Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by morley pie eater »

Back to the op, i posted this under General RL a few days ago

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47518623

Even Guscott appreciates SE's coaching skills! I don't watch Union, but the moves and defensive strategies seem similar to League.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:01 pm Don't want to get into a pointless argument, but, just for the record, we don't all agree about Sam Powell.

I wouldn't rate him as best in the comp, but he's been an essential part of our *Championship-winning* team. Wane's strength was developing a structure around players' abilities rather than starting with some idealised version and trying to make players fit the mould.

He also worked within the limits imposed by affordability and the salary cap, unlike many keyboard warriors who seem to think we're still in the 80s or early 90s, forgetting it led to bankruptcy and losing CP.
Many valid points,Powell isn’t the best but Wane and now Lam and you know what Edwards,if he comes,will pick him to do a job.

Like it or not he’s here for awhile yet
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:44 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:01 pm Don't want to get into a pointless argument, but, just for the record, we don't all agree about Sam Powell.

I wouldn't rate him as best in the comp, but he's been an essential part of our *Championship-winning* team. Wane's strength was developing a structure around players' abilities rather than starting with some idealised version and trying to make players fit the mould.

He also worked within the limits imposed by affordability and the salary cap, unlike many keyboard warriors who seem to think we're still in the 80s or early 90s, forgetting it led to bankruptcy and losing CP.
Many valid points,Powell isn’t the best but Wane and now Lam and you know what Edwards,if he comes,will pick him to do a job.

Name one number 9 in superleague with less to offer than Powell
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Even if he can't, that doesn't make the points that morley is making wrong.

Both can, and are the case, in my view.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Strangely enough, the more the club follow the advice of the moaners - "Get rid of Wane, Matty, Sam T, Micky Mac, George" etc - the worse we get. Go figure!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:

Well having a no 9 who is “not the best” which really means not good enough is a poor show for Wigan. I think we all accept he is here for a while because he was bizarrely given an extended contract which is also part of the problem the club has at the moment. Poor decisions on the squad.

I don’t accept we have to have him because of affordability in that it was inevitable we had to have a cheap option at hooker. If we can’t afford better then that is just another part of the poor decision making due to wasting money elsewhere on a large squad half of whom will never make the grade and also possibly because Powell isn’t on peanuts anyway. I would not be at all surprised if he wasn’t on a fair old wedge.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:44 pm Many valid points,Powell isn’t the best but Wane and now Lam and you know what Edwards,if he comes,will pick him to do a job.

Strangely enough, the more the club follow the advice of the moaners - "Get rid of Wane, Matty, Sam T, Micky Mac, George" etc - the worse we get. Go figure!
Is there anyone who has suggested getting rid of all of them in that list? I certainly didn’t want Micky Mac or Sam T to go and the fact MM did is why we are having a discussion about Powell. We all have our different opinions on players and coaches.

The other problem is anyone expressing an opinion that say Smith wasn’t good enough probably expected a replacement who was better and not Powell being given the 7 shirt. If fans suggest a player isn’t good enough and the club goes and replaces them with someone worse that is when people’s heads hit the desk in frustration at the clubs squad management and it’s signings.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I can’t think of one offhand but it matters not a jot what I think or you think either for that matter,it’s what the coaches think,I erred on the side of perhaps a tad he of favouritism with him and Wane but he seems to be on the team sheet first with Lam does he not?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:44 pm Many valid points,Powell isn’t the best but Wane and now Lam and you know what Edwards,if he comes,will pick him to do a job.

I can’t think of one offhand but it matters not a jot what I think or you think either for that matter,it’s what the coaches think,I erred on the side of perhaps a tad he of favouritism with him and Wane but he seems to be on the team sheet first with Lam does he not?
Who is the alternative? Ganson isn’t it so he’s basically guaranteed to start if fit. If you are only going to have one first choice hooker it needs to be a better one.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

So he has just helped Wales to win the grand slam is this the last trophy he will win for a wile.If Wales go and win the World Cup or Wigan get relegated I can't see him comming
Last edited by pearsy on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.