IL and KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: IL and KR

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:46 pm i didn't miss a third one off DaveO,

its simple, if recruitment and coaching was as bad as the constant detractors like yourself say we would not have won anything. you might not like Wanes style but hes was not a bad coach, his record shows that!

yes recruitment could have been better but as a Wigan fan we are aware the IL policy is to promote from the youth where possible, and he has done this while at the same time having a coach who go the most out of these players and won use plenty of silverware.

Wanes and IL tenure is not a failure. its also not perfect as just as you've stated maybe with better recruitment we could have cleaned up.. however that is just opinion and assumption where as our current level of success is fact.

IL has potentially pulled Edwards away from Union to coach, i see how many see this as being massive and will fix all out issues. At the same time if Edwards fails (which is a very real possibility Union isn't the same as league) then people are ALREADY blaming IL.. (not allowed player etc)

its a good job IL has thicker skin than me as he is dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't.
As I pointed out since 1998 until now overalland again since 2011 coinciding with Wane taking over, Wigan have not done as well as Leeds or Saints. That is over a decade of not being, as we are accustomed to being, the best team in the land and we have fallen behind our rivals. No I don't expect us to win everything every year but I think we should be the ones with Leeds record. It should be us with 8 GF's and Leeds with 4. We have over that time spent as much as if not more than any other club on players wages always paying to the cap.

It doesn't follow we would not have won anything with poor recruitment. It's not as black or white as that given contracts last the time they do so you have players like Sam T for a few seasons at least. We have had Lockers another who has lifted the side but we seem to have no idea how to replace him. The erosion of the talent in the team has been gradual but my opinion is we have won less than we could have due to poor recruitment and also down to Wane being coach. I also never said Wane and IL's tenure was a failure, just not as successful as they ought to have been given the standard of SL.

There have actually been some inspired bits of recruitment such as Gleeson without whom we'd not have won the GF in 2010 IMO and Bateman without whom we'd probably not have won the final last year but since IL took over our recruitment has been haphazard and opportunistic for the most part. I mean why was it HKR that first signed Blake Green and not us? IL has signed some right dross such as (but not limited to) Andy Powell (remember him?), Pettybourne, Mathers and Pryce. We have signed players who impress against us in say the 2nd row for Wakey and then Wane has played them at prop and they have never looked any good. FPN got slagged off for going to ground when it was clearly what he was told to do thus negating his "wrecking ball" asset so why did we sign him at all?

If IL wants to promote from the youth where possible he needs to prove it works. At the moment 11 of tonight's 19 are not a product of Wigan's youth system and I am being generous by not including Bullock in that 11 and we have several home grown players on our books who can't get a game despite being in their 20's so they are out on loan.

I am also not sure what Edwards has got to do with the point I am making which is pointing out we have not been as successful as I believe we should have since 1998.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I thought FPN was just a bit tired most of the time so had to have a little lie-down.

Seriously, successful clubs have succession planning so that if you win things, your players are likely to be head Down Under so you need someone to fill in quite quickly and seamlessly. Certainly hasn't happened in key positions here and those players that will be needed soon are not immediately apparent.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 am Sam Kasiano to Catalans, Yet another great signing for Super League, Meanwhile at Wigan :shock:

Another example of Wigan hierarchy showing no ambition.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:02 pm
medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 am Sam Kasiano to Catalans, Yet another great signing for Super League, Meanwhile at Wigan :shock:

Another example of Wigan hierarchy showing no ambition.
Looks like Mr Lenagan is setting his sights on being the best side in the Championship
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Not sure 100% of the blame can be thrown at KR.

From what I have been told, he had agreed terms with an England International who wanted to come to the club but IL vetoed deal on account of the wages

What more can he do if the owner keeps saying "no"??
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 pm Not sure 100% of the blame can be thrown at KR.

From what I have been told, he had agreed terms with an England International who wanted to come to the club but IL vetoed deal on account of the wages

What more can he do if the owner keeps saying "no"??
That sounds a bit strange to me. Rads obviously can't go offering deals that would cause Wigan to break the cap so I presume he hasn't done that.

The Sky money pays the entire salary cap wage bill so unless IL doesn't want to pay to the cap any more the only objection he could have is he didn't want to pay that particular player the offer Rads put to him and why would Rads put an offer to a player before checking with IL anyway?
pedro

Post by pedro »

all the dispensation money and the people after the first 25 will come out of IL pocket but needs to be handled better. Saints have a good size squad and academy and its all fine.