Rugby union converts who made an impact at Wigan... and those who didn't

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jaws1

Re: Rugby union converts who made an impact at Wigan... and those who didn't

Post by jaws1 »

Green Vigo if the demon drink had not got hold of him. Controversial when he first came to Wigan had an haircut but did not like it so had his head shaved .Over 8000 people watching his debut in the A team .
Other South Africans Rob Louw .Ray Mordt and Nick Dutoit
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Andre Stoop - Namibian RU Ace!!! Remember seeing his debut against Wire in the Locker Cup. Was down as A. N. Other. Had a good game. Think later in the same season broke into the first team and played really well. Ended up going back to rugby union, not sure with who or where. Shame I thought he was entertaining and elusive player.

Matt
SJ

Post by SJ »

adiddy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:16 pm Andre Stoop - Namibian RU Ace!!! Remember seeing his debut against Wire in the Locker Cup. Was down as A. N. Other. Had a good game. Think later in the same season broke into the first team and played really well. Ended up going back to rugby union, not sure with who or where. Shame I thought he was entertaining and elusive player.

Can't seem to recall him. You mention the Locker Cup played annually between us and Wire every Boxing Day. My brothers father-in-law(who played for wire in the dim and distant past told me in conversation that it was called by another name. I didn't argue thinking he knew best being a wire supporter and me being a "southern Jessie "Wigan fan". If you can confirm that I'd love to show him. He's in his 80's me 75 memories fading. Re Another post. Course Billy is a legend but Fairburn came into our team ,held it together became an excellent captain and was subsequently transferred to KR for a then record fee. Now that's what I call an impact 😎
Jim
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

SJ wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am
adiddy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:16 pm Andre Stoop - Namibian RU Ace!!! Remember seeing his debut against Wire in the Locker Cup. Was down as A. N. Other. Had a good game. Think later in the same season broke into the first team and played really well. Ended up going back to rugby union, not sure with who or where. Shame I thought he was entertaining and elusive player.

Can't seem to recall him. You mention the Locker Cup played annually between us and Wire every Boxing Day. My brothers father-in-law(who played for wire in the dim and distant past told me in conversation that it was called by another name. I didn't argue thinking he knew best being a wire supporter and me being a "southern Jessie "Wigan fan". If you can confirm that I'd love to show him. He's in his 80's me 75 memories fading. Re Another post. Course Billy is a legend but Fairburn came into our team ,held it together became an excellent captain and was subsequently transferred to KR for a then record fee. Now that's what I call an impact 😎
Jim
Hi Jim, your brothers father-in-law is right, the Locker Cup started in1938 and was originally called the Wardonia cup. Both cup names were from the local companies that sponsored the match. The gate receipts was then split between a number of local Warrington charities. The locker cup was a pre-season friendly (if there was such a thing between Wigan and Wire) usually played around the end of August.

Matt
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

David stephenson....... im sure he started as a scottish union player...... im not 100% though
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
SJ

Post by SJ »

Thanks for the clarification Matt I'm at least half right😀 We always played Wire I Boxing Day and as you say it was always a blood bath.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

SJ wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:37 am Thanks for the clarification Matt I'm at least half right😀 We always played Wire I Boxing Day and as you say it was always a blood bath.
Surely it was Wire on New Year's Day? I can't remember us playing anyone but Saints on Boxing Day.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
endoman

Post by endoman »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am David stephenson....... im sure he started as a scottish union player...... im not 100% though
Stephenson came from Fylde I think.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

As did Tom Davies. And Mark Preston played for Fylde for many years after his heyday