Marquee and half back slots for 2020

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Marquee and half back slots for 2020

Post by ancientnloyal »

Having to be realistic, who’d you like or think would be willing to join an edwards led Wigan for 2020 to replace George and which players could be given Marquee status

I’d give one marquee slot to Sam P
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Marquee and half back slots for 2020

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am Having to be realistic, who’d you like or think would be willing to join an edwards led Wigan for 2020 to replace George and which players could be given Marquee status

Im worried about the edwards appointment now, with rumours nothing is signed, he needs a war chest and im just not sure one is available for him, there is a lot of deadwood in this squad and a lot of them are on longer contracts than next year - Edwards isnt an idiot he's surely going to look at the situation and think even the best coach in the world would struggle with the current team.

If he does and does get the war chest i think Hastings would be my main target
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

In the last three years we have signed;

Bullock, Sammut, Hardaker, Greenwood, Hamlin, Burgess (again), Escare, Tommy (Again), Naverrete and Forsyth, Sarge (again)

In that same period weve lost;
Bateman, Sutton, S. Tomkins, Gregson, Tierney, Mickey Mac, J. Tomkins, Charnley, Frank Paul, Crosby, Mossop, Smith, Hampshire

Please feel free to correct if ive missed any

At least 5 of the players who've left would walk into our starting 13 imo
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:54 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am Having to be realistic, who’d you like or think would be willing to join an edwards led Wigan for 2020 to replace George and which players could be given Marquee status

Im worried about the edwards appointment now, with rumours nothing is signed, he needs a war chest and im just not sure one is available for him, there is a lot of deadwood in this squad and a lot of them are on longer contracts than next year - Edwards isnt an idiot he's surely going to look at the situation and think even the best coach in the world would struggle with the current team.

If he does and does get the war chest i think Hastings would be my main target
He will be starting from a low base so I am sure he will be successful. The question is, what is the definition of successful?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Sandow, Ford, Chase, Maloney.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Didn't we promise a marquee spot to Bateman when he returns. If so we could only give a 2 year deal to someone.

As for the other spot, I'm hoping Edwards has something up his sleeve. Maybe George Ford or Owen Farrell.

I went on a tour of Twickenham last week with work and mentioned to Clive Woodward about one of these returning to Wigan and he said you never know, especially when Edwards takes over.
Wigan_forever1985

First Try Tickle wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:27 am Didn't we promise a marquee spot to Bateman when he returns. If so we could only give a 2 year deal to someone.

As for the other spot, I'm hoping Edwards has something up his sleeve. Maybe George Ford or Owen Farrell.

I went on a tour of Twickenham last week with work and mentioned to Clive Woodward about one of these returning to Wigan and he said you never know, especially when Edwards takes over.
The issue with both of these is you can play longer at the highest level in union than league Farrell could legitimately be making the England team at 35/36 by which age he is useless to league. I cant see how any top flight RU player would come to us unless you went for a Danny Cipriani that comes with baggage
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think an issue someone just raised was Bateman being promised a marquee slot if he returns... who knows he could get injured and we would be fools again.

I think Chase would be a bad signing we have our work cut out already keeping Zak on the straight and narrow let alone get him back to the player he once was!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm I think an issue someone just raised was Bateman being promised a marquee slot if he returns... who knows he could get injured and we would be fools again.

I think Chase would be a bad signing we have our work cut out already keeping Zak on the straight and narrow let alone get him back to the player he once was!
I have seen nothing yet to suggest that Hardaker is anything other than a pale pale shadow of the player he was at Castleford before the drug taking.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm I think an issue someone just raised was Bateman being promised a marquee slot if he returns... who knows he could get injured and we would be fools again.

I have seen nothing yet to suggest that Hardaker is anything other than a pale pale shadow of the player he was at Castleford before the drug taking.
Proven support player - at wigan there is no one for him to support