Sky Sports commentator Eddie Hemmings to retire after four decades

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Voice of rugby league' to hang up his microphone

Eddie Hemmings, the voice of rugby league for over four decades, is hanging up his microphone and leaving a post he has held at Sky since 1990.

For a quarter of a century, Eddie and Mike 'Stevo' Stephenson were the sport's definitive voices and best-loved characters. Together, they shaped the Super League era, working on two World Cups, countless Super League games and over 15 years' worth of Great Britain and home nations internationals.

Since Stevo's retirement, Eddie has built a new sound with Barrie McDermott and Terry O'Connor, and will be greatly missed by them, along with the rest of the presentation team of Brian Carney, Phil Clarke and Jon Wells.

It's been an honour and a privilege to work for Sky Sports for nearly 30 years," said Hemmings on announcing his retirement.

"When Stevo retired, I said I'd give it a couple more years without him, and with Terry O'Connor and Barrie McDermott alongside me the fun has never stopped.

"There are far too many people to thank - but I'd just like to single out our head of rugby league Neville Smith and the most brilliant of researchers, Ian Proctor, who have made my job so easy.

“Also, to the Super League coaches, who have trusted me and shared information with me - a huge debt of gratitude to all of them.

"I'll miss it, there's no doubt about that - but now I will have more time for my wife and family. My wife Carole and I have many adventures planned - to coin a phrase from Super League itself, it's a whole new era for us and new beginnings."

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis said: "What Eddie has done for rugby league over four decades is truly exceptional.

“He's helped tell the incredible story of a sport that has been transformed in front of his eyes, relayed with eloquence and charm through his microphone to the viewers.

"His charismatic, witty and straight-talking commentary will be greatly missed by all, but he leaves behind a legacy and many fond memories."

Eddie's farewell game for Sky Sports will be the famous Good Friday derby between Wigan and St Helens on April 19.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ur-decades
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Sky Sports commentator Eddie Hemmings to retire after four decades

Post by medlocke »

I shall miss his Saints bias anti Wigan enthusiasm, NOT
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Best news for long time, should of gone when melon head retired.
Could commentate better with my eyes closed myself
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:02 pm Best news for long time, should of gone when melon head retired.
Could commentate better with my eyes closed myself
Well why don’t you give it a go & see how long you can commentate for off the cuff without stumbling or saying ‘erm’! It’s not an easy job.

We all complain & moan, I have done also, my only complaint is the constant prattling on about anything but the game. Phil Clarke, Barry McDermott & Terry O’Connor are a lot worse IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

It’s not that he couldn’t think anything to say josie but we you could tell he was anti Wigan. Listen back to the saints games and listen to how many times Eddie mentions the point deduction Wigan had, I’m sure he got off on it. Couldnt praise Leeds enough either when they were a better team.
I prefer Barry and terry over him by a country mile. Phil makes me cringe though
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Best news ever....... makes my current man flu improve 100%
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It’s seems a trait that RL commentators stay around too long. Ray French was just too old fashioned by the time he stopped though of course nothing like as biased or deliberately controversial as Hemings and knew more about the game than Hemings ever will but they do seem to stick around too long. In Hemming ‘s case by about 20 years :-)
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Can we have Ray Warren or Andrew Voss, both different class from the Muppets we have.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:56 am It’s seems a trait that RL commentators stay around too long. Ray French was just too old fashioned by the time he stopped though of course nothing like as biased or deliberately controversial as Hemings and knew more about the game than Hemings ever will but they do seem to stick around too long. In Hemming ‘s case by about 20 years :-)
But who do we want to loathe next, my bet is Brian Carney.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Voss is class
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE