from outside the game without it impacting on the wage cap.

Although Burrell played league as a junior – he is a former team-mate of Huddersfield and England winger Jermaine McGillvary – he has spent his entire professional career in union, firstly for Leeds Carnegie and Sale and for the last seven years with Northampton.

Warrington used the exemption to sign winger Taylor Prell from Yorkshire Carnegie in April 2017, although he was released at the end of the 2018 season without making a first-team appearance.

The rule has been in place for a number of years but probably hasn't been utilised," said chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick.

"It's called the new talent pool dispensation, so if you were to bring in Usain Bolt or anybody from outside rugby league, it will not impact on your cap for at least the first two years.

"If you've never played rugby league at professional level you get 100 per cent dispensation, which means in this case we'll basically get Luther at zero on the cap for the remainder of this year and next year and then in 2021 he's at 50 per cent.

"So it can make a real difference. Clubs are allowed two spots, so if another one did become available which we thought could benefit our squad and could make the transition, we would look at that again."

"Obviously we've still got to pay his salary and that's where we're fortunate to have Simon Moran and Stuart Middleton, the chairman, who back the club in these instances."

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sp ... rell-move/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Another club that seemingly know how to get round the salary cap!! 🤨
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Josie, many on here have been saying for the last five years that the man we need to sign is the Warrington accountant. There's a man who flies under the radar.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

It’s available to every club so good luck to Wire.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 pm Another club that seemingly know how to get round the salary cap!! 🤨
Seems like a very straight forward rule to me and no different to utilizing the Marquee player.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I wonder if theu would have been given the dispensation if they had annouced this first!
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm It’s available to every club so good luck to Wire.
Well the ruling says that the players first full season will not count. As it stands (and how it's being reported) . His wage will not count for this season (as it is not a full season) and will not count until the end of next season either.

One way or another they have signed an International RU player (former Huddersfield Giants junior) and for 18 months his salary will not count on the cap. I'm just waiting for them to use the dispensation they got from the RFL :shock:

As you say. Other clubs have the opportunity (as they also do with the marquee but only two clubs use both) ..............................................................if the money aint there
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: