Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:Under Whelan, Wigan lost money hand over fist. They won the Challenge Cup in 2002 (not sure if he was in charge for the 1998 Super League win).
The players were given two sets of training gear and had to wash them themselves. Players were paying for their own membership at Whelans gyms. Some young players in the first team were earning less than
£8,500 per year.

Please don't put Whelan on a pedestal.

Lenagan has done more for Wigan R.L. than Whelan ever did. Has he made mistakes, of course he has.
As for not getting sponsorship, do you honestly believe he hasn't tried? Have a look at the Super League teams and how many major sponsors do you see? I'll guarantee that without looking them up you'll hardly be able to name any!!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ory?page=4
It doesn’t matter how much money we lost under DW. He covered it.

IL can’t.

That is the bottom line.

I am not putting DW on a pedestal I am just stating the obvious about the financial wherewithal of the two,of them.

All this IL wants tHe club to pay for itself is absolute nonsense. RL clubs don’t pay for themselves. They exist off the back of sponsorship which comes from Sky in the form of the TV money and from other sources which is often “sponsorship” for the owners or owners company like Moran at Wire.

IL sold his software company and while he’s richer than you or I he’s not got the £200m or so DW had stashed away. So it’s up to him to find genuine sponsors who are prepared to put a lot of cash into the club and there is no evidence he can do it.

The fact he runs the club on his own is not a positive. Wigan RL is solely reliant on him. On the deals he does and the money he can raise. No one has a monopoly on good ideas and no one is infallible including IL.

The only one put on a pedestal is IL. If we broke the salary cap under ML/DW or if we had sold quality and replaced them with dross, had the chairman actually lining to fans and had gone through this farce with Edwards the lynch mob would have been out. For some reason people still think the sun shines out of IL’s backside.

Crosty 54

Post by Crosty 54 »

Time IL and KR went
endoman

Post by endoman »

Can a top rugby league club be run purely as a business?

Look at what is happening in Cycling with Team Sky being taken over by Ineos. UK richest man stumping up around £50 million per year in " sponsorship" He's not after getting it back directly. Lenegan is worth a lot of money, how much I don't know, but many millions. A loss of £500K is a big headline amount, but is probably less than the interest he makes in a year from his wealth.

Rugby League should be at the heart of the local community. At the moment I'm seeing the sport move away from what I've known for 48 years of watching, and it's heartbreaking.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I get a feeling this was a little ploy from lenagan.
We will announce SE is coming, get Lam in for a year, Lam will come in for a year play better rugby win a thing or too, crowds are up. Lenagan would come out then saying how can we get rid of Lam after he’s done such a good job. One to think about....
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:55 pm I get a feeling this was a little ploy from lenagan.
We will announce SE is coming, get Lam in for a year, Lam will come in for a year play better rugby win a thing or too, crowds are up. Lenagan would come out then saying how can we get rid of Lam after he’s done such a good job. One to think about....
Or how about we wait for the facts.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:59 pm
Barney841 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:55 pm I get a feeling this was a little ploy from lenagan.
Or how about we wait for the facts.
I’ll say what I think thanks.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Let' s make it easy.
Have Wigan been more successful under Whelan or Lenagan?
Financially or trophy wise.

DaveO?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Thought about it and no.

That suggestion would mean IL has completely stitched up and lied to SE.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:47 pm Let' s make it easy.

DaveO?
That's too simplistic. You also need to bear in mind the standard of SL now compared to what it was under DW.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 am
No straw damn us wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:47 pm Let' s make it easy.

DaveO?
That's too simplistic. You also need to bear in mind the standard of SL now compared to what it was under DW.
No you don't, you can only play whats in front of you. And i dont agree with this constant the standards have declined. The game has changed it is more defense based with large fit players.

The era of amazing attack is gone as this required weak defense and tired teams.

Although with how we play at the moment other teams get to see what it was like.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.