London game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: London game

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:57 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:58 pm I didn't see the game, but have two questions:
Does the team selection suggest Lam underestimates "weaker" opposition?
I understand we ended up with Isa at centre. Why not Hardaker's to centre and Escaré to full back?
Who would have played on the wing? One of the junior players?
Mullen was in the 19!

It looks like Lam just set Escare up to fail to drop him, if this happens it will be a joke as Tautai kept his place after the hull game.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Are we not all being entertained though and happy?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Lam used Escare as an excuse for losing a player who does not normally play on the wing gets lambasted by Lam .Sorry mr Lam your excuse does not rub with me as a coach that you are you picked the team and the team followed your coaching .According to people that went all the team did not perform .Have we got a Charnley versus Wane scenario with Lam and Escare??
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

1. Escaré
2. Davies
3. Hardaker
4. Gildart
5. Isa

I know it sounds weird having Isa at 5, but would have had a number of advantages, including:
*Escaré can catch
*Gilly on his proper side
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Backs v Hudds -
Escare, Manfredi, Hardaker, Gildart, Davies/Marshall, Williams, Sammut.
Didn't see the game but if Manfredi's fit then he plays IMO.

Matters need to be sorted in the here and now. If we are still the defensive shambles after the Hudds match then we need a defence coach and quick.
tommytags

Post by tommytags »

DEFENCE UPTO PRESS VERY BAD, LEEDS AND HULL PUNISHED OUR AWFUL DEFENCE,NEEDS TO TIGHTEN UP OR WE WONT SEE TOP 4. VERY WEAK LEFT HAND SIDE.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

For what I saw against London, defence was not the issue. We conceded two tries through defence and our attack conceded the third through an error. We squandered so much possession at the attacking end of the field with poor options and errors, especially on our left. To me, execution and decision making in attack is the main issue, not really the defence.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I just watched the game back. We were pretty comfortably held at arm's length by a very ordinary London side in the second half. A second 40 in which we only scored one try, and came close to scoring on only one other occasion, from a kick. Bullock looked decent again, and Navarette was better, but a performance utterly devoid of spark that I doubt would have troubled many Championship sides.

Hardaker can catch a high ball, but offers nothing going forward. I know people have said, play him at centre, but let's not forget he butchered a try against Hull in the centre position. In fact it's fair to say he was outshone by his opposite number Walker in this game.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

moto748 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:53 pm I just watched the game back. We were pretty comfortably held at arm's length by a very ordinary London side in the second half. A second 40 in which we only scored one try, and came close to scoring on only one other occasion, from a kick. Bullock looked decent again, and Navarette was better, but a performance utterly devoid of spark that I doubt would have troubled many Championship sides.

Hardaker can catch a high ball, but offers nothing going forward. I know people have said, play him at centre, but let's not forget he butchered a try against Hull in the centre position. In fact it's fair to say he was outshone by his opposite number Walker in this game.
Just watched on Wigan TV, we were in control for first 30 minutes but didn't score enough points in that time. FOrwards made enough yards but we didn't create from there. Credit to Broncos defence and smart play and they didn't fall off in the last 10 minutes.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:21 pm
DaveO wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:57 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:58 pm I didn't see the game, but have two questions:
Does the team selection suggest Lam underestimates "weaker" opposition?
I understand we ended up with Isa at centre. Why not Hardaker's to centre and Escaré to full back?
Who would have played on the wing? One of the junior players?
Mullen was in the 19!

It looks like Lam just set Escare up to fail to drop him, if this happens it will be a joke as Tautai kept his place after the hull game.
How many times has Mullen played on the wing, that wasn't his position in the academy team? Who would you have left out of Sarginson, Gildart or Hardaker?
Escare played for France on the wing in November.