IL and KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: IL and KR

Post by DaveO »

Tomkins spent most of last season organising the defense on-field. Now he has gone no one is doing it. Saying the defense doesn't rely on one or two people misses this point because that one player was key.

As to the charge originally levelled at IL and Rads of poor recruitment, I agree 100%.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

Although I don't think that our current plight is all IL and Rads's fault, they do need to shoulder the bulk of the blame.

This team is still Shaun Wane's at its core (minus 2 of the best players). The players had 7 years of playing Wane's style of rugby and are now being asked to play a completely different style. Gabe Hamlin gave an interview where he said that Lam was trying to get the forwards to do more playmaking, can anyone really see our forwards being able to play that style?

If Lam was going to have any chance then he needed to be backed with good signings that could play his style of rugby. He requested a new half back and was given a 31 year old, championship level player, I doubt that was what he was expecting. Before Christmas, Lam also spoke about looking for another forward (presumably to replace Bateman) but nothing came of it, so I'm guessing he was let down again there.

I'm hoping that IL and Rads learn from this and the new coach (hopefully Edwards) will get the players he needs.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 pm
pedro wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:39 pm they only missed 1 game together last season.
Tomkins didnt play any of the saints matches it was like he was scared of Barba.

And the point is the defense doesnt rely on one or two people it was everyone working together to keep the team out, we shouldnt have lost that from a couple of departures.
\

he did...
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Is it time for Rads to go ??is he up for the job??some bad signings and some extended contracts to average players ,some over the hill never mind this season being transitional next season will be worse if the wrong players are not sought after.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm
pedro wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:39 pm they only missed 1 game together last season.
Tomkins didnt play any of the saints matches it was like he was scared of Barba.

And the point is the defense doesnt rely on one or two people it was everyone working together to keep the team out, we shouldnt have lost that from a couple of departures.
\

he did...
Did he i remeber

Injured
Migrane
Bee sting.

I know that the game we won vs them was Escare at fullback at our defense was fine.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:35 pm

\

he did...
Did he i remeber

Injured
Migrane
Bee sting.

I know that the game we won vs them was Escare at fullback at our defense was fine.
yeah he scored all our points
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

\

he did...
Did he i remeber

Injured
Migrane
Bee sting.

He had a cracker that game, but then Sam came back and played sublimely for most of the season..
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 pm
\

he did...
Did he i remeber

Injured
Migrane
Bee sting.

He had a cracker that game, but then Sam came back and played sublimely for most of the season..
He did my point though was our defence was fine while Tomkins didnt play so it shouldnt be as bad as it has been because a couple of players have left.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

but Bateman also played that game
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We are SL champions. We have won far more in the last decade than anyone bar Leeds. Maybe, just maybe, things aren’t so bad? Even if it takes us a while to adjust to life after Wane - and I lost count of the number of threads posted by those being massively negative about how it’s going this year demanding Wane be sacked - IL and KR have earned our patience and trust.