Wigan vs roosters

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan vs roosters

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

bertina wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Yes its an opinion as was mine but people are making excuses for him, i don't know if he can progress or wether this is it, but I'm sick of seeing "he needs this, that or the other"to be honest with you.
I totally agree. He is the marquee player, he is the one that should be running the show, not depending on someone else to do it for him. pretty much a one trick pony, short kick to the line or nothing.
What do our other pivots create?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 am Takes a lot of wrong options does Williams IMO. I'm not sure hes a "natural" rugby player. He seems to be taught things and does them over and over regardless of whether it's the best thing to do. We'll see though, a few more seasons of experience and he maybe the best in the world.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
But I remember at u17-reserves when we had Hampshire as a fantastic prospect at 6 Williams played all his rugby at 7. Who decided he should be a 6 and why???
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Together Hampshire & Williams were a force in the academy, played together all the time. They should have been our future 6 & 7 respectively & probably would have been for many years

From what I’ve heard, Hampshire was pushed to FB, a position he’d never played & then he was let go, someone asked why & was told ‘because he can’t wrestle’!

Why do we insist on pushing players into positions they have never played as juniors?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

IIRC when George was promoted to the first team Ryan Hampshire was out injured. Matty Smith was our 7 so George was given the number 6 shirt. As has been mentioned George always played 7. When Ryan recovered he was asked to play fullback. It was pretty obvious watching him in the reserves it was completely alien to him. Remember Jack Murphy was thrown in at fullback one match (he only played wing or centre) and we all know how that game went. Square peg and round holes spring to mind.
pedro

Post by pedro »

and when we had an opening at 7, they still played Hampshire at 1 instead of 7
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

This is the issue.

There are some players who can play multiple positions. Isa is probably the best current example.

There are some players who have a "steady" position, but can fill in quite reasonably elsewhere. e.g. Lockers

There are other players who can only play one position. Andy Gregory would fall into this category.

I think it's the sign of a good coach to identify the above and develop/prepare accordingly.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:09 pm Together Hampshire & Williams were a force in the academy, played together all the time. They should have been our future 6 & 7 respectively & probably would have been for many years

From what I’ve heard, Hampshire was pushed to FB, a position he’d never played & then he was let go, someone asked why & was told ‘because he can’t wrestle’!

Why do we insist on pushing players into positions they have never played as juniors?
IIRC Hampshire played fullback in the academy final which was switched to Headingley (can't remember the year). George was MoM and Bretherton looked good coming off the bench in 2nd half.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pedro wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:40 am and when we had an opening at 7, they still played Hampshire at 1 instead of 7
What position is Hampshire playing at Wakey now?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:09 pm Together Hampshire & Williams were a force in the academy, played together all the time. They should have been our future 6 & 7 respectively & probably would have been for many years

IIRC Hampshire played fullback in the academy final which was switched to Headingley (can't remember the year). George was MoM and Bretherton looked good coming off the bench in 2nd half.
Yes he did, with the then upcoming Jake Shorrocks playing at 6 along side George at 7.

But mainly all through the academy, Hampshire played 6 to Williams 7
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:38 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Yes he did, with the then upcoming Jake Shorrocks playing at 6 along side George at 7.

But mainly all through the academy, Hampshire played 6 to Williams 7
It wasn't Shorrocks who played in that academy game at Leeds it was Jamie Doran, and Hampshire wasn't moved to fullback because he couldn't wrestle.