Club Finances

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Club Finances

Post by nathan_rugby »

It is well documented that IL is using his own money to fund the club and this could be the reason why he has not bought the high profile players other clubs have done.
  • Has the London venture brought any clear benefit?

What came of the trip to Australia? It was documented as a money maker

I have seen posters on here mentioning us refusing to have a big money sponsor. What is the story with this?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Re: Club Finances

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 pm It is well documented that IL is using his own money to fund the club and this could be the reason why he has not bought the high profile players other clubs have done.

I have seen posters on here mentioning us refusing to have a big money sponsor. What is the story with this?
No doubt others will disagree but I can’t see any benefit certainly of the Australian folly,even Lenegan himself said it didn’t make anywhere near the expected money,though not a loss,it was as I said back then a pointless exercise at a time when attendances are down at the DW,you don’t slap your core support in the face.

London was an odd one,it didn’t get the crowds talked about but as a day out it was great fun,it was great to go to the broncos the other week too,but benefit to the club I can’t see any,but maybe behind the scenes glad handing goes on,it certainly won’t be as daft as the Australian trip which benefited very few.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:33 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 pm It is well documented that IL is using his own money to fund the club and this could be the reason why he has not bought the high profile players other clubs have done.

No doubt others will disagree but I can’t see any benefit certainly of the Australian folly,even Lenegan himself said it didn’t make anywhere near the expected money,though not a loss,it was as I said back then a pointless exercise at a time when attendances are down at the DW,you don’t slap your core support in the face.

London was an odd one,it didn’t get the crowds talked about but as a day out it was great fun,it was great to go to the broncos the other week too,but benefit to the club I can’t see any,but maybe behind the scenes glad handing goes on,it certainly won’t be as daft as the Australian trip which benefited very few.
Whilst you cannot fault the ambition, Rugby League is struggling in Lancashire and Yorkshire. Attention should be focused else where before opportunities like the above are prioritized.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Club Finances

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:It is well documented that IL is using his own money to fund the club and this could be the reason why he has not bought the high profile players other clubs have done.

Has the London venture brought any clear benefit?

I haven’t seen anyone saying we refuse to have a big money sponsor. I have posted IL has failed to secure one.

It’s been my view from more or less day one of IL owning the club that while he is rich he’s not got the seemingly bottomless pit of cash some who is super rich has. So he’s probably as put in as much as he can afford.

The trouble with that is we appear to have a shortfall as we are making losses. So if he can’t afford to bankroll the club he needs to find sponsorship of sufficient level to make up the required amount which he hasn’t or else we would not be posting losses.

The Aussie and London trips were bizarre. Neither as far as we know has led to anything long term nor prevented those losses from occurring.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’d go as far as to say those two trips alienated an already shrinking fan base to be honest
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:It is well documented that IL is using his own money to fund the club and this could be the reason why he has not bought the high profile players other clubs have done.

I haven’t seen anyone saying we refuse to have a big money sponsor. I have posted IL has failed to secure one.

It’s been my view from more or less day one of IL owning the club that while he is rich he’s not got the seemingly bottomless pit of cash some who is super rich has. So he’s probably as put in as much as he can afford.

The trouble with that is we appear to have a shortfall as we are making losses. So if he can’t afford to bankroll the club he needs to find sponsorship of sufficient level to make up the required amount which he hasn’t or else we would not be posting losses.

The Aussie and London trips were bizarre. Neither as far as we know has led to anything long term nor prevented those losses from occurring.
Out of curiosity apart from the league itself which club doed have a big name sponser?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:25 am

Out of curiosity apart from the league itself which club doed have a big name sponser?
Didn’t Warrington have Emirates as title sponsors a couple of years back
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:08 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:25 am

Didn’t Warrington have Emirates as title sponsors a couple of years back
Hull FC P&O Ferries
Saints Typhoo
London Virgin
Salford Mitsubishi Motors
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

So how many "big name" sponsors do you see here?

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54 ... eague-kits
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 am So how many "big name" sponsors do you see here?

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54 ... eague-kits
Sadly i say Stains have the biggest one on their away shirts.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.