Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Re: Williams

Post by old hooker »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:22 am He's being asked to play a different game under Lam. Under Wane we played with split halves, Williams on the left and Leuluai on the right.
Do we need to go back to the system that worked so successfully or do we give Lam time to make his system work?
Why make excuses for him,he hasnt got a 7, hes playing behind a beaten pack ,now hes playing a different game,for gods sakes he not good enough and thats the bottom line
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:27 am
No straw damn us wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:22 am He's being asked to play a different game under Lam. Under Wane we played with split halves, Williams on the left and Leuluai on the right.
Do we need to go back to the system that worked so successfully or do we give Lam time to make his system work?
Why make excuses for him,he hasnt got a 7, hes playing behind a beaten pack ,now hes playing a different game,for gods sakes he not good enough and thats the bottom line
I imagine Rogues would still find excuses for him even if he single-handedly lost us a grand final or CC final
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Certainly the only evidence I can see for any difference in tactics from Lam compared to last season is that Williams strays onto the right hand side of the field a bit more often. But, as others have noted, not to any great effect.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Personally think Williams will be a doubt as he did appear to be holding his right arm and have trouble with it early in the second half.

Could be excuses but if we already had both wingers off, maybe he would have had to leave the field had the club got other options?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Going against the grain here folks, I really like Williams, he should be an exciting Maverick player, but unfortunately for him he's been stifled by a very structured style of play. It's obvious that he needs a steady Eddie half (ala Green) to play along side him to allow him to be the player we know he can be. When he was playing with Smith he Played well, was chased by other clubs and so earned his Marquee money. Since then his half back partners have been........Powell, Leuluai, Lockers, Tomkins, Woods and Sammut. Sometimes more recently he's played with a number of these during a single game, none of which is great for flowing rugby.

Is this fair on Williams? Should we be concentrating on finding a long term partner for George rather than getting rid? Should Williams be partnering Sammut to get a bit of cohesion rather than swapping and changing .

To sum up, IMO, Williams would have been/be more effective with a regular halfback partner that would complement Williams style of play.

Matt
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I certainly think Williams and Sammut should be given a few games together. Whatever we think about JS, he is here now, so we might as well give him a run and see how he goes. At the least, he seems to have a better kicking game than anyone else at the club. A low bar, though, I agree.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

moto748 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:36 pm I certainly think Williams and Sammut should be given a few games together. Whatever we think about JS, he is here now, so we might as well give him a run and see how he goes. At the least, he seems to have a better kicking game than anyone else at the club. A low bar, though, I agree.

They should be given many games together, preferably with St Helens. :D
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

They wouldn’t get a game, as that superstar Richardson (who many on here wanted to recruit) would be in their way 😁
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:16 pm They wouldn’t get a game, as that superstar Richardson (who many on here wanted to recruit) would be in their way 😁
No he wouldnt hes playing for Leigh.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

old hooker wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:47 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:16 pm They wouldn’t get a game, as that superstar Richardson (who many on here wanted to recruit) would be in their way 😁
No he wouldnt hes playing for Leigh.
And not setting the league on fire,from what ive heard
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE