O’Loughlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: O’Loughlin

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wouldn't Lockers playing as a prop take its toll more than a ball playing loose forward?

Surely he would be taking more drives up rather than passing?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 pm Lockers has already had several outstanding games this year and played long minutes too. He was probably the best player on the pitch in the World Club Challenge. That's why he's still considered a regular in the side.

It's no secret that he will miss games throughout the year due to injury and that sometimes he'll have to be spelled, however, a 13 has more in common with props than the second row these days. Generally the second row will play 80 minutes each and those in the middle will get spelled, so there's nothing wrong with O'Loughlin not playing the 80 minutes when pretty much everyone in the middle gets spelled.

His fitness and injury problems are more of an issue because we don't have an 80 minute hooker who is good enough. Leuluai has to be our starting 9 now but it means Shorrocks off the bench which reduces our forwards options. Then we've got players like Clubb who barely last a game without getting injured and usually at least one prop who is out of form or a youngster. It increases the risk of being short on numbers during a game.

However, I'm glad O'Loughlin is still in the side. Someone who can be hugely influential and a match winner and can offer at least 40 minutes a game is good enough in my opinion.
The bits of your post I put in bold sum up the issues with some players at the club. There are too many compromises being made. On the back of this season so far Leuluai, O'Loughlin and even Clubb have gone around once too often. The problem is we need their experience due to inadequacies in the rest of the squad but we really should not be relying in these particular players to provide this experience (nor should we be so reliant on them particular Lockers for leadership). The reason we are is because the club has not had a succession policy in place for these players.

In the 80's and 90's we shipped out players like Hanley well before they got to the retirement stage. I can remember one of my favorite players, Ian Potter, a hard nas nails forward capped for GB not being given a new contract at the ripe old age of 31.

Now we seem destined ot cling on to any experience we have too long because we either can't afford or have no idea how to find suitable replacements (or both).
As you mentioned, the issue does seem to be that we lack leaders within the side. What has made it worse is that the club has allowed Bateman and Tomkins to leave, and they were the two most natural leaders in the side after O'Loughlin. Not only were they leaders but they were top players. The led by example and were vocal on the pitch and I'd imagine they are quite inspiring players to be alongside. Does our new leadership group have that type of player? We've got Tommy, Faz and Clubb. Now fair enough the players picked them, but none of them seem to have the on field aura of players like Tomkins or Bateman. As an off field group of leaders I doubt you could pick a better 4 as they come across as great guys. But on field leaders? I'd say that's debatable. In fact Faz and Tommy seem the introverted and quiet type. Not many of the best leaders in the game seem to be like that.

When you think of the best leaders (whether officially captains or not) they are generally among the teams most influential players - and usually either the intelligent, vocal, scheming sort like Sinfield, Long, Briers or an absolute warrior of a forward like Farrell, Peacock, Sculthorpe etc. That's what we seem to be lacking but we've just let 2 players go who arguably fit into those categories or were growing into that sort of role.

That's why O'Loughlin is crucial right now. We need to forget about replacing O'Loughlin as a loose forward, because he's one of the last of a dying breed and we won't be able to sign a like for like replacement. It's better to just strengthen the team where it needs strengthening and not put too much emphasis on that one position. What we absolutely need to do though is replace O'Loughlin as a leader.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Hes been a legend but its time for him to hang up his boots, showing his age now and taking up a valuable spot. To say hes had several outstanding games this year is crazy! We've only played around 8 and hes done nothing that I couldn't do in a good few of those. Same for tommy and clubb, need to get rid and bring some fresh blood in. I think having those 3 players unfit in the side is seriously hampering us
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Although lockers was captain , Sam did a lot more captaining of the team than him imo....... you only had to be at the games to realise that...... sam was very vocal
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Lam's dilemma with Lockers is obvious: trying to turn round a struggling/losing team, you need your leaders and best players on the field.

Under Wane/Bitcon, we'd get a few wins and then manage Lockers' game time, both in terms of minutes played and games off.

Now we're up against the law of diminishing returns: if Lammy keeps playing Lockers for long minutes, his performances will drop off even more (physically and mentally). And if he's not given, say, a 4 match break fairly soon, he won't be "there" for the play-offs, if we get there.

Additionally, Lockers' own attitude is likely to be to want to play for the team's sake. Wane and Bitcon had the standing/authority to make Lockers follow their plan. Does a new, temporary coach carry the same weight against a club legend?

This is the crucial test for Lam - rest Lockers and risk not making the top 5, or play him, possibly scrape into 5th, but lose him for the play-offs.

What would you do?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 pm Although lockers was captain , Sam did a lot more captaining of the team than him imo....... you only had to be at the games to realise that...... sam was very vocal
I think all fullbacks should be vocal and take lead roles.

They rarely ever defend in the line so get the opportunity to view the whole line and call out commands. In attack, fullbacks often are not involved in the earlier plays so should be vocal and help organising.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:43 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 pm Although lockers was captain , Sam did a lot more captaining of the team than him imo....... you only had to be at the games to realise that...... sam was very vocal
I think all fullbacks should be vocal and take lead roles.

They rarely ever defend in the line so get the opportunity to view the whole line and call out commands. In attack, fullbacks often are not involved in the earlier plays so should be vocal and help organising.
i agree and sam read a game very well...... we need to find a different strategy with zak...... maybe we need another leader in our ranks...... maybe when faz is fit
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think Zak could be a great leader and the onus is on him to dominate his position
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:47 pm Whilst O'Loughlin may be the last of a dying breed of ball playing 13s, there does not seem to have been any succession plan at all, regardless of whether we want a ball playing 13 or just another second row.

Over the years we have seen:

- Tomkins cover 13 (Probably a good candidate based on his pre-union days)
- Farrell - Too good as left 2nd row to play loose and doesn't have the ball skills to play 13
- Bateman - Very good candidate but doesn't have the ball skills but irrelevant as now left
- Isa - Would be a small second rower playing 13.
- Hamlin - Would be a small second rower playing 13
The best 13 behind Lockers with a huge future never gets a mention. Geroge Lawler. Would love to get him here.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Cherry_Warrior wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:39 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:47 pm Whilst O'Loughlin may be the last of a dying breed of ball playing 13s, there does not seem to have been any succession plan at all, regardless of whether we want a ball playing 13 or just another second row.

Over the years we have seen:

- Tomkins cover 13 (Probably a good candidate based on his pre-union days)
- Farrell - Too good as left 2nd row to play loose and doesn't have the ball skills to play 13
- Bateman - Very good candidate but doesn't have the ball skills but irrelevant as now left
- Isa - Would be a small second rower playing 13.
- Hamlin - Would be a small second rower playing 13
The best 13 behind Lockers with a huge future never gets a mention. Geroge Lawler. Would love to get him here.
That's interesting Cherry, his stats don't stand out but obviously you have seen something in his game that has convinced you that he would be a good fit for Wigan.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/player/36 ... -%3Elawler
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards