Tonight’s final score

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Tonight’s final score

Post by Firestarter »

Just got in from work and watched game...... im one for proper slating wigan when we are s###e but........... we were playing 14 tonite imo........ wire never played the ball with a foot( or even attempted) all the game....... philbin never even stood up for his first 3 ptbs..... wire got every 50/50 decision and were something like 8-1 up on pens at one point...... wigans first 2-3 pens were on the first and second tackle which, imo is pointless and a easy way for a ref to even the stats........ forward passes were rife gor wire but only wigan seemed to get penalised........ when ratchford broke his pass was clearly 4 yard forward( just look at the lines) but nothing was seen..... luckily they didnt score.......wire fans( as usual) got there team out ov there own 25 with constant booing( which proves how weak our officials are under pressure)........on the game the sin binnings were very harsh, especially isas...... westwood has, and always will be a disgrace to the game......., my missus couldnt believe how bad his attack on escare was....... always picks his size does old pan face...... just like green in the final...... also mamo got away scott free by nearly pulling sammutts head off his shoulders.....on the game itself i thought we took ages before we were allowed an even playing field...... we then played some half decent stuff with george showing glimpses of what he is capable of......shorroks defo added something different at acting half and sammut made a massive difference to our nirmally poor kickibg game.......for me, ide rather not play sarge if hes playing right centre......last thing is my pet hate ......eddie hemming.....omg hes the most biased commentator ever...... everything wigan do he seees(even if its not even foul play)...... he was s@@@@@@g himself when wigan were coming back..... he was shouting forward for any wigan pass and missed loads ov wire ones...... he wont be missed one bit for his clueless pointless assessment of rl...... ive come to the conclusion that he is a total wigan hater who knows nothing about league and the rules.......oneards and upwards if we put that effort in every week we will get there eventually
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:29 am Just got in from work and watched game...... im one for proper slating wigan when we are s###e but........... we were playing 14 tonite imo........ wire never played the ball with a foot( or even attempted) all the game....... philbin never even stood up for his first 3 ptbs..... wire got every 50/50 decision and were something like 8-1 up on pens at one point...... wigans first 2-3 pens were on the first and second tackle which, imo is pointless and a easy way for a ref to even the stats........ forward passes were rife gor wire but only wigan seemed to get penalised........ when ratchford broke his pass was clearly 4 yard forward( just look at the lines) but nothing was seen..... luckily they didnt score.......wire fans( as usual) got there team out ov there own 25 with constant booing( which proves how weak our officials are under pressure)........on the game the sin binnings were very harsh, especially isas...... westwood has, and always will be a disgrace to the game......., my missus couldnt believe how bad his attack on escare was....... always picks his size does old pan face...... just like green in the final...... also mamo got away scott free by nearly pulling sammutts head off his shoulders.....on the game itself i thought we took ages before we were allowed an even playing field...... we then played some half decent stuff with george showing glimpses of what he is capable of......shorroks defo added something different at acting half and sammut made a massive difference to our nirmally poor kickibg game.......for me, ide rather not play sarge if hes playing right centre......last thing is my pet hate ......eddie hemming.....omg hes the most biased commentator ever...... everything wigan do he seees(even if its not even foul play)...... he was s@@@@@@g himself when wigan were coming back..... he was shouting forward for any wigan pass and missed loads ov wire ones...... he wont be missed one bit for his clueless pointless assessment of rl...... ive come to the conclusion that he is a total wigan hater who knows nothing about league and the rules.......oneards and upwards if we put that effort in every week we will get there eventually

Best post I’ve read all night 😊 I haven’t had chance to watch the game back yet but will tomorrow.

Westwood headbutted Escare twice, Morgan actually showed me inside his mouth after the game! Disgraceful behaviour again!

And the acting injured needs to be stamped out.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We need to go back to the basics. Cut out the errors and we will be fine.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:07 am We need to go back to the basics. Cut out the errors and we will be fine.
To be fair, there were some basics to be seen tonight.

I thought it was a good effort by the lads against a team who are flying high & full of confidence, confidence we are sadly lacking at the moment.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

The effort was there BUT.

1. Little organisation
2. Turnstile defence
3. No cutting edge

I'm not sure we have the squad to fix this.

I'm not sure I would blame Lam at this stage.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I thought there were a few green shoots of recovery in there after last week,
the lads put their all in.

