Issues

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ch5334r

Issues

Post by ch5334r »

Hello all, first timer poster here compelled to voice my opinions after the performances we have been putting out so far this year under Lam.

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing the Wane era. He was extremely successful, however from a fans perspective, the style wasn't particularly easy on the eye.

Firstly, there seems to be a complete lack of direction in attack, from 6, 7 and 9. In my opinion, this has been apparent since the departure of Brett Finch/Blake Green. However successful, Wanes style of rugby league didn't require much creativity in the halves, since emphasis was put on an iron defence and grinding opponents out of the game. Since the departure of Tomkins, there is a clear lack of leadership in attack, even more so than before, with no player able to direct traffic and organise players.

After watching George Williams for years, I have come to the conclusion that he is an average half back with a good short kicking game, who has the ability to occasionally produce flashes of brilliance from the boot. However, all other aspects of his game are that of an average player. With a non-existent running game, poor long kicking game and as previously mentioned, he isn't an authoritative figure within the squad able to lead a competent attack. Unfortunately, if George were to take a trip to the NRL at the end of the year, I fear he would be back with us for the 2022 Super League campaign.

Leuluai and Powell provide an excellent work rate in defence. However, they are occupying positions which should be filled by competent play makers, and sadly they are both completely inept with ball in hand. I am struggling to understand how Powell has made so many first grade appearances or what coaches see in him, as on analysis, his performances are consistently average.

Lam has repeatedly mentioned he wanted to bring an attacking style of rugby league to Wigan, which is absolutely preferable from a spectators perspective, especially after watching years of a defensive minded, grinding rugby style. My concern is the quality of players in key positions and their ability to play expansive attacking rugby, especially since many of them have just spent around 8 years doing exactly the opposite under Wane.

Secondly, poor recruitment from KR/IL in the off-season is a contributing factor. The signings that have been made haven't rectified long term issues that have been facing the club such as leadership in attack, despite quality players being brought in. If we want to play attacking, creative rugby league, we need players in key positions who have the know how. Sammut was an underwhelming buy to say the least, and despite the fact I shouldn't judge him before I have seen how he will fit into the side, from the performances I have seen in past clubs, he isn't the remedy.

Lastly, the Wane era is all many of these players know and transitioning to Lams coaching style may be challenging, and one of the main reasons for the poor performances. Conversely, Lams coaching style itself may be a large part of the problem as he is relatively untested in a head coaching role.

I can see quite a few other issues within the squad, but i'll leave it there as this post has been extremely negative. Despite that, Hamlin and Bullock are terrific signings and have been performing week in week out.

Please comment with your thoughts.

Thanks, Charlie.
Last edited by ch5334r on Wed May 06, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Fester

Re: Issues

Post by Uncle Fester »

Agreed
Yes I Ate All The Pies !!!!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, not much to argue with there. I'd say that Bullock and Hamlin are decent, rather than terrific signings. but I suppose we look for chinks of light where we can!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:Yes, not much to argue with there. I'd say that Bullock and Hamlin are decent, rather than terrific signings. but I suppose we look for chinks of light where we can!
Agreed. Both decent signings and also have the potential to improve.

I agree with the original post as well. We are crying out for a decent 9. I think such a player would help a great deal to lift us out of the current slump.

I think the point about the players being schooled in Wanes way of playing and not knowing any different is a good one and one overlooked by many of us myself included.

It was/is probably a bit naive to expect a different coach to suddenly have the players playing a different style.

Perhaps it shouldn’t be and the players ought to be able to do it but they clearly can’t at the moment. I suspect Lam is a bit shocked at what he has on his hands. I am sure he knows he lost some of the best players we had but equally is probably just as shocked the team isn’t adapting.

A good example is related to how Bullock and Hamlin play. If you recall when Hamlin got his full debut he was a hit with the fans for not dropping to the floor at the first contact. Wane was not happy. Now Bullock hasn’t been schooled to do that. He looks quite impressive with his drives but it is as if the rest of the team don’t know what he is up to given the lack of support players who follow him.

I can remember a certain cpwigan saying not coach should be at a club longer than three years. I think he meant they ran out of ideas but I think the real issue is the squad ends up too wedded to one style of play if coaches stick around longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SJ

Post by SJ »

Excellent post Charlie. Dave(the Oricle) 0 will have nowt to say "tisue" bless you my son"
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 am
moto748 wrote:Yes, not much to argue with there. I'd say that Bullock and Hamlin are decent, rather than terrific signings. but I suppose we look for chinks of light where we can!

I can remember a certain cpwigan saying not coach should be at a club longer than three years. I think he meant they ran out of ideas but I think the real issue is the squad ends up too wedded to one style of play if coaches stick around longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But Alan kept misquoting the great coach (forgot his name), Said coach only stated the 3 year rule as that was how long he could put up with the interfering and meddling of board members, It's in his book, The quote can be found online with a bit of searching, Wish I could remember his name
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

His name came up many times this very site

Search found 223 matches: jack gibson
SJ

Post by SJ »

Jack Gibson
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Paradox wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 am His name came up many times this very site

Search found 223 matches: jack gibson
That's the one, cheers, For some reason I kept coming up with Harry Jackson :D
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Agreed, with the caveat that I think George is good defensively - he tackles well and that when he is on the left side as part of the attacking force, he's very good. Can't remember how many times we got out of jail last season with Burgess & Gildart running onto George's kicks.