Wigan v Hudds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 am
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm Say what you want and the trolls are on tonight saying " I told you so".

Wigan's problem is the squad it too thinly spread. We have a huge squad spent to the limit on the cap. Half of the squad is currently on loan to championship teams. The rest (out first team) does not have enough real genuine quality to make up for the glaring problems in the team and the way we want to play.

Get rid of the deadwood and those not going to make it and buy one or two real quality and cut this huge squad of mediocrity
But not all of the squad count against the cap only the top 25 and we are at the salary cap limit. It will be interesting to see who is dropped next week, Davies and Nav this week but some of our team are picked week in week out despite playing poorly!
But these players still earn a wage though and it’s this huge lumbering squad that’s going to be,if the clubs not careful full,Wigan’s downfall,

The time has come to start cutting the deadwood,Ganson,shoe rocks and the likes are they ever going to be part of the first team,if not time to say goodbye,too much sentiment it seems to me.
PAB721

Post by PAB721 »

The most shocking thing for me from last night (apart from the clueless kicking, woeful passing and lack of invention...) was the total lack of line speed in defence. Compared to Huddersfield we were so ponderous - walking up to the tackle instead of blasting off the line. The only time we showed any enthusiasm was when we had them pinned inside the 10/15 yard line. Huddersfield (while forgetting for a minute about them being offside at just about every play) were so much quicker into the tackle - meeting the ball carrier instead of waiting for him. As for the lack of ability to clamp the ball in the tackle...how many cheap offloads did we allow? How we have gone from having such a dominant defence to this shambles is puzzling.

I can accept a new, attacking style will take time to learn and implement (even though I cannot see any evidence as to what the style is supposed to be), but the cornerstone of our recent success has been defence and for that to disintegrate so quickly is ridiculous. I'm not sure we even have the players to adapt to that style.

Potentially a long season ahead, but I'll keep the faith....
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Hopeless.

Basic football was just not there. Normally cast iron players like Lockers were playing like 18 year old rookies.

No energy. No teamwork. No ideas.

What is going on?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

When Marshall got injured and escare came on, he should of gone to FB, push gilly onto the wing and Zak in the centre. Escare is more effective coming from the back
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I was horrified seeing what we were at the Saints game - I never believed it could be worse.

I'm wary of making really personal comments about individual players but everyone can see there is something wrong with Hardaker. He hardly ever takes a high ball from a bomb; lets a grubber kick run until it stops; avoids contact with the oppo and defensively, he's like Macavity - he's never there when a try happens. The first try yesterday saw him following the player with the ball and not laying a hand on him and for the second one he was a spectator under the posts marking no one. For his own and the team's sake he needs to be moved from FB with Escare replacing him and after that, it depends on if he's able to fill a role at centre, I suppose. He's a shadow of his former self.
As to the rest...…………… it's fortunate Huddersfield were a dreadful team and I fear for next Friday. Seeing SOL explode at Powell tells me that SOL is worried about what's going on with the team, not just that Powell had a shocker (it happens to everyone, although we all have views on whether he's generally good enough).
I thought Tautai was lucky to still be on the pitch when he was sinbinned after his late near shoulder-charge on the kicker earlier on and I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt re kicking out until I saw the replay. There's a definite gap between him being on his back and then kicking out. Hicks, who had a totally incompetent match should either have said nothing to see here - get on with it - or red card not a yellow. Typical of him.
I'm guessing we will be without Marshall for a long spell. It looked like the classic studs caught in the turf and the knee turned. Cruciate, I fear.

I don't know if there is an answer with the players that we have - we may have to grit our teeth, write off this season and recruit for next year. Do I believe that will happen? Of course not.
Get the left side working Burgess, Gildart, Greenwood, Williams and we might be able to score tries although for a new, improved, attacking team we move the ball so slowly that it's worse than under Wane.
Last year the ball rarely reached the wings before they were swamped with tacklers - now it just about gets to the centres if we're lucky before the same happens.
I'm depressed.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:32 pm No clue. Excuses all the time. Get gone Lam ffs made a Champion team turn into the worst in the League. Losing Tomkins and Bateman is not an excuse.

Pathetic. Clueless
Don't forget how much better we were when we had Sutton back from his long term injury either
Last edited by ian.birchall on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:40 am When Marshall got injured and escare came on, he should of gone to FB, push gilly onto the wing and Zak in the centre. Escare is more effective coming from the back
morgan should be in starting lineup at fullback . why not try hardaker at loose forward and bring on sol as sub
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 am
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm Say what you want and the trolls are on tonight saying " I told you so".

Wigan's problem is the squad it too thinly spread. We have a huge squad spent to the limit on the cap. Half of the squad is currently on loan to championship teams. The rest (out first team) does not have enough real genuine quality to make up for the glaring problems in the team and the way we want to play.

Get rid of the deadwood and those not going to make it and buy one or two real quality and cut this huge squad of mediocrity
But not all of the squad count against the cap only the top 25 and we are at the salary cap limit. It will be interesting to see who is dropped next week, Davies and Nav this week but some of our team are picked week in week out despite playing poorly!
Not getting into a slanging match so apologies if it appears that way pal

Field, Shorrocks, Worthington, Wells, Woods, Ganson, Forsyth, and a number of others have been at the club some time now, how long do we persist with these before someone decided that they are never going to be good enough for Wigan's first team?

Further in, Isa, Lulu, Tautai, Powell, Sarginson, Escare, Sammut, Clubb, Navarrette etc are players that should only be squad players. Simply should be looking to sign or promote from within much better than these - not keep giving newer and longer term deals

Others on loan at Dewsbury. Workington, Swinton etc etc should stay there permanently and get the games/experience they need. Stop propping up all these clubs with our salary cap and recruit top quality players for weak positions and reduce this over-bloated squad of mediocrity
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

thing is they arent on loan 4 are on DR so means we pay for them all etc. Only Kibula is on loan. Our SC mismanagement is scary.