If we ever get a level playing field which is doubtful we'll win some games.
We're not the cleverest team in the world to say the least and we don't help ourselves but come on enough's enough with this refereeing situation ,the wigan hating that has permeated down from that bstd hemmings over the years is now accepted as the norm and that helps the refs do what they want. The lads did ok last night in the face of that onslought .
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:29 am Just got in from work and watched game...... im one for proper slating wigan when we are s###e but........... we were playing 14 tonite imo........ wire never played the ball with a foot( or even attempted) all the game....... philbin never even stood up for his first 3 ptbs..... wire got every 50/50 decision and were something like 8-1 up on pens at one point...... wigans first 2-3 pens were on the first and second tackle which, imo is pointless and a easy way for a ref to even the stats........ forward passes were rife gor wire but only wigan seemed to get penalised........ when ratchford broke his pass was clearly 4 yard forward( just look at the lines) but nothing was seen..... luckily they didnt score.......wire fans( as usual) got there team out ov there own 25 with constant booing( which proves how weak our officials are under pressure)........on the game the sin binnings were very harsh, especially isas...... westwood has, and always will be a disgrace to the game......., my missus couldnt believe how bad his attack on escare was....... always picks his size does old pan face...... just like green in the final...... also mamo got away scott free by nearly pulling sammutts head off his shoulders.....on the game itself i thought we took ages before we were allowed an even playing field...... we then played some half decent stuff with george showing glimpses of what he is capable of......shorroks defo added something different at acting half and sammut made a massive difference to our nirmally poor kickibg game.......for me, ide rather not play sarge if hes playing right centre......last thing is my pet hate ......eddie hemming.....omg hes the most biased commentator ever...... everything wigan do he seees(even if its not even foul play)...... he was s@@@@@@g himself when wigan were coming back..... he was shouting forward for any wigan pass and missed loads ov wire ones...... he wont be missed one bit for his clueless pointless assessment of rl...... ive come to the conclusion that he is a total wigan hater who knows nothing about league and the rules.......oneards and upwards if we put that effort in every week we will get there eventually
Don't talk soft. We weren't playing 14. It's pathetic blaming the ref when clearly the better side by far won the game. It's just looking for excuses.

Wire lead the penalty count because once again our discipline was atrocious. It's not refs having a vendetta against us, it's our players giving away penalties. For every complaint about Philbin's play the ball's there's a counter argument of Hamlin and Sammut pretty much never being square at marker throughout the entire game.

As for forward passes, Wire had a perfectly good try ruled out for a forward pass that wasn't. It would have given them breathing space and probably put the game to bed so we were lucky Thaler got it wrong.

Yes, he got the sin binning of Isa wrong which was frustrating, but he probably got a call from the video ref about that, as he did when Sarginson's was correctly sin binned. And Mamo could have been off too. But as for Wigan being hard done to, we were lucky Greenwood wasn't off too for his challenge on Austin. Wire won because they were clearly the better team and Clark had a blinder.

There's no conceivable reason to think that we were hard done to by the ref other than through wearing cherry and white specs.

What I do agree on is that we got a bit more from Williams as the game went on, and I thought Sammut had a positive influence. Also telling was just how much quicker and effective we seem with Leuluai at hooker instead of Powell. I was also sceptical about Shorrocks as interchange hooker and while his actual effectiveness at hooker was minimal his contribution by setting up Davies' try - coming into the line almost like a fullback, was great to see.

The frustration is that while Lam thinks it was a turning point, we actually made the same old mistakes and had the same old problems. The effort was much better but I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's a derby game. We put in effort against Saints and Sydney too. We can put in effort against tough opposition but the biggest issue is poor attitude against perceived weaker teams. Next week will be more telling.

We're still struggling with lack of consistency in team selection. It seems Lam's mistake was making unforced changes when we had to reshuffle anyway due to injury. No one has been playing alongside the same players week in week out and for me that's one of the big reasons why we're struggling so much. It's not going to get any better on that front either as more players are returning while others like Sarge and Greenwood could be injured/suspended.

When you also consider that generally under Wane our game heavily revolved around our back row (and in Bateman, Greenwood and Farrell it was a quality back row) while now we've got an unfit Greenwood who has been in and out the side, Farrell injured and Bateman gone, it's no surprise we're struggling. Isa offers little as a back row, Hamlin puts effort in but doesn't always run the right lines or have much of an understanding of the role, Paisley was good at London but really struggled against Huddersfield. Our back row is weak and ineffective but it's such a key position in terms of defensive strength and attacking play.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 am
Don't talk soft. We weren't playing 14. It's pathetic blaming the ref when clearly the better side by far won the game. It's just looking for excuses.

Wire lead the penalty count because once again our discipline was atrocious. It's not refs having a vendetta against us, it's our players giving away penalties. For every complaint about Philbin's play the ball's there's a counter argument of Hamlin and Sammut pretty much never being square at marker throughout the entire game.

As for forward passes, Wire had a perfectly good try ruled out for a forward pass that wasn't. It would have given them breathing space and probably put the game to bed so we were lucky Thaler got it wrong.

Yes, he got the sin binning of Isa wrong which was frustrating, but he probably got a call from the video ref about that, as he did when Sarginson's was correctly sin binned. And Mamo could have been off too. But as for Wigan being hard done to, we were lucky Greenwood wasn't off too for his challenge on Austin. Wire won because they were clearly the better team and Clark had a blinder.

There's no conceivable reason to think that we were hard done to by the ref other than through wearing cherry and white specs.

What I do agree on is that we got a bit more from Williams as the game went on, and I thought Sammut had a positive influence. Also telling was just how much quicker and effective we seem with Leuluai at hooker instead of Powell. I was also sceptical about Shorrocks as interchange hooker and while his actual effectiveness at hooker was minimal his contribution by setting up Davies' try - coming into the line almost like a fullback, was great to see.

The frustration is that while Lam thinks it was a turning point, we actually made the same old mistakes and had the same old problems. The effort was much better but I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's a derby game. We put in effort against Saints and Sydney too. We can put in effort against tough opposition but the biggest issue is poor attitude against perceived weaker teams. Next week will be more telling.

We're still struggling with lack of consistency in team selection. It seems Lam's mistake was making unforced changes when we had to reshuffle anyway due to injury. No one has been playing alongside the same players week in week out and for me that's one of the big reasons why we're struggling so much. It's not going to get any better on that front either as more players are returning while others like Sarge and Greenwood could be injured/suspended.

When you also consider that generally under Wane our game heavily revolved around our back row (and in Bateman, Greenwood and Farrell it was a quality back row) while now we've got an unfit Greenwood who has been in and out the side, Farrell injured and Bateman gone, it's no surprise we're struggling. Isa offers little as a back row, Hamlin puts effort in but doesn't always run the right lines or have much of an understanding of the role, Paisley was good at London but really struggled against Huddersfield. Our back row is weak and ineffective but it's such a key position in terms of defensive strength and attacking play.
at what point did i state that the best teamdidnt win???? Iwas merely pointing out that we got the s@@t end of the stick....... i very rarely blame refs if u read my posts and yes we were badly disciplined but watch the game and tell me how many times they ACTUALLY played the ball correctly....... my point was that its ruining the game and thats why defences stand offside and hold down...... its part ov the game that is ruining it...... do me a favour pal, watch the nrl this weekend and watch how honest the refs try to be and how clean the ruck area is...... you will then appreciate how biased our refs are especially too a loud biasrd home crowd........ one more question, would wire have got all there own way at the DW? Not a chance in hell......we are very poor at the moment and should have lost a lot heavier to huddersfield and hull but lets not make out that our game is played on an even surface coz it hasnt been for a long time
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

warriors01 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 pm Nothing wrong with the Isa tackle. Patten should have been sin binned for starting the punch up along with the Westwood sending off and a drop out. Don't get me wrong we still would not have won the match because we only started playing in the last 20 minutes. Sacking the coach wont get us out this mess we need better players. Our attack is a shambles we need an organiser and a couple of hard running forwards. Clubb Naverette, and Sarginson to name a few are no were near good enough. Worrying to read that IL thinks that we haven't turned into a bad team overnight. Sorry to tell you IL but we have, look at the results, league tables don't lie. But its not surprising when we let our only organiser Sam go and the likes of Bateman and don't replace them with like for like. Hardaker is doing ok but he is not an organiser more of a support player but who have we brought in for Bateman simple nobody. Our last recruits are from the Championship and I always thought you brought new players to improve your team not for them to struggle to get into the 19 or go out on loan to other clubs, its just a waste of the salary cap. This squad cannot get us out this mess they are simply not good enough. IL and KR you have some serious work to do other than trying to promote on the road games. The question remains to be seen if you are up to the challenge otherwise the chances of Edwards being at Wigan are extremely remote because there is no way he will coach a Championship side.
Hardaker replaced Sam, Bullock replaced Sutton, Greenwood replaced Bateman, but came in early due to the Joel Tomkins incident.
You're correct in saying that we needed a ball player as Hardaker is a runner, so I presume that's why we signed Sammut. However I think having signed him we need to give him a run of games to see what he can do, constant changing doesn't help. I think we've used twenty six players so far, which is more than any other team and I guess that'll only increase in the next few weeks after Mondays disciplinary meeting at the RFL.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If we play like that we should beat salford next game....... only problem is, will we..... ill be suprised if anyone gets banned but greenwood didnt look too clever...... i think hamlin struggles on the edge as a back rower and is more suited as a middle........ sarge is pointless at right centre...... maybe morgan fullback and zak right centre nxt week as im sure budgie n manfredi will be back......ide defo keep sammut at 7 and maybe shorroks will get a start so tommy can come off the bench fresh.......i thought partington showed up well but i really dont see what nav adds to our team...... im sure theres much better championship props around