Club Statement: Gabriel Hamlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Club Statement: Gabriel Hamlin

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

medlocke wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:06 pm Wasn't Newton a Wakefield Trinity player when it went tits up?, Therefore nothing to do with Wigan
What the actual F**k Medders are you sick in the head? Does it matter who he was playing for? He had a problem and got NO help. Took his life and you want to split hairs over what club he was at at the time he did it
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:26 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:06 pm Wasn't Newton a Wakefield Trinity player when it went tits up?, Therefore nothing to do with Wigan
What the actual F**k Medders are you sick in the head? Does it matter who he was playing for? He had a problem and got NO help. Took his life and you want to split hairs over what club he was at at the time he did it
It does matter, Surely the duty of care should be to the last club he was playing for, Not a club he played for 5 years previous, It was you that brought him into the argument to prove a point, Just saying it as it is
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

If I got sacked for taking cocaine my employer would not offer me help. Why should Wigan? Why should sport be different?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

medlocke wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:02 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:26 pm
It does matter, Surely the duty of care should be to the last club he was playing for, Not a club he played for 5 years previous, It was you that brought him into the argument to prove a point, Just saying it as it is
Agree with this
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 pm If I got sacked for taking cocaine my employer would not offer me help. Why should Wigan? Why should sport be different?
And this.

Players need to realise that playing professional sport is a privelage and playing for Wigan is certainly a privelage. They earn lots of money for doing so and should not be molly coddled because they were stupid enough to take drugs. The game does not owe them a living, they forfeit the privelages when they flaunt the law and bring the club into disrepute. If they need help, go to a doctor like everyone else does.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:19 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:04 pm They have difficulties too.
Sure, and l wouldn't object to the club offering a helping hand to any former player. But to compare our responsibility for a current 22 year old player to that for someone who played for us for part of a season 34 years ago (in Kenny's case) is surely stretching things a bit far?
Which is my point exactly

What someone does 5, 10 -20 odd years after playing is another matter to a player going off the rails whilst still under contract is another.

Perhaps those sanctimonious keyboard warriors on here who have never made a single mistake in their life would enjoy one of their family members making a mistake and thrown not only to the dogs but also be turned into some sort of social pariah without help?

Before you start going on about people being sacked in real life for these sort of things - yes they do , but not with it splashed all over the media both here and in Australia and also the subject of forums or newspapers or comments from the likes of Brian bloody Carney.

I do not know Hamlin, BUT I can guess he is distraught and shocked at upsetting his family and his friends and then acknowledging he has let himself down and possibly destroyed his career in the process. The lad cocked up and will and should be offered help as far as the club can. We are not suggesting or discussing we offer a new deal or a pay rise. That simply will not happen.

Will he play again depends on WHAT he is exactly charged with and where that chance would come from.
If, for arguments sake, Hamlin came out and said he took cocaine on a night out in Wigan whilst drunk with his pals and “thought he would get away with it” or “it was a drunken mistake”

Do you think the club still have a duty of care?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 pm If I got sacked for taking cocaine my employer would not offer me help. Why should Wigan? Why should sport be different?
this....

The simple truth is this, would your employer in the real world offer Joe Bloggs down the factory on the lathe or on the production line tooting the columbian marching powder a duty of careen they wouldn't they'd offer you your P45 and a quick march off the premises between two burly blokes.

It really is time for society to take a check of this phoney hand wringing that goes on with seemingly any sort of bad news and where drugs are thats on you bus,no one forces them on you its personal choice.

I would say that second chances should be given in the form of a new employer etc,i dont think anyone is beyond redemption but the sooner society itself starts to take control of the phoniness there the better.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well we don't even know what drugs Hamlin is being charged with, do we? What I will say if that I've never liked the muddying of the waters between performance-enhancing drugs and so called 'recreational drugs'. I'm not saying either should be free from sanction, but I think they should be treated as totally different situations.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

"If you are going to post the rumour then you should at least give a little more information...
If all you have got is ale house gossip then you should keep your mouth shut."

This is the comment i got when i posted this rumour on a Wigan player taking drugs so who looks stupid now
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:11 am "If you are going to post the rumour then you should at least give a little more information...
If all you have got is ale house gossip then you should keep your mouth shut."

This is the comment i got when i posted this rumour on a Wigan player taking drugs so who looks stupid now
Hardly wrong is ddtftf
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame