How can Rugby League be grown?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

How can Rugby League be grown?

Post by nathan_rugby »

Clubs should offer schools free tickets to games to increase attendance and also the likelihood of acquiring fans.

Better promotion of the game from Sky.

RFL need to invest in the amateur youth game and increase participation numbers

Participation needs to increase in schools.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
markill

Re: How can Rugby League be grown?

Post by markill »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm Clubs should offer schools free tickets to games to increase attendance and also the likelihood of acquiring fans. as far as I'm aware, this happens, but sadly it doesn't magically make them become paid up fans after getting it for free

Better promotion of the game from Sky. unfortunately it isn't ever going to be Sky's priority to promote the sport, although they could promote their own coverage of it better I agree

RFL need to invest in the amateur youth game and increase participation numbers I'm sure they would if they had more money and better funding, hopefully the funding now available from the RLWC promises will allow this to happen, it's an opportunity the community clubs have to maximise

Participation needs to increase in schools. the latest BBC RL podcast was about this topic actually, it's probably a more complex issue than it seems at first but it would be great if more can be done - I think it will rely heavily on dedicated people giving up their own free time to drive more participation in schools
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

A focus on the entertainment value of the game on the pitch. I remember long range breaks being pretty common, but that's been stifeled by the full time professional atheletes leveling the playing field. I'd say we should make the game more attack oriented and remove some of the advantages of size and power against skill and elusiveness.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

For me the biggie is, the sport needs to be played more widely in schools. Easier said than done, though, I know.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Until you can sell your stars to the neutrals the sport wont grow end off. Players sell sports not teams or leagues.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm For me the biggie is, the sport needs to be played more widely in schools. Easier said than done, though, I know.
Where the sport is played by Schools and Amateur is the key. Whichever areas have large school participation levels and strong amateur leagues is where the sport will be popular.

M62 corridor it is.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm A focus on the entertainment value of the game on the pitch. I remember long range breaks being pretty common, but that's been stifeled by the full time professional atheletes leveling the playing field. I'd say we should make the game more attack oriented and remove some of the advantages of size and power against skill and elusiveness.
They are aiming for this with the reduction in interchanges, shot clocks etc.

Are viewing figures low because the game isn't Entertaining? Or are viewing figures low because the sport isn't marketed properly? Probably more a combination of both but mostly the latter.

Most people outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire do not even know Rugby League exists. Here in lies the problem.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

We need to do away with the salary cap and let teams pay big money for superstars. Big names attract big crowds.

In the 80's and 90's when Wigan had the unbeaten cup team full of superstars, there were always better gates at the away grounds as people came to see the superstars of league. The thought of seeing Offiah, Gene Miles, Ellery Hanley and the likes brought fans in that wouldn't normally watch the local team.

Fans of other teams would go and watch the big players, I remember going to a Saints game with my dad to watch Mal Meninga.

Its like the Latics when they was in the premier league, a lot of people got season tickets so they could go and watch the superstars playing for United and Liverpool.

If Edwards does turn up next season then that will really turn a few heads to our sport, especially if Wales have won the world cup. And if he can bring Owen Farrell with him even better.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:24 am
Mike wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm A focus on the entertainment value of the game on the pitch. I remember long range breaks being pretty common, but that's been stifeled by the full time professional atheletes leveling the playing field. I'd say we should make the game more attack oriented and remove some of the advantages of size and power against skill and elusiveness.
They are aiming for this with the reduction in interchanges, shot clocks etc.

Are viewing figures low because the game isn't Entertaining? Or are viewing figures low because the sport isn't marketed properly? Probably more a combination of both but mostly the latter.

Most people outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire do not even know Rugby League exists. Here in lies the problem.
I think its a lot to do with the fact the league means absolutely nothing in fact its has become a running joke. I dont mind the playoffs etc but the league should be the biggest prize and it isnt - not even close. Ever since Leeds won the comp from 5th the league has took less and less value. It takes all the intesity out the games because frankly they dont matter coaches simply keeping their powder dry through what is effectively a long preseason.

I think the league not being the focal point of the everything means teams run their season like a long distance runner, they will take losses because as long as they hit that top 5 its all to play for (and to point out currently 5th place

For example last year to win the premier league Man City won 84% of their games in winning the big prize - we won 76% however had warrington beat us in the final they would have won the highest honour while only winning 60% of their games.

If the winner of your league can do so with basically losing nearly half their matches then it says something about the sport.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

First place becomes Champions, then have a wee playoff comp between 2,3,4,5 for the Minor premiers