How can Rugby League be grown?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
wigtop

Re: How can Rugby League be grown?

Post by wigtop »

More positive posts like stevethegas' certainly encourages me.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

wigtop wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm More positive posts like stevethegas' certainly encourages me.
Me too - well said, Steve.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I also agree with Mike's comments about trying to make the game more open. As defences get better organised and fitness improves, the rules need to be tweaked to keep that balance between attack and defence, and to encourage risk-taking, adventurous play.

But the quality of play alone won't pull in extra fans. RU manage to have different competitions on pay tv and on free-to-air.
Quarter
Meanwhile RL have allowed the Challenge Cup to lose much of its value and appeal. It needs a re-launch, maybe move the final from Wembley, give more thought to timing, and ensure some mouth-watering clashes over at least the last 4 rounds.

One idea would be to play the 4 quarter-finals over 4 weeks, all on BBC on Sat or Sun afternoon with remaining league games on Thu or Fri.

There's been talk of the need for superstars as Hanley, Offiah or Robinson were, and more BBC coverage would help achieve this.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:01 pm I also agree with Mike's comments about trying to make the game more open. As defences get better organised and fitness improves, the rules need to be tweaked to keep that balance between attack and defence, and to encourage risk-taking, adventurous play.

But the quality of play alone won't pull in extra fans. RU manage to have different competitions on pay tv and on free-to-air.
Quarter
Meanwhile RL have allowed the Challenge Cup to lose much of its value and appeal. It needs a re-launch, maybe move the final from Wembley, give more thought to timing, and ensure some mouth-watering clashes over at least the last 4 rounds.

One idea would be to play the 4 quarter-finals over 4 weeks, all on BBC on Sat or Sun afternoon with remaining league games on Thu or Fri.

There's been talk of the need for superstars as Hanley, Offiah or Robinson were, and more BBC coverage would help achieve this.
BBC coverage could be the real opportunity to grow the sport and it is up to the RFL to recognise this and drive.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm
Wigan's between 2006 and 2014 is better than the 80s and 90s. I would not have guessed this.

I wonder how viewing figures compare.
wouldnt be great as there was none in the 80's